• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 Carolina Panthers thread - HOF Julius Peppers

I care about hiring the right football coach. These owners have private planes. They can afford to not rely on sketchy WiFi for a job interview.

I care about hiring the right football coach. These owners have private planes. They can afford to not rely on sketchy WiFi for a job interview.
I mean I am a luddite most of the time, but I don't get your opposition to zoom meetings. They make GMs and scouts jobs easier and allow you to meet with coaching candidates before you are allowed to meet with them physically. When it comes to the final 2-4 interviews, the teams will fly those guys in. If you don't do zoom meetings in this 2 week period, then you're a big step behind the other teams that have. That's worse than Dabo saying he won't hand out NIL $$ and use the transfer portal when those things are legal and used by all other teams.

Interesting I got spell checked on luddite.

The #Panthers have completed nine virtual interviews so far, as listed below.
In-person interviews are allowed to begin on January 22nd.
•Chris Tabor (Panthers Interim HC)
•Todd Monken (Ravens OC)
•Mike Macdonald (Ravens DC)
•Ejiro Evero (Panthers DC)
•Frank Smith (Dolphins OC)
•Raheem Morris (Rams DC)
•Dan Quinn (Cowboys DC)
•Brian Callahan (Bengals OC)
•Bobby Slowik (Texans OC)

I get that's a Rooney Rule waste of time, but you'd think they could have found someone better than Thomas Brown to at least give the possibility of it being legit. That is just a blatant farce. He might have been the worst OC I've ever seen. At least have the decency to choose Evero over Brown.

Perspective on the Panthers GM opening from a former NFL GM: https://theathletic.com/5202080/202...atriots-raiders-chargers-commanders-panthers/

"The Panthers dismissed Scott Fitterer after three seasons, but by now we all know what we are dealing with inside the walls of any building where owner David Tepper resides. The view from the outside is one of an impulsive and sometimes overbearing personality who might insert himself and his opinions into any decision and situation, even if not qualified.

This is not just my opinion. Others have said that listening to people who might be more qualified than him isn’t exactly Tepper’s strong suit. He might be the kind of guy who would call Tom Landry or Don Shula on the phone … and then do all the talking. He seems so lacking in self-awareness. Because of his deep pockets, which brought him this team, he wakes up on third base in the football world each morning and thinks he hit a triple to get there.

In a business where decisions are best when backed by lifetimes of perspective and experience, a self-proclaimed instant expert makes me nervous.

However, the positives are there as well. Tepper provides unlimited financial support, which means the GM will always have the freedom to structure contracts to spend more cash than cap to keep quality players and ample depth on the roster. As a GM, this gives you a chance. If you can evaluate and value pieces of the team-building puzzle correctly — and keep Tepper’s insistence to give his opinions under control — you might be able to re-stock a roster that is devoid of talent.

The Panthers have $37.3 million in available cap space for 2024, according to Over the Cap, which is better than most. They also have no first-round pick (they’re sending the No. 1 pick to the Bears as part of the Bryce Young acquisition) in the draft and are committed — because of the prior regime’s level of investment — to a quarterback whom some of us would struggle to build around. The negatives outweigh the positives."

is it likely that after today we'll have interviewed all our candidates and next week it's on to in-person, assuming they're not still coaching?

The #Panthers have completed nine virtual interviews so far, as listed below.
In-person interviews are allowed to begin on January 22nd.
•Chris Tabor (Panthers Interim HC)
•Todd Monken (Ravens OC)
•Mike Macdonald (Ravens DC)
•Ejiro Evero (Panthers DC)
•Frank Smith (Dolphins OC)
•Raheem Morris (Rams DC)
•Dan Quinn (Cowboys DC)
•Brian Callahan (Bengals OC)
•Bobby Slowik (Texans OC)

So the NFL is in on the whole virtual interview thing with Webbex and Zoom apparently.

I think my mom is still a completely disinterested Falcons fan.

i don't know why some of you get so bent out of shape over the rooney rule

People against the Rooney Rule claim not to be racist but don’t want to be told not to be racist.

They claim to want to hire the best person for the job but can’t fathom that person may not be a white guy.

It’s a very minor rule, the bare minimum. If you’re only interviewing white guys for any job, you’re not doing a thorough search.

Back