• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023-2024 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread

At this point you’re rated what your record is. Agree their offense is crap but they are 3rd in the conference. I wish we had their ACC record.
Their net goes down to 50, as Forbes said the NCAA committee members don't really care what your conference record is. It's all quad 1, quad 2, etc. UVA is in trouble for making the NCAA.

Their net goes down to 50, as Forbes said the NCAA committee members don't really care what your conference record is. It's all quad 1, quad 2, etc. UVA is in trouble for making the NCAA.

UVa is 2-4 Q1 and 5-2 Q2. They’re in.

Short turnaround on the road against an in state rival after a hard fought home win. Advantage home team, esp with home ACC refs. Amazing how UVA fouled 16 times leading to 23 VT free throws tonight, while 2 days ago they were so spot on with their ‘all ball’ defense we only managed 5 FT attempts.
The only time they "fouled" in the act of shooting the entire game against us was on Carr's turnaround in the paint.

Sent from my SM-S711U using Tapatalk

UVa is 2-4 Q1 and 5-2 Q2. They’re in.
7-6 in top 2 Quads. If they lose to NC Saturday, 7-7.
Wake is at 5-9… if WF defends the Joel this week and is 7-9 with better metrics, shouldn’t they also be in?

7-6 in top 2 Quads. If they lose to NC Saturday, 7-7.
Wake is at 5-9… if WF defends the Joel this week and is 7-9 with better metrics, shouldn’t they also be in?
If Wake beats Pitt and Duke this week the majority of bracketologists will have Wake on the right side of the bubble, yeah.

The problem is that winning both of those games is not a guarantee regardless of how good Wake is at home.

If Wake beats Pitt and Duke this week the majority of bracketologists will have Wake on the right side of the bubble, yeah.

The problem is that winning both of those games is not a guarantee regardless of how good Wake is at home.
And if UVA loses to UNC and BC (doubt they'll be favored in either), the bracketologists will have them on the bubble and in danger of missing the tournament. It would set them up for a Duke loss at Cameron and ending with a worthless GaTech home game. 50th NET and 65th Kenpom won't get them in. Their schedule is not doing them any favors.

100% agree with your first point…second point I like Tony because he’s built an amazing program and recruits to his system and w a shit offense is an NCAA lock and a solid 3rd in the ACC…as to your third point if we’re that much better then why don’t we have their record…everyone has injuries, we need to suck it up and win some effing games. I’m tired of we’re a top 25 team if only this and that would have happened.
Our injuries are a little unique. How many ACC teams have lost a starting guard/SF, who was playing at a high level, but that same player just keeps playing with a significant injury that needs surgery? And that is killing us.

Plus, Monsanto...we add a guy like that, but he's not that guy at all right now. It's a tad unique.

I am also very tired of the "this and that" but we seem to have a lot of this and that....Griffis/not letting an NFL RB play/Kurtz can't play in the freakin' College WS due to getting beaned and broken ribs/Reid/Hildreth/Monsanto/Ituka...basketball it's been worse.

UVA does completely suck at offense.

But we slurp Bennett and their system and fans.

We have a much better team but we have bad injuries to Hildreth and Monsanto. And Marsh and Keller being unplayable.
Yes, UVA sucks at offense. Yes, we have a more talented team across the board when healthy. But the problem isn't their offense. The problem is the lack of offensive talent. They mostly run their same blocker/mover offense Tony has used against man D over the last decade plus. It worked just fine when they had Jerome, Guy, Hunter and Diakite. The problem is the only talented guys they have on the offensive end are Beekman, McKneely and Groves (and the latter 2 are just spot up shooters). Throw in Dunn, but he only shoots 5-7 times per game, and that's another problem they have - that he doesn't do more offensively. Guys like Minor, Harris and Rohde are completely useless offensively. I'd rather see Tonly play and develop Gertrude and Bond than play Harris and Rohde, but he won't.

Not sure how much the ‘Luck’ factor impacts KP rankings or what it really measures for that matter, but noticed we are one of the unluckiest teams in the nation by this measure (352 of 362 teams). Maybe that’s a blended reflection of coaching, injuries, officiating? That being said, saw a post somewhere that the national champion for last 20+ years has finished top 40 in KP offensive efficiency AND top 25 in defensive efficiency. We are currently 36/29 O/D which seems like a pretty thin line between on the bubble and potential final four caliber. Gotta start making our own luck. One win at a time. Sleep well, beat Pitt! There’s no place like home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luck doesn’t factor into kenpom. It is a result that measures how our record looks compared to how our record would be expected to look, based on our rating. We are “unlucky” because the ratings suggest our record should be better than it is. Essentially it means our team has underperformed this year (at least compared to kenpom’s expectation using his ratings).

Shockingly Horne getting into it with an opposing player. Odds on a Horne/Copeland double tech shortening by the possession

Wow the Arkansas/Texas A&M score is at the top of the ESPN page right now. What in the world is going on with Arkansas? They are 12-13 and have been crushed in a bunch of conference losses. Wasn’t Musselman supposed to be a top hire?

Syracuse is desperately trying to give this game away

Wow the Arkansas/Texas A&M score is at the top of the ESPN page right now. What in the world is going on with Arkansas? They are 12-13 and have been crushed in a bunch of conference losses. Wasn’t Musselman supposed to be a top hire?
I’d call him a quality hire. The last 3 seasons he went to Elite 8, Elite 8, & Sweet 16.

Back