• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 Carolina Panthers thread - HOF Julius Peppers

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2023/...oud-mvp-historic-rookie-season-houston-texans

Stroud is now second in the NFL in passing yards and ranks in the top 10 in almost every efficiency metric, including expected points added and QBR. That’s how Houston has stuck around in the playoff chase despite featuring a bad running game and an exciting but mediocre defense.

This is what the great quarterbacks do. They accelerate a team’s timeline. Stroud has been so good, so early, that it’s no longer a question whether he should be the offensive rookie of the year, or whether the Panthers erred in passing on him to take Bryce Young with the top pick in April. Those conversations have already moved on. Stroud’s points of comparison aren’t Young, Anthony Richardson, and Will Levis. They’re Dan Marino, Andrew Luck, and Justin Herbert—at least among all-time NFL rookie seasons. If you didn’t know anything about the second pick from the 2023 draft, I’d forgive you for thinking “the first rookie QB since” was part of his legal name. It’s all you heard after Stroud led Houston to a second game-winning drive in as many weeks on Sunday.

Stroud is on pace to become the first rookie QB to lead the NFL in passing yards since Davey O’Brien in 1939. Only Herbert and Luck threw for more yards in their first nine starts. Since the turn of the century, only five rookie quarterbacks have averaged more EPA per dropback: Ben Roethlisberger (2004), Matt Ryan (2008), Robert Griffin III (2012), Russell Wilson (2012), and Dak Prescott (2016). Here’s a list of first-year quarterbacks who have averaged more yards per dropback over that span:

There is no list. It’s Stroud all by himself.

We don’t even need the “rookie” caveat to talk about Stroud anymore. He ranks seventh in the NFL in EPA per play after 10 weeks. He’s slotted in right behind Tua Tagovailoa, who’s throwing to Tyreek Hill and Jaylen Waddle and backed by the league’s most efficient run game, and Jalen Hurts, who is pulling in $51 million a year to throw to A.J. Brown and DeVonta Smith while playing behind the best offensive line in football. The Texans have provided Stroud with a good (not great) supporting cast, and he’s keeping pace with two guys who have been in the MVP discussion the past two years. He’s been more efficient than Herbert, Burrow, Matthew Stafford, Geno Smith, Trevor Lawrence, Jared Goff, and Kirk Cousins. He is leading a passing game that ranks third in DVOA. We aren’t just watching a great rookie season; this would be a great season for any quarterback in the league, regardless of experience level.
You just cited his ranking in a rookie stat that puts him behind 1 excellent QB, 1 really good QB, 2 guys who never achieved anything despite playing in the modern passing era and are more known for their epic collapses than anything positive, and 1 bust. So how is that stat relevant to anything?

CJ Stroud may turn out to be great. But he is far from it at this point. I'm still taking Caleb Williams and Drake Maye over him every time. Which has been my point from the beginning.

It will be a sick irony if after so many years of flurrying at the end of the season to get to a middling win total while still missing the playoffs, we don't get those late wins but we've traded the #1 pick.

Also, I'm almost as sad about the Texans potentially getting their coach of the future in Demeco Ryans as I am Stroud. I thought his style fit with Carolina better than Reich's, yet here we are.

Last edited:
Would I want him over Bryce Young? Sure, but again that is still the tallest midget competition, as it always has been. Stroud is having a good year, but, unlike the Panthers, the Texans have immediately surrounded him with a really good offensive line and defense. He tried multiple times to give that game away yesterday. The "best rookie QB season ever" nonsense is overblown. Any good QB season in today's NFL is going to be statistically better than a similar season in years' past, simply because of the rule changes and resulting style of play. It is like the "highest paid NFL QB ever!!!11!!!1!" conversation; it is simply a matter of who comes up next.

Would I want him in lieu of the Wilks/Darnold/DJ Moore combo then go get a top-2 pick in this year's draft as I initially campaigned for? Absolutely not.
This is one of the craziest hot tales I’ve seen on these boards in hot second

Yeah this has always been the thing. How someone performs in the NFL >>> hypothetical on how someone might perform in the NFL.

I probably preferred Young because of the cognitive testing BS when I should have remembered Cam came across as a dummy before we drafted him too
Maybe everyone over rotated on the cognitive testing stuff. I think people saw Brock Purdy last year and went “holy shit, if you score super high on these tests, you’re going to be a great QB regardless of your physical traits! Bryce scored Purdy level results, he had to be great!”

Now people are saying Stroud is an outlier playing this well despite his test results. Perhaps it’s the other way around and Purdy was the outlier all along.

Six years ago, the Deacs and Panthers combined for 109 points.

Wake won 64-43 at Cuse to get to 6-4. Wolford threw for 363 yards and 3 TDs. He ran 136 yards for 3 TDs. Colburn had 237 yards and 2 TDs.

The Panthers beat the Dolphins had home 45-21. Cam passed for 254 yards and 4 TDs. He rushed for 95 yards. JStew had 110 yards. CAP had 68 yards and a TD. CMC had 23 yards and a TD.

That was a long time ago.

josh downs has been solid and went a round later than mingo as well (right before we traded up to take dj johnson)

i feel pretty confident saying that even 2&2 probably could have drafted better than Fitt

i feel pretty confident saying that even 2&2 probably could have drafted better than Fitt
I'm on record here as wanting Howell. But it really doesn't matter - Howell, Stroud, Downs, Perry ... this franchise and coaching staff would likely have ruined them all anyway. Baker Mayfield is serviceable away from this cesspool. Nothing is going to change until Tepper sells the team or at least gets completely out of the way.

Back