• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 races (and 2021 for weird commonwealths like Virginia)

Why is this Virginia race close? Biden won Virginia by ten points and a half million votes.

Because the Dems are running an uninspiring retread rich white guy Liberal

And the republicans are running a bland rich-white guy who voters can project as much of Trump as they want on him.

This too. Half of Youngkin's ads are about "removing the parents choice" from the curriculum. If it wasn't clear what motivates the GOP base, it is now.

We thought the CA recall was close until it wasn’t. The polling was way off.

That feels awfully familiar to the result that delivered the win in 2020. Maybe that's not the answer.

In 2020 the nation was still reeling from the pandemic and Trump was an extremely polarizing figure, and after the previous four years many voters wanted anti-Trump bland competence. This situation is rather different, in that the GOP candidate is also running as a bland candidate to win back suburbanites turned off by Trump, and he's hitting the bogus CRT issue for all it's worth. And McAuliffe's campaign has made some blunders and he has basically run as the status quo candidate, while Youngkin is running as the "change" candidate, which appeals to many. Add it all up and it's not really surprising that in a purple state the race is close.

ETA: Biden's dip in the polls starting late this summer likely hasn't helped McAuliffe either.

https://www.politico.com/news/magaz...eff-jackson-north-carolina-senate-race-517215

Very interesting Politico article on Beasley vs. Jackson for the NC Senate primary.

I think I’ll be voting for Cheri

Damn...it's a shame only one of them can win. This is the primary for the right to take on Thom Tillis, right?

Beasley as a USSC nominee, or even a federal bench position, is a solid fallback for her to still make an impact if she doesn't win. Curious what Jackson would do if he loses? Stay in state level politics another 2 years and make a run for the other Senate seat? Doubt he goes after Cooper for Gov.

Damn...it's a shame only one of them can win. This is the primary for the right to take on Thom Tillis, right?

Beasley as a USSC nominee, or even a federal bench position, is a solid fallback for her to still make an impact if she doesn't win. Curious what Jackson would do if he loses? Stay in state level politics another 2 years and make a run for the other Senate seat? Doubt he goes after Cooper for Gov.

This is for Burr’s seat. Most likely R candidates are Pat McCrory or Mark Walker.

Cooper is term limited from running again, right?

Either Walker or McCrory would be terrible Senators. Walker is a far-right Trumpite to the core, and McCrory is a political weasel of the highest order. Either Jackson or Beasley would be far superior Senators. I'm pulling for Jackson myself in the primary, but I'll gladly vote for either of them against Walker or McCrory. As for Robinson, he would simply be a nightmare as governor, especially for gays and public education at all levels, especially as Republicans will likely keep control of the legislature for the rest of this decade. My guess is that he'll likely win the GOP nomination for NC governor in 2024, and that Josh Stein, the Democratic State Attorney General, will likely be the Dem nominee. I think he would make a good governor.

Last edited:
NC is so weird politically. Especially if you one of those 2 Dems in the Senate then Robinson as governor

NC is so weird politically. Especially if you one of those 2 Dems in the Senate then Robinson as governor

Somewhere Tim "All politics is local" Russert isn't happy with you. Eastern NC Dems want Central NC money but are politically conservative. When was the last time NC elected a Democrat from West of Raleigh?

I'm not sure either will.

Somewhere Tim "All politics is local" Russert isn't happy with you. Eastern NC Dems want Central NC money but are politically conservative. When was the last time NC elected a Democrat from West of Raleigh?

Kay Hagen from Greensboro

Kay Hagen from Greensboro

Sorry, I was unclear. You are correct in answering the question as written, but I meant for Governor. My sense is Eastern NC Dems vote for their own for state-focused races, but trend conservative for national races. When was the last time NC Dems elected a Triad/Charlotte/828 governor/atty general (I'm asking because I can't remember one).

Back