• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023-2024 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread

I listened (unfortunately) to one of the Lunardi rants about Clemson. He sounded giddy talking about how conference records mean nothing regardless of how weak the ACC is. He then said they had a winning record in quad 1 games (they are 4-4), and that they have no Quad 3 or 4 losses (they lost to Ga Tech at home which is a quad 3).

Don't get me wrong, wins against Alabama, UNC, TCU, and South Carolina are nice. And they have a very soft remaining schedule (we are their only remaining Q1 game) so I expect their conference record will correct itself. But it sounded to me like Lunardi is really, really excited to keep hammering the "ACC only deserves 3, maybe 4 bids" narrative and Clemson is the chosen one because they have Big12 and SEC wins.

Ugh, that made me look up the ACC quad records and it's just infuriating. Our NC State win is ranked identically to Clemson barely beating Davidson. And we've had 3 Quad 1 games, rest of the ACC has had an average of 7.4 quad 1 games, and only 2 teams haven't gotten a home Quad 1 game in the entire conference, us and UVA. Infuriating.
Wins at Bama & at UNC are awesome. Conference leaders in their respective conferences. Meanwhile we have 0 wins unless FL moves up so yea, quite a difference.

I don’t know how anyone could find him competent at this point. It’s clear he’s collecting a paycheck and dgaf about the ACC or even understand the culture.
That’s Dr Incompetent, PhD to all of us minions

Good wins matter so much more to the committee than mediocre losses. Clemson has really stacked good ones and had one stolen from them at Cameron.
Good way to put it: same Clemson player had the ball stolen from him 4 times in last two minutes. That’s 4 turnovers while at the time leading 69-65. Clemson choked once again in Cameron then tried to blame it on a questionable call.

VPI up big on Va. VPI been taking it inside so far with success.
UVA does completely suck at offense.

But we slurp Bennett and their system and fans.

We have a much better team but we have bad injuries to Hildreth and Monsanto. And Marsh and Keller being unplayable.

UVA does completely suck at offense.

But we slurp Bennett and their system and fans.

We have a much better team but we have bad injuries to Hildreth and Monsanto. And Marsh and Keller being unplayable.
100% agree with your first point…second point I like Tony because he’s built an amazing program and recruits to his system and w a shit offense is an NCAA lock and a solid 3rd in the ACC…as to your third point if we’re that much better then why don’t we have their record…everyone has injuries, we need to suck it up and win some effing games. I’m tired of we’re a top 25 team if only this and that would have happened.

100% agree with your first point…second point I like Tony because he’s built an amazing program and recruits to his system and w a shit offense is an NCAA lock and a solid 3rd in the ACC…as to your third point if we’re that much better then why don’t we have their record…everyone has injuries, we need to suck it up and win some effing games. I’m tired of we’re a top 25 team if only this and that would have happened.
Virginia could easily finish 12-8 in the ACC as they still have to play Duke, UNC, and at BC. Their net will probably be around 45 tomorrow after being humiliated tonight. Bennett is a good coach but he just doesn’t have the horses this year. Losing to Tech by 34 is humiliating. Even at 13-7, they will be lucky to make the NCAA with some terrible losses like tonight. They are so overrated.

At this point you’re rated what your record is. Agree their offense is crap but they are 3rd in the conference. I wish we had their ACC record.

Short turnaround on the road against an in state rival after a hard fought home win. Advantage home team, esp with home ACC refs. Amazing how UVA fouled 16 times leading to 23 VT free throws tonight, while 2 days ago they were so spot on with their ‘all ball’ defense we only managed 5 FT attempts.

Short turnaround on the road against an in state rival after a hard fought home win. Advantage home team, esp with home ACC refs. Amazing how UVA fouled 16 times leading to 23 VT free throws tonight, while 2 days ago they were so spot on with their ‘all ball’ defense we only managed 5 FT attempts.
Roger Ayer’s daughter went to UVa. Just able to have their games again once she graduated two years ago or so. Must have grown up a Hokie fan 🧐

UVA tumbled to #65 in KP.

Not sure how much the ‘Luck’ factor impacts KP rankings or what it really measures for that matter, but noticed we are one of the unluckiest teams in the nation by this measure (352 of 362 teams). Maybe that’s a blended reflection of coaching, injuries, officiating? That being said, saw a post somewhere that the national champion for last 20+ years has finished top 40 in KP offensive efficiency AND top 25 in defensive efficiency. We are currently 36/29 O/D which seems like a pretty thin line between on the bubble and potential final four caliber. Gotta start making our own luck. One win at a time. Sleep well, beat Pitt! There’s no place like home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back