• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 Carolina Panthers thread - HOF Julius Peppers

People against the Rooney Rule claim not to be racist but don’t want to be told not to be racist.

They claim to want to hire the best person for the job but can’t fathom that person may not be a white guy.

It’s a very minor rule, the bare minimum. If you’re only interviewing white guys for any job, you’re not doing a thorough search.
it's understanding overt racism vs systemic racism. As a middle aged white it's tough to get your brain around it all the time.
I don't think most of the folks on here are blatantly racist...just have blind spots (including me) from years of not having to care about such things.

People against the Rooney Rule claim not to be racist but don’t want to be told not to be racist.

They claim to want to hire the best person for the job but can’t fathom that person may not be a white guy.

It’s a very minor rule, the bare minimum. If you’re only interviewing white guys for any job, you’re not doing a thorough search.

DeMaurice Smith, African American, Head of NFL PA, Racist.

Wrote a 100 page paper on why the Rooney Rule is a failue.

"According to former Atlanta Falcons vice president Ray Anderson, the owners knew all along that the Rooney Rule could become a “check
the box exercise.”1

Wow. Shocking. The exact same thing has been posted on OGB. Racists.

Ph, how will you go about telling DeMaurice that he is racist? Twitter? LinkedIn? Letter to NFL PA?

"Some owners have followed the letter of Rooney Rule without followingits spirit by allegedly interviewing young, inexperienced employees of color that already workfor their team before announcing new white hires.245 Others have been accused of conductingbrief phone interviews with minority candidates.246 A"

See: Brown, Thomas, Panthers OC

The exact point we were trying to make before being called racist by Ph

i think the nuance is that he is saying that the rooney rule doesn't work as intended, but i doubt he has an issue with the fact that minority candidates are getting interviewed

The rule is 100% broken. That's been the point we've been making the whole time. But Ph can't live in a world where critical thinking is necessary to find a solution. Is easier to just call people racist and move on.

BTW, in my job when i hire someone i have to provide a write up as to why i am not interviewing a diverse candidate. And at least 2 of the people involved in the interview process have to be diverse employees.
The Rooney Rule isn't very different than what most multi-billion dollar organizations have in place.

"Some owners have followed the letter of Rooney Rule without followingits spirit by allegedly interviewing young, inexperienced employees of color that already workfor their team before announcing new white hires.245 Others have been accused of conductingbrief phone interviews with minority candidates.246 A"

See: Brown, Thomas, Panthers OC

The exact point we were trying to make before being called racist by Ph
IF Thomas Brown got the same amount of time in an interview as every other candidate then what you posted has no bearing on his interview process

What this is talking about is interviewing the quality control assistant or doing a 1 hour interview when everyone else gets 4 hours

The rule is 100% broken. That's been the point we've been making the whole time. But Ph can't live in a world where critical thinking is necessary to find a solution. Is easier to just call people racist and move on.
Critical thinking would tell you Smith isn't saying the problem is the rule. He's saying the problem is the owners who will only hire white guys.

BTW, in my job when i hire someone i have to provide a write up as to why i am not interviewing a diverse candidate. And at least 2 of the people involved in the interview process have to be diverse employees.
The Rooney Rule isn't very different than what most multi-billion dollar organizations have in place.

That's not really close to the NFL, where owners/teams police themselves and no explanations are needed behind closed doors.

That's not really close to the NFL, where owners/teams police themselves and no explanations are needed behind closed doors.
Correct. That's the problem. The problem isn't having to interview a Black guy.

Correct. That's the problem. The problem isn't having to interview a Black guy.

Literally what we've said the whole fucking time. The problem is they can do it to check a box and move on. Exact same thing I've said from day one. Then you hop in and think you have to defend it, while knowing it's a fucked up system.

It doesn’t seem like SD3 is making a controversial point at all. He’s just saying that these teams aren’t genuinely interested in hiring these guys and is just doing the interview to satisfy the requirement. It…seems like that’s exactly what’s happening.

It doesn’t seem like SD3 is making a controversial point at all. He’s just saying that these teams aren’t genuinely interested in hiring these guys and is just doing the interview to satisfy the requirement. It…seems like that’s exactly what’s happening.

We all agree that’s happening because it is.

But SD3 thinks the problem is the rule. His solution is getting rid of the rule.

Look at his post.

Literally what we've said the whole fucking time. The problem is they can do it to check a box and move on. Exact same thing I've said from day one. Then you hop in and think you have to defend it, while knowing it's a fucked up system.

To him it’s “fucked up” the “system” requires owners to do the bare minimum to give everyone else a shot. Yes, I defend interviewing more than just white guys. Why do you defend the old system?

Last edited:
We all agree that’s happening because it is.

But SD3 thinks the problem is the rule. His solution is getting rid of the rule.

Look at his post.

To him it’s “fucked up” the “system” requires owners to do the bare minimum to give everyone else a shot. Yes, I defend interviewing more than just white guys. Why do you defend the old system?

Ph I really think you might just be dumb

You can be cynical some when you see tweets like this because Schefter never comes up with this analysis on his own. Clearly the team fed him that line. We know they want Harbaugh.

Back