• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023-2024 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread

It’s hard to watch UVA games and think that Tony shouldn’t overhaul their offense in the offseason. It just seems very basic and old fashioned.
I keep saying it's the same offense that they've run since he's been here. They run a blocker/mover offense where both bigs screen down low for wings coming around them. It's not the offense. It's the lack of offensive talent. Beekman is great, and McKneely is a great spot up shooter, but that's it. Dunn won't assert himself on that end, and Minor, Harris, Rohde, Buchanan, Groves, Gertrude and Murray are pretty limited on that end.

I hope we are an 11 seed favored by a half dozen points over some shit ass MWC 6th seed and stomp a mud hole in their ass.
One of the mighty Mountain West teams will likely be in Dayton, so the stomping may have to happen there.

I keep saying it's the same offense that they've run since he's been here. They run a blocker/mover offense where both bigs screen down low for wings coming around them. It's not the offense. It's the lack of offensive talent. Beekman is great, and McKneely is a great spot up shooter, but that's it. Dunn won't assert himself on that end, and Minor, Harris, Rohde, Buchanan, Groves, Gertrude and Murray are pretty limited on that end.

I’m not sure if you’re meaning to agree with me or not. He’s been there a while and was likely running it earlier in his career too. It’s an outdated offense. It can work if you have better offensive talent than he has currently, but why pick a mediocre offensive style that doesn’t set your team up for success?

The UNC/UVA game was annoying to watch - seemed like the exact same thing as our game except they were up 47-42 with 2 minutes left instead of down 46-42 like we were. Games were nearly identical, just messy low-scoring physical slow-motion crap. Beekman simply didn't have a run like he did against us despite getting open looks, and Cormack somehow hit a couple 3's versus us missing almost all of our open ones. There are so few possessions those games turn on like 3 or 4 buckets.

Rothstein and Lunardi love the MWC and it is so infuriating. New Mexico lost to Air Force at home yesterday. Really do hope we draw one of them in the tourney.

I’m not sure if you’re meaning to agree with me or not. He’s been there a while and was likely running it earlier in his career too. It’s an outdated offense. It can work if you have better offensive talent than he has currently, but why pick a mediocre offensive style that doesn’t set your team up for success?
I don't think the blocker/mover is outdated, and 1 of the positive things it does is it makes the other team's wings spend a lot of energy fighting through screens. That said, when your wings running around screens are guys like Harris and Rohde, it's not like the opposing D is terrified if 1 of them is open for a 3 after coming around a screen. UVA has also run some 3 man triangles offense against man D the last couple of years, and I think that's been worse. But I don't think any type of offense would work well/better with this 8 man rotation which only has 2 guys who can shoot and 1 guy who can facilitate.

The MWC is a total joke.

At this point, today, any bracket projections that have UVA seeded ahead of WF are also total jokes.

The MWC is a total joke.

At this point, today, any bracket projections that have UVA seeded ahead of WF are also total jokes.
I wouldn't say total joke - more like overrated. I think Boise and SD St are good, but I don't get all the love for CSU.

Agree on us v. UVA. Other than the UNC 2nd half, all of our losses have been competitive, whereas UVA has a lot of blowout losses. But this is what happens when you win a natty. You get overrated by both the fans and guys like Lunardi. No way did they deserve a 4 seed last year. At this point, Tony is starting to remind me of GDub after Maryland won its natty.

I do not think the MWC is a joke, but they have no teams on the level of Duke or UNC. They have 1 team on the level of Wake and Clemson, which is San Diego State. Then they have a really weak bottom of the league that is almost incapable of handing the top teams a bad loss. The ACC has 8 teams in the 50-100 range on kenpom and the MWC has UNLV. I think that the MWC rated as the 7th best conference is fair.

Obviously I’d like to just make the tourney first. But with that under our belt I’d prefer to be a 10 or 11 seed than an 8 or a 9. UConn Purdue and Houston are very good teams so that’s a 75% shot that even if you win a toss up first game you’re immediately starring down a heavyweight.

An 11 seed (avoiding Dayton) gets a 6 and then a 3, with two chances already that the 2 seed got upset. Alternatively, win the last four and the ACCT and then were like a 4 or 5 seed so that’s fine too.

Obviously I’d like to just make the tourney first. But with that under our belt I’d prefer to be a 10 or 11 seed than an 8 or a 9. UConn Purdue and Houston are very good teams so that’s a 75% shot that even if you win a toss up first game you’re immediately starring down a heavyweight.

An 11 seed (avoiding Dayton) gets a 6 and then a 3, with two chances already that the 2 seed got upset. Alternatively, win the last four and the ACCT and then were like a 4 or 5 seed so that’s fine too.
Give me Purdue round two. Then cruise to the FF.

Give me Purdue round two. Then cruise to the FF.
Yeah, I'm not as sold on Purdue as I am Houston and UConn. They've been mostly feasting on a down B1G, and there are some good teams from other conferences who could score on their 1 man zone D. That said, I'm with numbers. I'd rather be a 10 or 11 than an 8/9 and hope we avoid a B12 opponent in the 1st round.

Yeah I agree on Purdue. I think they are pretty average outside of Edey and our guards are better than theirs. But a 10 or 11 would be better to make a run.

We still need to win 3 or our last 4 games IMO. 2-2 and we will be miserably sweating every second. 3-1 and we will have at least 1 more Q1 with our metrics in a great spot. Lots of work left to do. 20% of our ACC slate is left.

We still need to win 3 or our last 4 games IMO. 2-2 and we will be miserably sweating every second. 3-1 and we will have at least 1 more Q1 with our metrics in a great spot. Lots of work left to do. 20% of our ACC slate is left.
I know we all basically write off the ACCT but there is a decent shot we get 1-2 more Q1 games there too.

Rothstein and Lunardi love the MWC and it is so infuriating. New Mexico lost to Air Force at home yesterday. Really do hope we draw one of them in the tourney.
I remember the era of everyone complaining about the big conference and giving the lesser conferences a chance. It has swung way too hard to 'correct' that - I do like the thought exercise of someone brought up of taking the top 6 in the MWC and going head to head with the top 6 of one of the major conferences. They would be lucky to win 1.

Back