• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023-24 Wake Forest Basketball Season - 21-14 (11-9) - KP#29 / NET#43

I'd like to get 20 pts and 10 rebs from our center, but that has nothing to do with what I wrote. I wrote that last year was one of the best examples of playing to someone's strengths that I have ever seen. Let me try to explain it this way - NOT playing to Marsh's strengths would be putting him in iso and running the offense through him. Maybe he would get 4 more pts per game and a few more assists, but he would shoot 35% (instead of 88%) and turn the ball over 4 times per game (instead of 0.4). That would be NOT playing to his strength. I think Forbes and crew absolutely used Marsh perfectly last year given his skillset.
we might be saying the same thing - it appears to me that his strengths would be blocking out for rebounds, ala unseld, defending the low post, and throwing the outlet well after successively defending the low post. If he is doing those things, and I think he can, we can easily live with his 88% on dunks and layups. If not, and I think he can, we probably don’t benefit from those 6 points per game.

FWIW, some stats from the WF v. St. Joe's 2004 Sweet 16:

Eric Williams 28 minutes 7 for 8 from the field 5 for 6 from the line 19 points (on 8 shots - essentially impossible to be more efficient than that)
Kyle Visser 11 minutes 1 for 2 from the field 1 for 2 from the line 3 points (neither Visser nor Williams had a blocked shot)

Also, the stats don't support that St. Joe's won the game because they dominated the paint. WF had more 2 point goals than STJ (19 to 17) and WF shot a higher % from 2 (54% to 50%) - largely because St. Joe's couldn't stop Big E inside. WF lost to St. Joe's that night by 4 because Pat Carroll shot 5 for 7 from three and a STJ reserve named Tyrone Barley went 4 from 6 from three (after going 9 for 13 from three against WF in the Sweet 16; of course, those two went 3 for 13 in St. Joe's loss to OK State in the Elite 8). In total, against WF, St. Joe's out-scored WF by 12 from three, and won the game by 4 points. Blaming the loss because Eric Williams should have played less when he scored 19 points in 28 minutes on 8 shots is some crazy revisionist history.

The Achilles heal of that team was that we had little guards. Bigger shooting guards could feast. West and Carroll ate our lunch, and so did Nelson (who was not big but physical) and Barley.

I was at the Dean Dome for the 3OT game as well. I think the only other game I saw there was in the early aughts when Ari Stewart hit a three from the outer banks on the NC logo. So I'm 2-0 in that building, which is nice.

I was at the Dean Dome for the 3OT game as well. I think the only other game I saw there was in the early aughts when Ari Stewart hit a three from the outer banks on the NC logo. So I'm 2-0 in that building, which is nice.
I was there too- in Tar Heel player seats- rooting for the Deacs hard. Those were fun days. I’m currently wiping the face paint off a screaming child, so enjoy it kids.

The Achilles heal of that team was that we had little guards. Bigger shooting guards could feast. West and Carroll ate our lunch, and so did Nelson (who was not big but physical) and Barley.
Anyone arguing that Big E should have played less has lost their mind. Perhaps you could say we should have played Visser WITH Big E a little more - maybe. But we needed Williams on the floor as much as possible.

Just saw the highlights above from Cam's game Sunday. My goodness he looks like a problem. Those were some tough finishes, and he also had a couple of nice stepback 3's.

If Cam maintains that level of confidence in his shot he’s poised for a great season. Last year when he got stuck too much down low it felt like that was his crutch a little bit because he didn’t fully trust his outside shot.

I'm surprised in over 24 hours of discussion about Visser's early career, no one mentioned his play in the triple OT win at the Dean Dome. He had 13 and 8 in 20 minutes and was key in the 3rd OT playing with Big E after several players fouled out.
Wow, one of my favorite Wake hoops wins. I forgot about Visser's play that game/year. My enduring memory is Big E repeatedly scoring inside against an outmatched Jawad Williams (I think).

Back