• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023-24 NCAA Women's Basketball Thread

Yeah, that was a mind numbing mistake by the NCAA.

Wish the games today were reversed. I don't see Iowa hanging with a bigger LSU team, whereas JuJu v. Paige should be the better watch.

did Iowa bring in/try to bring in any good players in the offeason?

seems like they may have wanted to go all-in for Clark's last year and the NIL realities gave them a short-term boost of attention/funding/allure to do a big push

did Iowa bring in/try to bring in any good players in the offeason?

seems like they may have wanted to go all-in for Clark's last year and the NIL realities gave them a short-term boost of attention/funding/allure to do a big push
I've only seen them a few times, but they appear not quite as good as last year and lack size, which is why I don't think they'll give LSU a good game unless Clark goes off and they have an exceptional shooting night.

I've only seen them a few times, but they appear not quite as good as last year and lack size, which is why I don't think they'll give LSU a good game unless Clark goes off and they have an exceptional shooting night.
Well LSU is also worse than last year. Iowa is -2 today

Well LSU is also worse than last year. Iowa is -2 today
And I've been wrong a lot this postseason, so I hope I'm wrong about this game too. LSU has looked good the last 2 rounds, and I think their length will bother Iowa.

Happy this a.m. to have been wrong about the Iowa game. But as much as we hate Kim Mulkey, she's supposed to be 1 of the greatest coaches ever. So her job was to defend the female version of Steph Curry who is 6' tall. So her solution was to have her shortest guard on Clark for most of the game?!? And she was at times going under screens? I would have put my best SF defender on her and told her to fight over screens. And I would have showed them some Houston men's defensive tape to show them how to hedge hard when defending the high pick and roll. I want Iowa to beat UConn so we can see how Staley defends Clark.

yeah Mulkey has obviously had great success in her career but... having Van Lith on clark and then getting torched by clark and still not switching was just awful strategy. And her insistence on playing her starters massive minutes each game just seemed off especially when one of them had "conditioning" issues . South Carolina beat them twice this year by just wearing them down in the second half and damn if the same thing didn't happen against Iowa. So...LSU returns most of a national championship team and the following year....does not even sniff a conference regular season title, does not win conference tournament, does not make final 4. Seems like nobody did less with more than Mulkey this year.

Happy this a.m. to have been wrong about the Iowa game. But as much as we hate Kim Mulkey, she's supposed to be 1 of the greatest coaches ever. So her job was to defend the female version of Steph Curry who is 6' tall. So her solution was to have her shortest guard on Clark for most of the game?!? And she was at times going under screens? I would have put my best SF defender on her and told her to fight over screens. And I would have showed them some Houston men's defensive tape to show them how to hedge hard when defending the high pick and roll. I want Iowa to beat UConn so we can see how Staley defends Clark.
Heard a lot of the same this morning. The hot take was that a men's coach would have been publicly destroyed for the way LSU played Clark, but the media is less prone to go after women's coaches the same way. Also, Mulkey is insane; so, maybe fear is the reason for the hesitancy to critique.

I don’t know if anyone has made this joke but Kim Mulkey looks like the extreme MAGA Karen version of Amy Poehler’s character from Mean Girls

Heard a lot of the same this morning. The hot take was that a men's coach would have been publicly destroyed for the way LSU played Clark, but the media is less prone to go after women's coaches the same way. Also, Mulkey is insane; so, maybe fear is the reason for the hesitancy to critique.
Where did you hear that a lot?

Ah. So the media.

I think that's an awful take. First of all, LSU was the #3 seed. A #3 seed losing to a #1 seed like that isn't unusual. Second, Caitlin is often compared to Steph and we've seen plenty of men coaches over the years fail to effectively gameplan against Steph. I don't remember that many critiques. Clark seems to fall into the great players getting theirs category. Doesn't seem like anybody is stopping the criticisms. But that explains why there may not be as many as some want.

i see a lot of criticism of keeping HVL on Clark on twitter
Apparently, all of those thoughts are awful takes.

Going under screens for the best shooter in women's college basketball and never adjusting will ensure that the great player will get "hers".

Back