• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 College Football Coaching Carousel

Urban makes his own strip club.

Herm may be ready to hang it all up and go fishing but I thoroughly enjoyed him as a studio analyst and wish he would return doing the same.

Herm may be ready to hang it all up and go fishing but I thoroughly enjoyed him as a studio analyst and wish he would return doing the same.
He didn't have one losing season in 4+ seasons at Arizona State. Considering what alot of other coaches have done, it seem to hang him out to dry for NCAA violations is a little harsh. His tenure was definitely not the spectacular failure everyone thought it would be when he was hired.

Even though AZ State lost to EMU, don't think the firing had much to do with Herm's W-L record. Apparently, the staff openly committed tons of recruiting violations, and the program was spiraling. FWIW, had heard that Wellman wanted to hire Herm Edwards many years ago (possibly before hiring Caldwell or Grobe), but at the time, Edwards didn't have a college degree; and WF wouldn't waive that requirement.

Hard to believe that two Power V coaches were fired this season before Auburn dumped Harsin. Don't really understand mid-season (in this case, early season) firings. Everyone on staff was hired by the head coach; so, a radical change in coaching philosophy is unlikely; recruits know the remaining coaches are all lame ducks; so, it doesn't help recruiting. Now, the remaining coaches are short-staffed as a former assistant is now the HC, and the former HC receives his fully salary (or his buyout) for doing literally nothing. I guess it may give Nebraska and Arizona State a head start on the coaching search, but that doesn't need to wait to start until the actual firing if the AD has a clue.

He didn't have one losing season in 4+ seasons at Arizona State. Considering what alot of other coaches have done, it seem to hang him out to dry for NCAA violations is a little harsh. His tenure was definitely not the spectacular failure everyone thought it would be when he was hired.

I mean... he did no better than his predecessor while incurring a bunch of recruiting violations. It wasn't as bad from a W-L perspective as people expected, but it was clearly not a success.

I mean... he did no better than his predecessor while incurring a bunch of recruiting violations. It wasn't as bad from a W-L perspective as people expected, but it was clearly not a success.
What is the level of success at ASU that they are seeking? Compete for a PAC-12 title every year? That's going to take some time for a coach to do. If Jayden Daniels had stayed maybe they had a shot, but as soon as he left, this was going to be a rebuilding year. Edwards got rid of the coaches who committed the violations, and he had decent coverage as the university put him out there as a CEO of the team, and not into the nitty gritty details of recruiting.

Other than say about 20 teams who realistically have playoff chances, I would think the requirements to keep your job as a college head coach are: make bowl games, don't commit crimes, no sex scandals, don't piss off boosters, and don't commit any major NCAA violations.

Nebraska just fired their DC Erik Chinander. By the time the season is over, Huskers may not have any coaches left.

First time I think I've seen an interim head coach fire a coordinator. Certainly the first time it happened after Week 3.

What is the level of success at ASU that they are seeking? Compete for a PAC-12 title every year? That's going to take some time for a coach to do. If Jayden Daniels had stayed maybe they had a shot, but as soon as he left, this was going to be a rebuilding year. Edwards got rid of the coaches who committed the violations, and he had decent coverage as the university put him out there as a CEO of the team, and not into the nitty gritty details of recruiting.

Other than say about 20 teams who realistically have playoff chances, I would think the requirements to keep your job as a college head coach are: make bowl games, don't commit crimes, no sex scandals, don't piss off boosters, and don't commit any major NCAA violations.

I believe the primary violations were hosting recruits during the COVID season - I don't really buy that Herm didn't know about that because would he not be part of that recruiting process?

I don't know exactly what their expectations were, but it was clearly to win more than 58% of your games because that is what Graham did. Edwards did worse than that.

I don't really understand why this one is controversial at all. He wasn't winning at the level expected, and the program was trending downwards with exodus of coaches and players and impending NCAA sanctions.

I believe the primary violations were hosting recruits during the COVID season - I don't really buy that Herm didn't know about that because would he not be part of that recruiting process?

I don't know exactly what their expectations were, but it was clearly to win more than 58% of your games because that is what Graham did. Edwards did worse than that.

I don't really understand why this one is controversial at all. He wasn't winning at the level expected, and the program was trending downwards with exodus of coaches and players and impending NCAA sanctions.
I think firing a coach at a program like ASU, that doesn't have realistic playoff expectations, who has not had a single losing in his first 4 seasons is jumping the gun. But the NCAA violations may be what did it.

When you look at Herm's 4 seasons in comparison to Frost or Geoff Collins or even Chip Kelly, ASU did much better than those other schools.

Rumored GT candidates:

Deion (also a rumored candidate at Auburn)
Todd Monken (UGA OC; also a rumored candidate for the AZ State job)
Shawn Clark (App HC)
Jamey Chadwell (Coastal HC - kind of surprised he's still at CC; no idea why UVA preferred Tony Elliot over Chadwell)

Brian Harsin may have staved off the executioner with an incredibly lucky home win over Mizzou (Elliah Drinkwitz id also on the hot seat; these crap SEC and Big 10 programs just churn through coaches and continue to blow). Mizzou's kicker missed a 26 yard FG to win the game in reg, and then the TIgers fumbled the game winning TD in OT.

Seems like Harsin should just forget this whole thing ever happened and go back to Boise St

Rumored GT candidates:

Deion (also a rumored candidate at Auburn)
Todd Monken (UGA OC; also a rumored candidate for the AZ State job)
Shawn Clark (App HC)
Jamey Chadwell (Coastal HC - kind of surprised he's still at CC; no idea why UVA preferred Tony Elliot over Chadwell)

Brian Harsin may have staved off the executioner with an incredibly lucky home win over Mizzou (Elliah Drinkwitz id also on the hot seat; these crap SEC and Big 10 programs just churn through coaches and continue to blow). Mizzou's kicker missed a 26 yard FG to win the game in reg, and then the TIgers fumbled the game winning TD in OT.

I doubt Shawn Clark leaves App for GT, Clark played at App and seems to love it. I know money always talks, but the guy ain't making peanuts at App I'm sure. Plus, does anyone realize how close App is to being winless this year. Troy wins that game 99 out of 100 times and as great as the upset of A&M was, that easily could've gone A&M's way.

Scott Satterfield played at App and loved it too. And if Clark leaves, Satterfield might replace him.

Tech fired their AD too.

Back