• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 MLB Season Thread

Judge is no Jimmy Leyritz, but he is pretty ridiculous.

Two other rule changes that should be implemented:
1. Once the at-bat has commenced, if the batter is not fully in the box because he is adjusting his batting gloves or other gear then the pitcher should be allowed to pitch anyway. Do that shit once, and do it before you get up to bat.
2. Other than the helmet/c-flap, if a batter gets hit on any sort of protective gear it should just be a ball and not a free base. Wear it all you want, but you shouldn't get to benefit from it.

Judge ties all time great Babe Ruth for home runs in a season. And is one away from Roger Maris' Yankees and AL records.

Nice outing for Pirates closer Trevor Crowe:

• Enters the game in the bottom of the 9th, Pirates holding a comfortable 8-4 lead.
  • Aaron Judge leads off, and Crowe serves up HR #60. 8-5 Pirates
  • Anthony Rizzo doubles
  • Gleybar Torres walks
  • Josh Donaldson singles
  • Giancarlo Stanton hits a walk-off grand slam

Crowe faces 5 batters. Two HRs, a double, single and a walk. All 5 batters faced score. Impossible to do worse than that.

Judge is no Jimmy Leyritz, but he is pretty ridiculous.

Two other rule changes that should be implemented:
1. Once the at-bat has commenced, if the batter is not fully in the box because he is adjusting his batting gloves or other gear then the pitcher should be allowed to pitch anyway. Do that shit once, and do it before you get up to bat.
2. Other than the helmet/c-flap, if a batter gets hit on any sort of protective gear it should just be a ball and not a free base. Wear it all you want, but you shouldn't get to benefit from it.
A man of the lost ages.

Shameless self-promotion post: I had a bucket list moment at the Braves-Phillies game last Sunday. I got to play NARCO, the walk-up music for William Contreras, LIVE in the stadium, on the 🎺. Coolest musical moment ever…Braves TV announcers called me Tommy Trumpet, and said “that’s going to drive Mets fans nuts” 😂

Shameless self-promotion post: I had a bucket list moment at the Braves-Phillies game last Sunday. I got to play NARCO, the walk-up music for William Contreras, LIVE in the stadium, on the 🎺. Coolest musical moment ever…Braves TV announcers called me Tommy Trumpet, and said “that’s going to drive Mets fans nuts” 😂
Ha! I saw you on the broadcast!

al MVP race is crazy you have two players who are putting up all time records stats

Last edited:
Judge's 60th snuck up on me-the HR race that I was watching out of the corner of my eye was Pujols' race for 700.

Saw you. You cut your gig. Way to represent!

10 days to go in the MLB season. The season was supposed end Sunday October 2, but because of the lockout, the season ends on Wednesday October 5. Also, there are no play-in games this year. If two teams tie for the division or to get into the playoffs, tiebreakers decide it with head to hear record as the first tiebreaker. One of other nuances this year is that there aren't as many playoff off-days. In previous years, teams could often go with 3 starters in the post-season because of off and travel days. Not happening this year, so if playoff series go the distance, teams will need to use their 4th and 5th starters. For example, if the Braves are an NL wild-card team and their wild-card series goes 3 games (it's best 2 of 3), and the NLDS goes 5 games (its best 3 of 5 games), the Braves will have one off day between the start of the post-season, and the end of the NLDC (8 games in 9 days). Also, there is only one day off between the end of the season, and the start of the Wild-Card series.

This MLB post-season will be radically different than years past.

Ok, here are the current matchups if there are no changes (there will be) over the next ten days:

AL

Byes: #1 Astros, #2 Yankees

Wildcard series:

#5 Rays at #4 Blue Jays (all games in Toronto) - winner plays the Astros

#6 Mariners at #3 Guardians (all games in Cleveland) - winner plays the Yankees

With Orioles 4 games back of Seattle, it looks like everything is set in the AL except for who is seeded #4, 5 and 6 between TB, TOR and SEA. Right now, TOR has a two game lead over TB and 2.5 lead over SEA.

NL

Byes: #1 Dodgers, #2 Mets

Wildcard series:

#5 Padres at #4 Braves (all games in ATL) - winner plays the Dodgers
#6 Phillies at #3 Cardinals (all games in STL) - winner plays the Mets

NL remains more in flux. Braves can still catch the Mets for the #2 seed as the Mets have 1.5 game lead. They still play 3 more times (this upcoming weekend in ATL - weather could be an issue). Braves trail the head to head 9-7, but a Braves sweep give ATL the tiebreaker. The Braves play @ Washington for 3, Mets for 3 @ MIami for 3. The Mets host Miami for 2 (and will miss Alcantara), and Washington for 3 in addition to playing at ATL. The Brewers remain in contention for the #5 or #6 spot. They are 1.5 games behind the Phillies (Phillies hold the tiebreaker with the Brewers) and 3 games behind SD (Padres hold the tiebreaker over the Brewers). The remaining schedule for each:

Brewers:

• STL for 2
  • Miami for 4 (the Brewers will face Alcantara)
  • @ARIZ for 3

Phillies:

• @ Cubs for 3
  • @ Nationals for 4
  • @ Astros for 3

Padres:

• Dodgers for 3
  • White Sox for 3
  • Giants for 3

If it comes down to Wednesday for a playoff spot or playoff seeding, all 15 MLB games start at 4:10 pm that day.

Last edited:
So the Mariners can't face terrible teams in the playoffs? What a boost to their win chances!

FWIW, if its Mariners v. Guardians, whomever wins that series, will take them versus the Yankees as a big dog. Like them both. Think anyone could win the AL.

Here is the Wildcard Series Schedule (ESPN will be interrupting college football programming on ESPN and ESPN2 on Saturday night):

WILD CARD SERIES (ALL TIMES ET)​

Friday, Oct. 7
Rays @ Guardians, Game 1, 12:07 p.m., ESPN
Phillies @ Cardinals, Game 1, 2:07 p.m., ABC
Mariners @ Blue Jays, Game 1, 4:07 p.m., ESPN
Padres @ Mets, Game 1, 8:07 p.m., ESPN
Saturday, Oct. 8
Rays @ Guardians, Game 2, 12:07 p.m., ESPN2
Mariners @ Blue Jays, Game 2, 4:07 p.m., ESPN
Padres @ Mets, Game 2, 7:37 p.m., ESPN
Phillies @ Cardinals, Game 2, 8:37 p.m., ESPN2
Sunday, Oct. 9
Mariners @ Blue Jays, Game 3, 2:07 p.m., ABC (if necessary)
Rays @ Guardians, Game 3, 4:07 p.m., ESPN (if necessary)
Padres @ Mets, Game 3, 7:37 p.m., ESPN (if necessary)
Phillies @ Cardinals, Game 3, 8:37 p.m., ESPN2 (if necessary)

Link

Here is the Wildcard Series Schedule (ESPN will be interrupting college football programming on ESPN and ESPN2 on Saturday night):

WILD CARD SERIES (ALL TIMES ET)​

Friday, Oct. 7
Rays @ Guardians, Game 1, 12:07 p.m., ESPN
Phillies @ Cardinals, Game 1, 2:07 p.m., ABC
Mariners @ Blue Jays, Game 1, 4:07 p.m., ESPN
Padres @ Mets, Game 1, 8:07 p.m., ESPN
Saturday, Oct. 8
Rays @ Guardians, Game 2, 12:07 p.m., ESPN2
Mariners @ Blue Jays, Game 2, 4:07 p.m., ESPN
Padres @ Mets, Game 2, 7:37 p.m., ESPN
Phillies @ Cardinals, Game 2, 8:37 p.m., ESPN2
Sunday, Oct. 9
Mariners @ Blue Jays, Game 3, 2:07 p.m., ABC (if necessary)
Rays @ Guardians, Game 3, 4:07 p.m., ESPN (if necessary)
Padres @ Mets, Game 3, 7:37 p.m., ESPN (if necessary)
Phillies @ Cardinals, Game 3, 8:37 p.m., ESPN2 (if necessary)

Link
Does ESPN even have 4 MLB announcer teams?

so of course im flying to Dallas for the Red River Showdown on Friday. Then flying home right after the game.

I have to laugh at the timing of the Mariners games and my plans. So good. So funny. So annoying.

Phils go 7-13 to end the season (last two didn't really matter, in fairness), but still back into the playoffs. I still have not been to a playoff game, so I'd love for the Phillies to be St Louis so I can make it to Philadelphia for one.

The entire Phillies/Cards series will be played in St. Louis.

Kind of surprised that the Mets are such prohibitive favorites over San Diego.

At FanDuel, the Mets are -194 (Padres +164). Blake Snell has given up one run or less in 6 of his last 7 starts, and he has dealt in the post-season in the past. Yu Darvish is 5-1 with a 1.85 ERA in September/October. Joe Musgrove has been nails too. Also, Juan Soto has always killed the Mets and has great numbers at Citi Field, and Machado was a monster down the stretch. Not saying the Padres will definitely win the series, but they have a much better chance than the odds would dictate, particularly given Scherzer's and DeGrom's tepid performances. If the Mets do lose game #1, the entire fanbase will turn on them.

Back