• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 races (and 2021 for weird commonwealths like Virginia)

Americans are definitely idiots, but I don’t think they are voting based on hope - Americans just love *firing* people when they are dissatisfied. We are a very punitive, puritanical people and we derive satisfaction from punishing others. It’s no coincidence that 25% of the worlds prisoners are in America.

probably bad that we elected a guy who was famous for going on TV and shouting "You're fired!"

Americans are definitely idiots, but I don’t think they are voting based on hope - Americans just love *firing* people when they are dissatisfied. We are a very punitive, puritanical people and we derive satisfaction from punishing others. It’s no coincidence that 25% of the worlds prisoners are in America.

Good post. And one party harnesses that better than the other. Many Americans have been voting for Republicans up and down the ballot consistently for 40+ years and their communities haven’t improved. But they think “firing” Biden or their Dem governor is going to improve their situation.

probably bad that we elected a guy who was famous for going on TV and shouting "You're fired!"

Yeah. But worse that the Dem strategy seems to be running against him even though he’s not on the ballot.

Another aspect to the current national political mood is that Republican state governments are so active right now that they are driving the national discourse, so anyone paying attention is being overwhelmed with stories of Republicans (ostensibly) winning legislative battles, and there is virtually nothing happening with the Democratic Party on any level to compete. What few Democratic/progressive successes are happening are being completely drowned out.

Last edited:
Yeah. That’s a product of Republicans dominating media coverage in general. But yeah, Republicans get things done.

Another aspect to the current national political mood is that Republican state governments are so active right now that they are driving the national discourse, so anyone paying attention is being overwhelmed with stories of Republicans (ostensibly) winning legislative battles, and there is virtually nothing happening with the Democratic Party on any level to compete. What few Democratic/progressive successes are happening are being completely drowned out.

Passing a Climate Change bill would have been nice, the Justice Department going after some of Trump's higher up's for Fraud or anything to do with January 6th would show some balls, impeaching Clarence Thomas, banning automatic rifles, student loan forgiveness, or any of the many things he ran on.

Instead we are still cheering about an infrastructure bill.

*I know you were talking about state's but this is something I wanted to complain about.

Wasn't Russell Fry one of Flagg's aliases in The Stand? (and perhaps others, though I haven't read the last few Dark Tower books).

Mace won though. SC is making the whole focus on Trump look foolish.

Mace won though. SC is making the whole focus on Trump look foolish.

The problem (well, one of the problems) is that Dems win just enough by focusing on Trump, so they refuse to get rid of that as a strategy. That and the messaging fails from the White House are going to be the accessories to the midterm murder this fall.

Here’s an example of messaging fails. DeSantis and the Florida GOP have been getting a lot of credit for a series of tax holidays that ends with a gas tax holiday in October. I just found out recently that it’s all paid for with funds from American Rescue Plan that had no Republican support.

Here’s an example of messaging fails. DeSantis and the Florida GOP have been getting a lot of credit for a series of tax holidays that ends with a gas tax holiday in October. I just found out recently that it’s all paid for with funds from American Rescue Plan that had no Republican support.

Sometimes I really hate being a Democrat. Except for the belief in democracy and all.

just another grift.

Sometimes I really hate being a Democrat. Except for the belief in democracy and all.

Yep. And I think that tax holiday is going to help him with getable Black and Latino voters in the state.

I feel like FL has always had these tax holidays. I remember doing the back to school shopping one growing up, and hurricane supplies.

Yeah. It’s nothing new but it has more punch during an inflationary period and an election year. Usually it’s just school supplies and hurricane preparation supplies.

Back