• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 Carolina Panthers Thread - Move to the 2023 thread

if Baker plays good enough to warrant the franchise wouldn't that put the Panthers out of drafting a good QB?

if Baker plays good enough to warrant the franchise wouldn't that put the Panthers out of drafting a good QB?

No. Yes, if he was good enough to warrant a huge contract.

If you believe the draft experts, next year's draft is loaded with QBs, with between 4 and 7 worthy of going in the first round. I don't know if there are even 7 teams who would draft a QB at this point, and certainly not before the Panthers would be drafting no matter how good Baker is.

no I mean they would have won a few games that would put them out of a good draft position

Nah. It would be ridiculous to skip out on drafting a good QB unless they sign Baker to a long term deal. Franchise tag Baker and a legit rookie QB on an improving team would be a good place to be.

Ph I think what he means is if Baker has the kind of year that makes the Panthers want to franchise him, wouldn't the Panthers have dropped down in the 1st round (past where the good QBs would be drafted) due to the better record?

Ph I think what he means is if Baker has the kind of year that makes the Panthers want to franchise him, wouldn't the Panthers have dropped down in the 1st round (past where the good QBs would be drafted) due to the better record?

If that's his argument, it's not a good argument. The franchise tag is one year. They should be debating whether or not to draft a 1st round QB in a supposedly strong class or pay Baker the 5/200-220 or so contract he wants. If they decide to franchise tag Baker instead of paying him then that should come with deciding to draft a QB. In that case, draft position doesn't matter. They can just trade up.

If that's his argument, it's not a good argument. The franchise tag is one year. They should be debating whether or not to draft a 1st round QB in a supposedly strong class or pay Baker the 5/200-220 or so contract he wants. If they decide to franchise tag Baker instead of paying him then that should come with deciding to draft a QB. In that case, draft position doesn't matter. They can just trade up.

if all they want to do is franchise Baker instead of going ahead and locking him down, why not just instead start over, finally draft a 1st round QB, use the franchise tag on someone else?

So they’ll have a solid starting QB and don’t have to throw the 1st rounder out there as a starter immediately. Like the Niners did with Lance.

Makers you so jealous of the Chargers. They got Herbert with the 6th pick and that guy's a 15 year world-beater.

Maybe you can sign Lamar. The apparent hold up from what I've heard is he wants whatever the number is fully guaranteed, just like Watson.

if he's a transcendent quarterback, then why didn't they win more? why does he only have one playoff win?

i suppose it could be a Stafford situation where the team was so legitimately bad that it actually held him back, but the Texans never seemed Lions-caliber bad.

i'm not a football guy, so i'm genuinely asking

Watson is 28-26 as a starter. He won 10 and 11 games with the Texans his 2nd and 3rd seasons.

The franchise blows.

Their strategy for emerging from being a garbage franchise for 35 years is paying a serial milestone 40 of the salary cap.

Back