• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023-2024 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread

From the Heat Check website, this is why really horrible teams in your conference is awful:

The initial NET rankings for the season painted an early picture of what some of the best wins in the country could be this season. For instance, the Big 12 and Big East featuring eight of the top 11 high-major teams bodes well for the fringe NCAA Tournament contenders in those leagues. Conversely, the rankings also revealed what some of the biggest “landmine” games could be in the high-major ranks.

As a bracketologist, I define “landmine” games as when an NCAA Tournament contender faces off against a lower-rated opponent in a game that can only hurt their resume. A win would not boost a team’s standing, while a loss could be catastrophic. As it stands, the top six conferences each feature at least one “landmine” team that opened with a sub-200 ranking in the NET:

• ACC: Notre Dame (No. 238), Louisville (No. 279)
  • Big 12: West Virginia (No. 209)
  • Big East: Georgetown (No. 221), DePaul (No. 267)
  • Big Ten: Maryland (No. 210)
  • Pac-12: Stanford (No. 211), Oregon State (No. 226), California (No. 251)
  • SEC: Vanderbilt (No. 276)
It is still only early December, so all of the teams above will have opportunities to drastically improve their NET in the coming months. But for now, these are the potential “landmines” in high-major conference play.

FWIW, Kentucky lost to UNC-W, that's UNC-Wilmington, last time out. They also needed OT to beat St. Joe's. If UVA had similar results, you would be all over them. KP has KY #22 and UVA #27, or one point apart. So, how can KY be good and UVA not? FWIW, Bama and A&M are as good or better than KY, but hard to take that position with A&M because UVA beat the Aggies.

Kentucky looks like another case of Calipari unable to coach his team to be at least equal to the sum of its parts.
Didn't see UNCW, though I noticed the result. Watched their blowout win over Miami, and they looked quite good that night. And I didn't say they're great. There is thankfully no great SEC team this year. But Ky and Tenn are both good teams. And teams like Bama, Ole Miss and Miss St are a bit disappointing from an SEC perspective. That's why I said the SEC was down this year compared to the last couple, and I think that's accurate.

I stand by saying UVA looked bad most of November. They toyed with 3 really bad teams, squeeked by a mediocre Fla team and a bad WVU team and got crushed by a solid Wisconsin team. Unlike most Tony teams, they looked bad defensively and were getting killed on the boards. But they have really turned it around the last 2 games against TAMU and the Cuse. They're shooting it well and have turned it up defensively. They're still losing rebounding battles but not as badly as they were. I do admit to entering this year with loftier expectations for both UVA and Wake than I should have.

Didn't see UNCW, though I noticed the result. Watched their blowout win over Miami, and they looked quite good that night. And I didn't say they're great. There is thankfully no great SEC team this year. But Ky and Tenn are both good teams. And teams like Bama, Ole Miss and Miss St are a bit disappointing from an SEC perspective. That's why I said the SEC was down this year compared to the last couple, and I think that's accurate.

I stand by saying UVA looked bad most of November. They toyed with 3 really bad teams, squeeked by a mediocre Fla team and a bad WVU team and got crushed by a solid Wisconsin team. Unlike most Tony teams, they looked bad defensively and were getting killed on the boards. But they have really turned it around the last 2 games against TAMU and the Cuse. They're shooting it well and have turned it up defensively. They're still losing rebounding battles but not as badly as they were. I do admit to entering this year with loftier expectations for both UVA and Wake than I should have.
Prediction: When Florida gets their center back on the floor they will not be mediocre.

HPU with a good win tonight but it was cool to see this guy coach. He did not like the officials (they were awful) and he fussed at someone the crowd. He was very positive with his players and active on the sideline
IMG_3086.jpeg

Delaware wins at Xavier just a few days after the Musketeers gave Houston a game.

And Georgia stomped GT, which is a good thing.

RJ Davis is doing his part to keep it close. UConn played well despite the foul troubles.

HPU with a good win tonight but it was cool to see this guy coach. He did not like the officials (they were awful) and he fussed at someone the crowd. He was very positive with his players and active on the sideline
View attachment 7030
I was also at that game. Those refs were horrible.

At one point, Western Carolina was fouled on a jumpshot and we went to the 8 minute media timeout. Then, after the media timeout, they wiped off the shooting foul on High Point and instead called a flagrant foul on Western Carolina. Can you do that? Reverse a foul call upon review? Baffling.

High Point is pretty good it seems.

Oklahoma State loses @ Southern Illinois
#25 San Diego State loses @ Grand Canyon

College basketball should be played on campuses, not these lame neutral site games.

I was also at that game. Those refs were horrible.

At one point, Western Carolina was fouled on a jumpshot and we went to the 8 minute media timeout. Then, after the media timeout, they wiped off the shooting foul on High Point and instead called a flagrant foul on Western Carolina. Can you do that? Reverse a foul call upon review? Baffling.

High Point is pretty good it seems.

I jinxed it cause I told my wife I enjoyed the flow of the first half.

My hearing isn't good but Giffa told the ref that he got hit by an elbow. When they were lining uo for the free throw the ref went to Giffa and asked him something, they went to the media timeout at 8:01. I watched them at the monitor and they (refs) were talking and acting out a elbow shot. They never went to either coach but just made the call. Both teams were getting ready for the WC free throws. I'm with you, I have never seen that.

My favorite was when a WC player fouled out and Justin was getting his sub. They shot a free throw on the other end right when the sub started running to the scorers table. Justin lost his shit on that one.

Huss didn't seem happy either. He yelled damnit three times after a bad call.

unc getting their ass beat. You hate to see it
I actually did hate to see it when I got home last night. I hate UConn more than UNC, and that would have been a good win for the ACC, but yeah, it wasn't close. And god I hope UConn isn't in the final 4 again this year but fear they will be.

I do like the old school purple and lavender K St unis and was glad they won. And speaking of purple, I had never seen GCU before, but they have 2 kids who are absolute ballers. When did they get good at basketball?

Marquette-Texas should be a fun one tonight.

GC was decent under Majerle, but Bryce Drew has kicked it up a notch since he got there.

When healthy, UConn is one of the best teams in America. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see them in the FF again.

Right now I think Houston, UConn, Arizona, Kansas, and Purdue are a notch above everybody else (in my eyes anyway). Then there are a ton of really good teams (Creighton, Marquette, Tennessee, BYU (???), Gonzaga, Baylor).

Should be a fun tournament.

I saw this on a graphic last night on one of the ESPN games, but Gonzaga has defeated Pepperdine 45 straight times. 2/16/2002 - present.

That's just absurd.

Back