• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023-24 Wake Forest Basketball Season - 21-14 (11-9) - KP#29 / NET#43

what's the reasoning of that all or nothing approach when you can do 4(?) games in football
The football coaches have more sway over the NCAA?

I don't know, that's kind of joking, but kind of not. They're the ones that pushed it for their sport. I've yet to hear a basketball coach complain about football getting to play guys and retain redshirts while they can't; doesn't mean they don't exist, just haven't heard of it.

Also: Tides on this are probably shifting, but for the past few years basketball coaches weren't redshirting players because that meant they were likely transferring. Football, development with a redshirt year is a lot more commonly accepted/understood approach.

The team is playing great, but it's absolute insanity for anyone to think a healthy Damari, shooting like last year, doesn't take this team to a new level. He was shooting the highest percentage since JJ Redick on the amount of threes he was taking and making last year. The dude is a flamethrower and absolute nightmare for opposing defenses. And when you have to guard boopie cam and hunter already, sheeeeesh
Also think that Hunter and Cam forced some shots on Saturday that they likely wouldn't have taken if they had the option to get the ball to an open Damari. We can use every single minute that he could give us going forward, especially if Hunter or Cam get into foul trouble.

Also think that Hunter and Cam forced some shots on Saturday that they likely wouldn't have taken if they had the option to get the ball to an open Damari. We can use every single minute that he could give us going forward, especially if Hunter or Cam get into foul trouble.
Don't even need foul trouble. Just being able to rest those guys (and Boopie) will pay dividends later in the season. I mean how much would it help if say Sallis needed a rest and the best three point shooter in college steps on the court for those minutes. Just when the other team thought they could relax...

There was an editorial in Old Gold and Black in the early 70s criticizing the loss of home court advantage by moving games to Greensboro, especially the Carolina game.

This is the best image I can find of the inside of the War Memorial Coliseum. It sort of looks like VT's Cassell Coliseum? I have not been to either in person. Honesty, looks better than LJVM. I like the cross-arches a lot.

uzz_evj_02104.jpg

This is the best image I can find of the inside of the War Memorial Coliseum. It sort of looks like VT's Cassell Coliseum? I have not been to either in person. Honesty, looks better than LJVM. I like the cross-arches a lot.

uzz_evj_02104.jpg
It was not better than LJVM. This picture is from when the coliseum was fairly new. By the time Wake moved some games to GSO it was very outdated.

what's the reasoning of that all or nothing approach when you can do 4(?) games in football
Football is the exception. IIRC, in every other NCAA sport, if you compete for any part of a game (or meet), then that counts as a year of eligibility. One at bat in baseball, one minute in soccer, one meet in cross-country etc. and unless the athlete is granted the medical waiver, any participation counts toward a year of eligibility.

Football is the exception. IIRC, in every other NCAA sport, if you compete for any part of a game (or meet), then that counts as a year of eligibility. One at bat in baseball, one minute in soccer, one meet in cross-country etc. and unless the athlete is granted the medical waiver, any participation counts toward a year of eligibility.
It wasn't always that way in basketball. I remember Wake getting redshirts for injured players who got hurt early in the season (Frank Johnson & Alvis Rogers come to mind)

It was not better than LJVM. This picture is from when the coliseum was fairly new. By the time Wake moved some games to GSO it was very outdated.
When did that happen, early 80s? So we are about the same point with LJVM when WF made the decision to move some games from the WMC.

I know we’ve moved on but as someone who made the University parkway walk from campus to the Couch almost every home game it can be pretty inconvenient, but it’s doable. It’s about an hour long and depending which way you go you gotta jump a fence. I didn’t mind it but given safety, lighting, and dumb drivers being dumb drivers I can totally get why others wouldn’t be a fan of it

When did that happen, early 80s? So we are about the same point with LJVM when WF made the decision to move some games from the WMC.
I believe that 1980-1981 was the last season that we played all of our games in WS Memorial Coliseum.

It wasn't always that way in basketball. I remember Wake getting redshirts for injured players who got hurt early in the season (Frank Johnson & Alvis Rogers come to mind)
Not positive, but I believe those were medical waivers. Don't think a basketball player could ever play a few games, and then just decide to red shirt without an injury that kept him/her from playing.

my parents were 80-84 at Wake and know they were going to GSO for games during that stretch at some point

Back