• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 Carolina Panthers thread - HOF Julius Peppers

The constant shotgun usage has hurt the offensive line too. I'm telling you, never using play action hurts in the NFL. You have to freeze a damn defender for at least a nanosecond every once in a while.

The constant shotgun usage has hurt the offensive line too. I'm telling you, never using play action hurts in the NFL. You have to freeze a damn defender for at least a nanosecond every once in a while.
maybe doesn't help if the playaction is to Miles Sanders and no one is scared of him

i was young during the larue days but i do remember there was no shortage of pass attempts for rusty -- several 50+ attempt days, I would imagine

don't remember the shovel pass being a big part of the scheme

i was young during the larue days but i do remember there was no shortage of pass attempts for rusty -- several 50+ attempt days, I would imagine

don't remember the shovel pass being a big part of the scheme

Young has a better offensive line than LaRue did. Rusty was lucky to make it through the season without having multiple body parts removed.

That is just wrong.

Caldwell coached the Lions for four seasons (Peyton Mannng was not on the roster for any of them). He went 36-28. He had three winning seasons; two playoff appearances.

The records of the Lions coaches that preceded and succeeded Caldwell:

Marty Mornhinweg: 5-27
Steve Mariucci 15-28
Rod Marinelli 10-38
Jim Schwartz 29-51
Matt Patricia 13-29
Dan Campbell 20-24

That's a group of 7 coaches, including Caldwell. Outside of Campbell, they all sucked ass.... bad. All of those guys have or had jobs with other organizations after getting fired. Caldwell was the only one with a winning record in Detroit. He won when no else could before or after. Yet, you rag on the Panthers for giving Caldwell the chance to maintain some semblance of order while the Panthers try to figure things out? Caldwell getting fired by the Lions one of the greatest fuckjobs of all-time, particularly considering the epic failures before and after. Caldwell will do right by the Panthers.
Caldwell deserves this excellent defense, and Pilch is correct. The former NE Lions GM had to go hire him a former NE coach, and the rest is history. Never been a Lions fan, but I'm happy for that fan base that they finally have a functional GM and coach.

All of that said, you're still wrong about UVA.:cool:

Young has a better offensive line than LaRue did. Rusty was lucky to make it through the season without having multiple body parts removed.

We loved it at the time, but it was pure lunacy to put a key rotation player from a national championship contending basketball team at QB for a losing team and have him throw 50+ times a game.

Last edited:
i don't think I ever knew which team paid for LaRue's scholarship

I assumed it was football

i don't think I ever knew which team paid for LaRue's scholarship

I assumed it was football
I'm pretty sure it was. But looking back, Wellman probably should have negotiated a deal to work that out.

2&2 or Fitterer to build out the Panthers over the next 5 years.

Who you taking?

2&2 I love ya but the offensive line play this season - for whatever reason - is a thousand times worse than last season in all areas, but especially pass blocking. I don’t care what any stat or metric anyone digs up shows that’s just the reality. There is no pocket ever. It’s unwatchable. I agree with the poster that said the OL coach Campen is stealing his paycheck.
You kind of wonder if they all packed it in for a paycheck after not hiring Wilks. I mean if ownership isn't going to make an effort, why should the players?

You kind of wonder if they all packed it in for a paycheck after not hiring Wilks. I mean if ownership isn't going to make an effort, why should the players?
Because players are always playing for their next contract. If a player mails it in, he's either going to be out of the league or at a minimum going to take a big hit on his next contract.

Anybody else thought of a possible reason the OC or DC wasn't promoted to interim and instead chose the special teams coordinator ? Could it have at least entered into it that Tepper likely knows he won't promote either of them to head coach and doesn't want to be called out that he didn't keep the black interim coach - again - for the head job (assuming some sort of Wilks-like success)?

Anybody else thought of a possible reason the OC or DC wasn't promoted to interim and instead chose the special teams coordinator ? Could it have at least entered into it that Tepper likely knows he won't promote either of them to head coach and doesn't want to be called out that he didn't keep the black interim coach again for the head job?

Likely more to do with the Rooney rule. Evero is 100% going to get poached in the future. Should it be next offseason, then the Panthers net 2 third round draft picks. If you promote him this season and don't retain him, then he leaves on his own. No picks. I guess the thought would be hoping he sticks around with the next staff. Probably a small chance. But not a 0% chance like promoting him now would be.

Rooney rule 100% working against Evero and Brown here (though I don't think Brown had any shot at getting promoted today)

Anybody else thought of a possible reason the OC or DC wasn't promoted to interim and instead chose the special teams coordinator ? Could it have at least entered into it that Tepper likely knows he won't promote either of them to head coach and doesn't want to be called out that he didn't keep the black interim coach - again - for the head job (assuming some sort of Wilks-like success)?

it is a shitty job

Likely more to do with the Rooney rule. Evero is 100% going to get poached in the future. Should it be next offseason, then the Panthers net 2 third round draft picks. If you promote him this season and don't retain him, then he leaves on his own. No picks. I guess the thought would be hoping he sticks around with the next staff. Probably a small chance. But not a 0% chance like promoting him now would be.

Rooney rule 100% working against Evero and Brown here (though I don't think Brown had any shot at getting promoted today)

Also think this could apply to Samir Suleiman with the GM position. He has already seen interest from Pittsburg. Panthers get 2 third-rounders if he is hired as a GM.

I'm pretty sure it was. But looking back, Wellman probably should have negotiated a deal to work that out.
There was no deal to negotiate. Football is 1st priority for any other sport- you have to use a football scholarship. Basketball takes priority over anything else.

There was no deal to negotiate. Football is 1st priority for any other sport- you have to use a football scholarship. Basketball takes priority over anything else.
You don't have to use a football scholarship for someone who isn't on the football team anymore.

Back