• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 Pit Fantasy Football League - Dynasty League Filled, Members Please See New Thread

Lone Wolf and Ghost Surfer should both be docked a win for their performances this week. Also, congrats YB!

THANKSGIVING STATE OF THE LEAGUE

giphy.gif

There isn't much to say other than I am sorry for the lack of recaps the past couple of weeks. I could give you a bevy of reasons, excuses, and semi-humorous gifs, but that would all fall short of what I have promised and not delivered. So please accept this mea culpa and hopefully the rest of the way I will be the commissioner this league deserves.

WEEKS 9–11 SCORES

1669222463686.png 1669222512177.png 1669222557812.png 1669222599905.png

GIVE THANKS
In the spirit of the holiday (and because I'm already so far behind that I don't want to do a disservice to recaps by messing up a three-week version), everyone gets a mention in this week's recap. There are no losers during the holidays (except the Detroit Lions), so I am going to let everyone know what they should be thankful for this week:

mako: mako is thankful for the 4th graders who helped him autodraft his team and for Travis Kelce. Those two things are definitely related. After Triple surprised many with his rookie season in 2021, I was doubtful that another rookie could match his success. But through eleven weeks, mako's team has delivered as good a season as he could have hoped for and Travis Kelce has led the way. League top scorer, likely playoff berth, and who knows what can happen from there. But mako should be thankful that his semi-autodrafted roster has panned out to this degree. Also mako should be thankful for JMan for leaving the Pit FFL and opening up the spot for him.

DEACHAWK: DeacHawk is thankful that YoungBuck took Cam Akers instead of Nick Chubb. While DeacHawk put together a great overall team and is deservedly leading his division, the linchpin of his success has been Nick Chubb. Averaging 18 points a game and only having two games all year in single digits, getting the RB3 that late in the 2nd round of a 20-team draft is remarkable, and I can only imagine the anxiety he had while waiting for YoungBuck to submit his pick. I'm sure DeacHawk will find a way to thank Chubb even more if he leads to the championship success that eluded him two seasons ago.

Fighting Cocks: The Fighting Cocks of Appalachia are thankful for tiebreakers. After a few bad weeks from Josh Allen and a devastating injury to Cooper Kupp, it easily could be all she wrote for the Cocks. But thankfully a couple of head to head wins over key wildcard rivals, the Cocks are still in 2nd in the division and have the best playoff odds for a 6-5 team outside of SD3 (more on that in a bit). The Cocks have a couple of weeks to get the necessary wins on the board before a huge divisional matchup against DeacHawk to wrap the season, he will hope that those tiebreakers hold and he can sneak in to an 8 seed and make some magic happen.

Mrs. I/O: Mrs. I/O is thankful for Patrick Mahomes and total vindication. The second overall pick can be both a blessing and a curse, and Mrs. I/O gambled hard when she took Mahomes in that spot. But that pick has proved to be a masterstroke and has propelled Mrs. I/O to the brink of a playoff berth. All you can ask for with your first round pick is that they produce at a first round level, no matter the position. Mahomes has done that to the highest possible degree, and with an easy KC schedule coming up, he could be a catalyst for a Mrs. I/O championship run.

redwing: Redwing is thankful for the Bears finally allowing Justin Fields to do things on the field, and for Justin Fields learning how to be an extremely successful fantasy QB. It all looked a bit suspect for redwing midway through the season; Tom Brady looked lost as his personal life crumbled around him and redwing had slipped to 4-4 overall. Then, out of nowhere, the Bears decided to let Justin Fields do things he was good at, spurring redwing on to glorious success in recent weeks. Back-to-back high scores in Weeks 9 & 10 on the back of Fields' stellar play got redwing firmly back in the wildcard mix, and though redwing's run was stopped by a narrow loss to DeacHawk in Week 11, Fields' play remains solid.

Ph: Ph is thankful for the plethora of recap mentions he has had this season, easily tops in the league. Ph won in Week 9, lost in Week 10, and won in Week 11. He has Thanksgiving this week. He also plays Peach this week.

Lone Wolf: Lone Wolf is thankful for Ghostsurfer reverting back to Disco Kid and helping him move to the top the division with three weeks to play. Lone Wolf has had a tremendous season to this point, but stumbled mightily in Week 11 and looked like he might fall into the mess that is the wildcard race. However, Ghostsurfer somehow stumbled even harder, gifting Lone Wolf a win with what I believe to be the lowest winning score since I have been part of the league. Lone Wolf remains at 8-3 and with the head-to-head tiebreak has taken the division lead. Sometimes all you need is a little bit of luck to go your way in fantasy football.

Ghostsurfer: Ghost is thankful for early season success. It doesn't matter when you win, it doesn't matter how you win, it just matters that you did win and Ghost got himself plenty of those to allow him the necessary cushion to weather some late-season losses. It may get a little more anxious than he had hoped for, but he is still on track and can enjoy his Turkey Day in relative peace.

Mr. I/O: Mr. I/O is thankful for comfortable couches that have solid lumbar support for sleeping. After winning in Week 14 last season over Mrs. I/O that finished her playoff chances off for good, the I/O's found themselves in the same division again in 2022 and past was prologue. Another win for Mr. I/O in the I/O Bowl, and while this edition is not season-ending for Mrs. I/O, it did knock her out of first place in the league and prevent her from all but locking up a playoff spot with three weeks to go. We all have to make choices in life in how we want to balance outside relationships with our own personal goals, and honestly I respect Mr. I/O a great deal for how willing he is to sacrifice his own well-being in the name of fantasy football success. I hope the couch is soft and allows you to sleep well, Mr. I/O.

Gooner: I am thankful that I have the chance to play this stupid, stupid game with some fine folk such as yourself. I am also thankful that somehow I still have a shot at the playoffs after two straight seasons of being eliminated by this time of year.

GIVE THANKS, PART 2
Peach: Peach is thankful for having the holiday season to distract her from an abysmal season full of sadness and misery. It would be easy for anyone to internalize their anger and annoyance at fantasy football during a season like Peach's. But knowing Peach how I know Peach (that is to say, not at all), she wouldn't do that. She embraces the holidays as a time to truly be thankful for family, friends, and the fact that the 2022 fantasy football season is mere weeks from ending. Pour your heart and soul into Thanksgiving, Peach, I wish you and yours nothing but the best.

Satan: Satan is thankful that it's not over until the fat lady sings. Two years ago, Satan had the season from hell (heh). Last year, a heavenly season (heh heh) that just narrowly missed out on a championship. This year is somewhere in the middle, let's call it purgatory (hehehehe). The good thing about purgatory is until the playoff odds hit zero, there is time for redemption. Things look bleak for Satan with three games to play, but he still has the ability to write his own end to this season and finally ascend into eternity.

Barca: Barca is thankful that the I/O Bowl has kept him in with a half shout at a division title and a legitimate chance at the playoffs. Barca's tiebreaker situation isn't great so he needs help to get in, but with now only being one game back of the division title and a Week 14 matchup with Mrs. I/O giving him an extra tiebreaker chance, it's more than Barca could have asked for when he was 2-5 and staring a bottom of the barrel finish right in the face. Fortunes can turn in a heartbeat and through his own winning streak and some help in other places, Barca's playoff chances live on.

SD3: SD3 is thankful for Lady Luck, the fantasy football gods, and maybe actual deities being on his side. That's really the only way that his season makes sense and how he somehow has a full game lead in his division while being the 14th highest scorer on the season. Despite back-to-back losses, SD3 has maintained his division lead due to no one else in his division being capable of stringing together multiple wins at a time. He is blessed by something and with a half-decent run-in, he's likely to crawl his way into the 4th seed. It would be a classic fantasy football tale when that happens and he ends up winning the title, something that no amount of thanks could ever truly be enough.

Edarem: Edarem is thankful that SD3 hasn't yet pulled away. While all the above is true, Edarem has an ace up his sleeve when it comes to SD3: he owns the head to head tiebreaker. Inconsistency is the only thing that has really held Edarem back; he has multiple games over 100 and multiple games under 50 points on the season. And his remaining matchups are not easy, especially when he has to win one more game than SD3 does over the next three weeks. But despite all that, Edarem is the only sub-.500 team with 20+% playoff odds remaining, and that alone is something to be thankful for.

Sleepy: Sleepy is thankful that everything in the last two sections exists. Sleepy is a very similar boat to Edarem, though he is disadvantaged by the fact that he doesn't own the tiebreak over SD3 (though he does over Edarem). Sleepy's best bet is that all three of them end up on the same record with their 1-1 mutual records, and that he can make up his fairly significant scoring deficit to win the three-way tiebreaker (which I believe is total points scored if all teams are 1-1). That might be a tall ask for Sleepy as he hasn't scored more than 61 points in 5 weeks, and has two weeks with sub-40 scores in that time. But there's still a chance for Sleepy, enough to be thankful for on its own.

bern: Bern is thankful that he continues to be allowed to play in this league despite no real indication that he has interest in participating.

Pickle: Pickle is thankful that he has been able to show resilience and just how savvy a fantasy football manager he is. Injuries are a part of everyone's life in fantasy football, we all cope in our own ways. Pickle has had it worse than most. Season-ending injuries to two starters, multiple missed weeks from three other starters, and on top of all that the QB for his first-round WR went down for eight weeks halfway through Week 1. Through it all, Pickle has managed to show that he can piece together a team from scraps and find a way to be competitive. Unfortunately, despite his best efforts and truly heroic attempt to claw his way back, it looks like it will end up a bit short for him.

YoungBuck: YoungBuck is thankful that he finally did it! He won a game this season. Similar to Pickle, YB has been decimated this season, but even worse. Cam Akers, JK Dobbins, Trey Lance, Brian Robinson Jr., name a guy on YB's team and they have either been out for multiple weeks or just straight up had their seasons ended. While the 0-14 might have been funny from a historical, "you remember when...?" perspective, nobody likes having to have that on the resume. And YB has actually performed decently well at times the last 4-5 weeks, he just has had a schedule from hell on top of everything else. But YB will not go down in history, he got the win he deserved and we should all be thankful for that.

TripleDeac: Triple is thankful that this godforsaken season is over in three weeks. In keeping with the theme of the last two entries, Triple has been lambasted with injury after injury. But unlike Pickle and YB who had some other players step up and at least score some points in their injured players' absences, Triple has had to watch as even his healthy players shit the bed week after week after week. Triple has scored more than 70 points just once this season, a Week 2 victory over YB before everything just went to shit. Five consecutive weeks below 50 points saw him crater in the scoring charts and with three weeks to play, he would have to have huge weeks in all three matchups to get to an average of even 60 points a week on the season. This is as bad a season from hell as I can remember for an individual manager, but it will be over soon, Triple.

Gooner is wonderful, and besting Gooner in every internet game we play is even better.

Why can’t I add a player? I have an empty bench spot since I dropped Melvin Gordon. It says I need to move Chark out of the IR slot, but since he played I can’t. But I also have another empty bench spot available. @Gooner halp.

You can't make moves if an active player is in IR.

Ah dammit. I understand since his game has already happened but I have a bench spot open regardless which is open with or without Chark on IR

Went with a conservative injury lineup this week because I was travelling all weekend, and it looks like it is going to bite me. Left 40 points on the bench between Fields (who was questionable) and Perine (Mixon was also questionable). Of course, playing against a DST that scored 3 TDs doesn't help either.

Went with a conservative injury lineup this week because I was travelling all weekend, and it looks like it is going to bite me. Left 40 points on the bench between Fields (who was questionable) and Perine (Mixon was also questionable). Of course, playing against a DST that scored 3 TDs doesn't help either.

I set an alarm for 12:30 pm on NFL Sundays to remind me to check the inactives list, because I've gotten burned by that before.

Yeah I forgot to check and missed Mixon being out when he had been trending toward playing.

I set an alarm for 12:30 pm on NFL Sundays to remind me to check the inactives list, because I've gotten burned by that before.
Yeah... 8 hour drive today with two kids and no adult support means that a lot of things get passed over in favor of just surviving. I had thought about checking when we stopped for lunch, but then I had to change the younger one's clothes from head to toe in a bathroom with no flat surfaces of any kind, and it must have slipped my mind.

I somehow missed the Thanksgiving recap - Awesome as usual, Gooner! I am grateful for having a Commish that spends more time writing these creative narratives and is not as focused on the performance of his team! : ) It is obviously a labor of love and we are all blessed to be a part of the fun!

I won't have time today to get a full writeup done, I just can't seem to get the hour or two I need away from everything to put it together. Here's a rough look at the playoff picture and what needs to happen for some teams to get in based on my best understanding of the ESPN FFL tiebreaker settings:

QUALIFIED
  • Ghost (10-3, wildcard secured): Must win against mako to clinch Poteat Division
  • DEACHAWK (9-4, wildcard secured): Must win against Fighting Cocks to clinch Davis Division
  • Mr. I/O (9-4, Kitchin Division clinched): Will be at least 3rd seed, can earn 2nd seed if win and DEACHAWK loses, can earn 1st seed if win and Ghost loses)
  • Lone Wolf (9-4, wildcard secured): Can win Poteat Division if win and Ghost loses; cannot be lower than 5th seed

WIN AND IN
  • Fighting Cocks (8-5, 91% chance at playoffs): Clinches division with win; if loses, would only miss playoffs if Mrs. I/O, mako, Ph, redwing, and Gooner all win and have all three of Ph, redwing, and Gooner make up potential tiebreaks
  • mako (8-5, 79%): Clinches a wildcard with win; if loses, would miss playoffs if two or more of Mrs. I/O, redwing, Ph, Barca, and Gooner win and make up tiebreaks
  • Mrs. I/O (8-5, 68%): Clinches a wildcard with win; if loses, it gets very complicated (see below)
  • SD3 (7-6, 64%): Clinches Taylor Division with a win over TripleDeac or Edarem loss to bern

FIGHTING CHANCE
  • Edarem (6-7, 36%): Clinches playoff spot with win against bern and SD3 loss to Triple; eliminated with loss or SD3 win
  • Barca (7-6, 24%): Clinches playoff spot with win and Mrs. I/O, mako, Gooner and Fighting Cocks losses (owns H2H tiebreak over redwing and Ph)
  • redwing (7-6, 18%): Clinches playoff spot with win, Gooner win, Fighting Cocks loss, mako loss, Mrs. I/O loss and Ph win (wins the 2nd H2H)
  • Gooner (7-6, 11%): Clinches playoff spot with win, redwing loss, Fighting Cocks loss, Mrs. I/O loss, Ph loss (wins overall H2H)
  • Ph (7-6, 10%): Clinches playoff spot with win, Mrs. I/O win, and all of Fighting Cocks, redwing, Gooner, and mako losses
I want to make clear that I might have missed a tiebreaker or two going through everyone's schedules, and the uneven scheduling we have with 20 teams may play a part. But to the best of my abilities, I believe this is what must take place for everyone this weekend. Best of luck to all, hope I see some of you in the playoffs!

Back