• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 ACC Tournament Discussion Thread

My hypothesis is that WF is the worst men’s program in D1 regarding conference tournament performance over the past 25 years

Not the worst in the ACC. That is verifiable fact. Worst in America.

My hypothesis is that WF is the worst men’s program in D1 regarding conference tournament performance over the past 25 years

I'm sure there are teams that have a worse overall record. Relative to talent level and total wins, who knows. If I have some time later I'll take a look around to see what's going on record wise conference wise even with bad teams.

It's hard to imagine a program being worse.

Wake women's basketball has made the quarterfinals 8 times since 2009 (including one semifinals in 2012) is traditionally one of the worst athletic programs in the ACC.

Yeah I mean from Twitter:

"Alright, that time of year again. Let's take a sad look:

Last ACC Tournament QF appearance by team:
2022: Duke, Cuse, Miami, BC, ND, VT, UNC, UVA
2021: GT, FSU
2020: Clemson, Louisville, State
2016: Pitt
2009: Wake Forest"

Hell over half the conference makes the quarters every year just by virtue of 15 teams

Tennessee Tech has not won the OVC title since 1963. John Pelphrey got them to the championship game this year, but lost in OT. Perhaps they have been worse.

The most recent team other than us to make the quarterfinals, Pitt, made it the year after I graduated from law school. Wake made it to the quarters the last time in my freshman year at Wake - and we didn't even win a game to get there, we got the double bye

Here is W-L record over the past 25 years. Maryland has twice as many ACC tournament wins as us and they participated in 17 of 25 tournaments. Notre Dame, BC, Miami, Virginia Tech all with more wins than us despite not being in the conference for a good chunk of time:

Duke52110.825
North Carolina38210.644
Notre Dame1170.611
Miami (FL)18170.514
NC State25240.510
Maryland16160.500
Florida State19230.452
Virginia Tech14170.452
Virginia17210.447
Syracuse570.417
Boston College12170.414
Pittsburgh690.400
Georgia Tech13230.361
Louisville360.333
Clemson11240.314
Wake Forest8250.242

Tennessee Tech has not won the OVC title since 1963. John Pelphrey got them to the championship game this year, but lost in OT. Perhaps they have been worse.
If they played in the championship game this year, that's not worse than Wake over the last 25 years.

Wake was .403 in conference over that 25 years. Based on seeding, I'm guessing the slate of teams Wake has played in the ACC tournament on Tuesday and Wednesday is worse than the overall slate of teams. Case in point, the last time Wake played Duke in the ACC Tournament was 2006 in the semis. The last time Wake played UNC was in 2000 in the quarters.

Last edited:
I'll see you Wake's pitiful run over the last 20 years or so and raise you Clemson's performances over the entirety of the ACC's existence. They've made the conference finals twice (1962 and 2008) since 1953 and never won it despite competing in every single ACCT.

I'll see you Wake's pitiful run over the last 20 years or so and raise you Clemson's performances over the entirety of the ACC's existence. They've made the conference finals twice (1962 and 2008) since 1953 and never won it despite competing in every single ACCT.

yeah, that is worse. somehow I think Clemson fans are ok filling the trophy case each fall.

Clemson has only made the semifinals 13 times which is even more embarrassing when you consider for the first 40-50 years, you just needed to win one game to make the semis.

They have 9 wins since 2007. I stopped there. WF has 8 wins over the last 25.

The OVC does not let everyone into the conference tournament, so some years they don't even get in. We should look into that.

Every time Ga Tech gets close they throw up some garbage 3.

Last edited:
Is no one else’s feed having a stroke or frozen video with just audio half the time?

No issues here (Youtube TV ACCN)

Tie game with a minute left. Ga Tech just got a rebound with 20 seconds to play.

Just saw on Twitter earlier from @FanaticDeac that Wake last made the quarterfinals in 2009.

And that year we didn’t have to win any games to make the quarterfinals. We finished 2nd and of course lost our first game to #7 seed Maryland

Ga Tech missed a dunk with 2 seconds left. Ga Tech fouled on the put back! Going to the line with .2 seconds left. It would be Ga Tech's first lead of the game.

61 - 60 Ga Tech with another ft to go and only .2 seconds on the clock. Brutal end to a brutal season for FSU.

That would be brutal, especially given the missed/blocked dunk. Intentionally missed the second free throw. Nothing you can do with just .2 left in that scenario.

I was fortunate to hop in at Ga Tech +185 ML when they were down 8 in the first half.

Back