• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023-2024 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread

Think Reid totally changes the problem of guarding Burns. You absolutely play him straight up unless Reid struggles or gets in foul trouble. Marsh got roasted because he is not mobile and doesn’t play strong. Reid doesn’t have either of those problems to say the least. Also would love to see us make him work on defense.

Reid being around will at least eliminate the “take 26 shots” plan or whatever romped us second half last year at home

I don’t think Reid has a “get player X in foul trouble” type of game
No, but this team has three players who are very good at attacking the basket. And Reid has shown enough offense that he should get the ball in the post to force the opponent to defend him.

Sports Twitter is abuzz with Tom Izzo’s failson version of Skippy Boeheim scoring his first points after 5 years on daddy’s team

Interested to see the game plan against Burns. He's a really good passer. Can you afford to double him, and if you do, when?
Burns has been our nemesis the last few years. Usually won the battles against LaRavia. And Jake arguably our best big man since J. Johnson. Reid has a couple inches but not the muscle. We should double up on burns but you are correct, he'll get his share of assists.

I would say that keeping Efton out of foul trouble is really one of the keys for us. Otherwise Burns may roast us.
This. Reid has been awesome, but he still has some bad habits on defense getting his arms around guys and swiping for cheap fouls. If you’ve seen interviews from Burns he’s pretty damn smart about his game. Also a great passer. Just a very underrated player. Reid has got to avoid getting frustrated and fouling because Keller will get destroyed by him. We need to run him - last game Burns had no legs at the close and they really struggled against Louisville because of it.

Last edited:
Burns has been our nemesis the last few years. Usually won the battles against LaRavia. And Jake arguably our best big man since J. Johnson. Reid has a couple inches but not the muscle. We should double up on burns but you are correct, he'll get his share of assists.
Burns wasn’t on that State team against Jake. He was at Winthrop then.

This post is correct except that Reid has plenty of muscle, John Collins was a better big in college than LaRavia, we should let Reid play Burns 1 v 1 unless he gets into foul trouble, and LaRavia never played against Burns at State..

High point is the favorite to win the Big South now. I knew Longwood was overrated. I’m looking forward to the HPU and Winthrop game.

This post is correct except that Reid has plenty of muscle, John Collins was a better big in college than LaRavia, we should let Reid play Burns 1 v 1 unless he gets into foul trouble, and LaRavia never played against Burns at State..
And I’d add that both LaRavia and Johnson were more wings than bigs.

It’s not like we need that much from Reid. He’s the 6th offensive option on the team. He just needs to bother Burns enough that he doesn’t have a huge game.

It’s not like we need that much from Reid. He’s the 6th offensive option on the team. He just needs to bother Burns enough that he doesn’t have a huge game.
Burns a little below average and needing a lot of shots to get there should work.

I don’t mean to take away from him. Reid will again be a huge difference in this matchup compared to last year. Burns is an excellent passer so not having to double him is a big deal.

Keller can guard Burns, too. That’s a big advantage for us if Reid picks up a few cheap fouls (which he will do if he goes for all of the ball fakes by Burns - just play him straight up like someone else has already said).

And I’m calling it now…State matches up poorly against Carr. I could see him having a big game if they stick with their four guard lineup, which they almost certainly will. If they roll Middlebrooks or Diarra out there to offset our size advantage, our guards will cook them from deep. Frankly, I think we are going to beat the shit out of them. Deacs by 15.

Back