• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023-24 Wake Forest Basketball Season - 21-14 (11-9) - KP#29 / NET#43

I think the "lack of explosiveness" thing is a little bit of a trick of the eye because he does have a little bit of a loose/casual/effortless appearance to his movements often

FWIW, I think the defensive information has some merit. Sallis is good-to-great on the ball, but does seem to struggle with screens. I think he is a pretty solid rebounder for his size/position, however.

I assume he will turn pro and I wish him the best. He is fun to watch.

i dont think it's an awful scouting report, but i think it was pretty clearly written mostly (if not entirely) based on just looking at the advanced stats these guys have from synergy or whatever the current source is.

the comment is being
metrics bad example #195439

I think the "lack of explosiveness" thing is a little bit of a trick of the eye because he does have a little bit of a loose/casual/effortless appearance to his movements often
Yeah, he reminds me of myself. So damn silky smooth that everything looks effortless.

And yeah, he could definitely get stronger (which is an area where we differ).

FWIW, I think the defensive information has some merit. Sallis is good-to-great on the ball, but does seem to struggle with screens. I think he is a pretty solid rebounder for his size/position, however.

I assume he will turn pro and I wish him the best. He is fun to watch.

Agreed, his defense has been somewhat disappointing especially because Forbes hyped him as potentially special in that category. He certainly has the physical tools. Certainly seems like he has the ability to play in the NBA and does a lot of things well but right now he’s not exceptional at any one thing. Curious to see how NBA people rate him as they start to get closer to the draft.

Those that prepare these draft reports are barely a level above the hucksters that prepare HS recruiting rankings.

Respectfully, you are incredibly wrong in this particular instance. Givony's work ethic and breadth of knowledge (not to mention his track record of projecting picks) is unparalleled in this space.

yeah, this is what i think givony is getting at

sallis is smoother than he is explosive

he isn't an athlete like jonathan kuminga or malik monk are athletes, for example

it's not an insult, but it does give you a sense of how his athleticism will translate into an nba role. a lot of elite athletes struggle to adapt to nba environments and end up not really being able to play the same way that they did at lower levels

Your Devin Vassell comp was dead on. He's a nice finisher when he gets the chance, but he's not a guy who easily gets into the lane and destroys the rim on the regular.

Back up to KP 27 / NET 36 - also Jesus man Utah really is worse than us on the road. About to hop into Q2 loss territory for us

Plus he’s Hunter $allis on Twitter and reposted the Givony scouting report.

also, of course he explores his pro options this year. They all will consider it whether rational or not.

Interestingly, on the latest Game Theory podcast by our friend Sam Vecinie, at around the 25 minute mark he and the guest start talking about Bronny James’ draft prospects. To exemplify how shaky Bronny’s draft prospects are given his meh play to date, the guest flat out asks: “Let’s put it this way—who’s better, Bronny James or Hunter Sallis?” He and Sam Vecinie both emphatically agree that Hunter is “significantly” better than Bronny and that even he (Hunter) is still “only” in the 25 to 45 range on Sam’s current big board.

Thought it was interesting.

Lebron and Bronny are setting themselves up to be the ultimate example of nepotism. Bronny needs to stay at USC to avoid the shame of taking an undeserved draft spot and roster spot.

Back