• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023-2024 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread

They did mostly end up playing. I believe Clingan may have had a limited workload but he drew four fouls so we never found out I guess

I saw this on a graphic last night on one of the ESPN games, but Gonzaga has defeated Pepperdine 45 straight times. 2/16/2002 - present.

That's just absurd.
That is crazy, 2002 is also when Pepperdine was the 10 seed and Wake beat them in round one.

Has Clemson won in Chapel Hill yet? I forget if they've broken that streak.

Sucks to have the thought that I envy that team GCU has, especially when I only recently found out it was an actual college and not just an online school.

Dook is in an f ton of trouble this year. The streak will end.
Poor Dook; they only have eight 5 star players, and they committed to a long term agreement for a coach that gets the least out of his talent.

I know the season is still young, but how long do we think Scheyer will get at Duke?

If they are just OK this season (borderline Top 25) with this roster, I have to think there will be some uneasiness. The track record for K disciples is uninspiring. I know the recruiting is going just fine, but at some point a lack of on court success will have to take its toll.

I'll go on record as saying he'll be replaced at the end of the 24-25 season.

Less than two months ago, Dook extended Scheyer through the 2028-9 season. Realize they have the cash, but it will be expensive to buy Scheyer out early in his contract. Also, got to believe K still has major sway among those that make those type of decisions. If Scheyer got canned and Dook wanted to go outside "the Brotherhood" (which is so stupid; so many of their players are in Durham for months, not years) think K would still be in position to veto that. Also, Dook has so much talent that literally an imbecile can win 20 games there, and they will always get the benefit of the doubt for an NCAAT bid. Dook is top 3 in the nation (probably #1) in talent; does Scheyer get fired if they play like a fringe top 25 team? He should, but not sure.

It amazes me that no one seems able to negatively recruit against Duke. They are on an 8 year run with one Final 4 appearance despite the best players every year. There are so many examples of projected 1st round players, ruining their careers by going to Duke. This year, there are two five stars buried on their bench, and almost every player on the roster has seen their NBA draft ranking tank by going there. For every Paolo Banchero there are so many Trevor Keels or DJ Stewards or Vernon Careys who committed to Duke as lock first round picks and leave for short careers in the G League or in Turkey.

Deacs gave that Big 3 Oregon team a close game

I don't remember Brett Hickman at all -- Hicks started the Pepperdine game, did he get hurt?
Has to be a mistake. Hicks played in the Oregon game. I was watching that game in a bar in the DC area. Hicks missed a big shot at the end of that game and some guy started yelling that Hicks always had to try to be the hero. I looked over and it was a former player. Jim Fitzpatrick.

Coastal Carolina's Cliff Ellis is retiring effective immediately. He's 78 and has coached forever. He started as a CBB HC at South Alabama in 1975, yes 1975. Coached Clemson in the 1980s and 1990s, including a bruising team with Dale Davis and Horace Grant; then Auburn and finally Coastal since 2007. Always liked Cliff Ellis, and he's also known as a Beach Music crooner:

Man I have not thought about Brett Hickman in years. He was a bit of a stickler for the rules IIRC lol

I forget if it was he or Geoff Lassiter (now president of the Carolina League) who went OFF at the drumline when I was there before a Deacon Walk about where we were supposed to be. We were doing breakout bands and trying to get over to Deacon Walk as quickly as we could to be in place when the team arrived, and whoever it was (I want to say Geoff), was screaming at us like a lunatic to move faster, when there were like 13 of us carrying bass drums, quads/tenors, and snare drums.

Pretty sure either Dr. B or Morgan stepped in and told him to calm the hell down and they went back and forth for a min. Some of those folks took things a bit too seriously.

Back