• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 Carolina Panthers thread - HOF Julius Peppers

Has it been compiled how much draft capital has been wasted trying to get a QB?

Grier
Darnold
Corral
Mayfield
Young

Literally all of that should have been used trying to improve the roster

-2019 3rd round #100 (Grier)
+2021 6th round #191 (Bridgewater trade - Panthers traded it to Eagles who picked PS DE Tarron Jackson)
-2021 6th round #226 (Darnold trade - Jets traded it to the Chiefs who picked starting RG Trey Smith)
-2022 2nd round #38 (Darnold trade - Jets --> Giants --> Falcons who picked starting OLB Arnold Ebiketie)
-2022 4th round #111 (Darnold trade - Jets picked starting RT Matt Mitchell)
-2022 4th round #137 (Corral trade - Pats picked QB Bailey Zappe)
-2023 1st round #9 (Young trade - Bears traded it to the Eagles who took likely DROY DT Jalen Carter)
-2023 2nd round #61 (Young trade - Acquired for CMC; Bears traded it to the Jags who took backup TE Brenton Strange)
-2023 3rd round #76 (Corral trade - Pats picked backup LB Marte Mapu)
-2024 1st round pick (Young trade)
-2024 5th round pick (Mayfield trade)
-2025 2nd round pick (Young trade)

By the way, it was stunning to see the reaction from Bucs fans when Mayfield was injured yesterday compared to how we felt about Mayfield.

If they had just kept Ruhle, the team would have sucked enough to draft a QB without trading up. Then we would have had a qb without mortgaging the future. That would have led us to this year, where Reich shat the bed. But at least we would have had our own picks to either (a) draft another QB; or (b) trade down for another #1 and then draft a tackle/WR.
Yeah. Doing nothing else at several points would have worked out better than this. And Mayfield's performance for the Rams and Bucs makes me wonder if they should have just kept him to see what he could have done with the next coach.

Trading CMC:Firing Dino::Draft Fuckups:Hiring Bz

Yeah. Doing nothing else at several points would have worked out better than this. And Mayfield's performance for the Rams and Bucs makes me wonder if they should have just kept him to see what he could have done with the next coach.
Or, as I suggested at the time, just kept Darnold who, when healthy, played fine for this team behind this same line. Which somehow has become impossible and the fallback excuse for Bryce.

Which is why it is ridiculous to use as an excuse for Bryce. Darnold, who everyone wanted run out of town, could do it. But somehow the #1 pick in the draft can't?

But SD3, do you agree with what guitar’s source said Tepper said? Do you think the CMC trade worked?

Are the Panthers the first franchise to fire coaches midseason in back to back years?
Tepper setting records

I'll go further than that. When Rhule was fired, the roster was fine except at QB. The roster wasn't good and certainly had holes, but it wasn't a dumpster fire. Yes, the rookie LT was struggling. Yes, they still had the worst TE situation in the league. Yes, the WR position behind DJ was underwhelming. But they could have just stuck with the same core and added through the draft and the franchise would have been in better shape than it is now.
Shit we’d be in the playoffs in this terribad division

Disagree. There were a number of throws yesterday where he was running for his life or about to be hit and put the ball on the money. Some of them, the receiver wasn't even open at all, but his placement was perfect.
Only saw snippets yesterday on NFLN, but it looks like he's running for his life on every pass play. I was at Stroud's 1st game in Balmur, and it was a rough outing. He didn't turn it over, but he was pressured all game and didn't look good. But the few times he had sufficient time, he made some good throws. I left thinking he was going to have a rough rookie year but that he had potential. Young is on a team with the worst OL and 1 of the worst WR corps in the league. And he's not throwing anywhere near as many picks as Manning did his rookie year in Indy in a similar situation. He is not the problem.

And I agree with Guitar about the CMC trade. He certainly could not have been accused of playing through injuries at Carolina. It was a good trade in the sense you got back good draft capital. That Fit did nothing with it points to the real problem - it's Tepper and the FO.

Seems like a lot of authority for the interim

Those coaches weren't sticking around for the new staff anyways, so might as well let the interim guy set himself up however he likes to try and salvage some games this season.

I, for one, am excited for Caldwell to implement the Rusty LaRue shovel-pass offense for Bryce. That should work well in the NFL. Seriously, why would anyone let that guy make any football decisions at this point? Outside of being fortunate enough to be paired with Peyton Manning for a few years where I could have had the same success coaching, Caldwell has shown nothing but complete ineptitude over 3 decades.

Or, as I suggested at the time, just kept Darnold who, when healthy, played fine for this team behind this same line. Which somehow has become impossible and the fallback excuse for Bryce.

Which is why it is ridiculous to use as an excuse for Bryce. Darnold, who everyone wanted run out of town, could do it. But somehow the #1 pick in the draft can't?
2&2 I love ya but the offensive line play this season - for whatever reason - is a thousand times worse than last season in all areas, but especially pass blocking. I don’t care what any stat or metric anyone digs up shows that’s just the reality. There is no pocket ever. It’s unwatchable. I agree with the poster that said the OL coach Campen is stealing his paycheck.

what's strange is that the blocking scheme this year has gone away from what we did last year and what campen has been successful coaching

I, for one, am excited for Caldwell to implement the Rusty LaRue shovel-pass offense for Bryce. That should work well in the NFL. Seriously, why would anyone let that guy make any football decisions at this point? Outside of being fortunate enough to be paired with Peyton Manning for a few years where I could have had the same success coaching, Caldwell has shown nothing but complete ineptitude over 3 decades.
That is just wrong.

Caldwell coached the Lions for four seasons (Peyton Mannng was not on the roster for any of them). He went 36-28. He had three winning seasons; two playoff appearances.

The records of the Lions coaches that preceded and succeeded Caldwell:

Marty Mornhinweg: 5-27
Steve Mariucci 15-28
Rod Marinelli 10-38
Jim Schwartz 29-51
Matt Patricia 13-29
Dan Campbell 20-24

That's a group of 7 coaches, including Caldwell. Outside of Campbell, they all sucked ass.... bad. All of those guys have or had jobs with other organizations after getting fired. Caldwell was the only one with a winning record in Detroit. He won when no else could before or after. Yet, you rag on the Panthers for giving Caldwell the chance to maintain some semblance of order while the Panthers try to figure things out? Caldwell getting fired by the Lions one of the greatest fuckjobs of all-time, particularly considering the epic failures before and after. Caldwell will do right by the Panthers.

Back