• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 Carolina Panthers thread - HOF Julius Peppers

A lot of owners abide by the Rooney rule but they’re a fuck load of black coaches that don’t get a chance and white pathetic coaches find another shot. Reminds me how black QBs used to be viewed…old white money still rules ownership.

Making mandatory rules don’t really work, not sure how to fix. It’s like an exercise.

I started this thread on Jan 26 last year, so we may be less than a week from getting a new coach.

Derrick Brown named to the Pro Bowl as first alternate.

The Rooney rule is definitely a joke but it’s because of the folks hiring the coach. I thought Tepper was an extreme liberal coach and he hired Ruhle and Reich. The Reich one was the major disappointment to me. Wilks should have been hired and allowed to pick his staff. It seemed to me Tepper compensated by hiring coordinators of color while handicapping one of them.

Recently I have seen numerous white coaches vouching for black assistants. Hopefully there will be change soon but the Rooney rule is not working as intended. I am pulling hard for Pierce cause he is getting the chance that Wilks should have got.

The problem with the Rooney Rule now causing its ineffectiveness is the timing aspect. Teams zero in on a target coach and want that coach. If that coach is a white guy, then they find the first black guy they can find to check the Rooney Rule box so that they are allowed to hire their actual target before someone else does - see the Thomas Brown and David Shaw interviews above. Everyone knows those guys are not getting hired, so that is a complete circumvention of the intent of the rule, a giant waste of time, and gives the rule the perception of being a complete joke.

If there was a separate rule, which there should be for plenty of reasons not the least of which is to prevent teams from interviewing coaches who are actively preparing for playoff games, that said no team can hire a new head coach for the subsequent season between say December 1 and March 1, then it would take away the time crunch and teams would have the ability to conduct meaningful interviews. If a team has to wait 3 months before hiring someone anyway, then it eliminates the need to find the first black guy they can to check the box. Even if they have initially zeroed in on Harbaugh, if they can't hire him for a few months then there is no harm in taking plenty of time to interview other legitimate candidates.

New rule: at least one new coach hired each year must be a minority or a woman. So if there’s on my one vacancy they have to hire a minority or a woman. If there are ten vacancies and you’re dragging your feet, and all nine other teams hire white guys, you get Jim Caldwell or Michelle Tafoya. Also, you cannot interview over Zoom, Webbex, or Teams.

David Shaw is interviewing with the Chargers and the Titans. The dude went 14-28 over his last four seasons at Stanford, took 2023 off, and hasn’t coached in the NFL in 18 years. Surprised to hear he’s only 51 years old, but he’s not even in line for an NFL coordinator position right now.

And if the argument is that the Rooney rule benefits black coaches by giving them the opportunity to interview, even if it’s just a courtesy and they’re not going to get the job, then Shaw is getting in the way of guys who could actually benefit.

Can you imagine if Tepper came out and announced David Shaw as our next head coach ?

Last edited:
The Rooney rule is definitely a joke but it’s because of the folks hiring the coach. I thought Tepper was an extreme liberal coach and he hired Ruhle and Reich. The Reich one was the major disappointment to me. Wilks should have been hired and allowed to pick his staff. It seemed to me Tepper compensated by hiring coordinators of color while handicapping one of them.

Recently I have seen numerous white coaches vouching for black assistants. Hopefully there will be change soon but the Rooney rule is not working as intended. I am pulling hard for Pierce cause he is getting the chance that Wilks should have got.
I like Pierce but don't know how he's going to overcome Mark Davis with O'Connell at QB and not picking till 13. They'll probably do well enough to win 7-9 games and be in the same situation next year.

I like Pierce but don't know how he's going to overcome Mark Davis with O'Connell at QB and not picking till 13. They'll probably do well enough to win 7-9 games and be in the same situation next year.
You might be able to trade up…or even grab JJ McCarthy at 13. Plenty of football donks seem to like him

You might be able to trade up…or even grab JJ McCarthy at 13. Plenty of football donks seem to like him
He went through a couple games this year where it seemed they were scared to let him throw the ball. To my eyetest, I still like Nix and Penix better, though Penix has a bit of a strange throwing motion. Nix and Penix are also better runners. Two years ago, I would not have believed I'd be saying Nix is a 1st round talent.

Their stupid test got blown up by actual on-field performance and they’re trying to backtrack.

He went through a couple games this year where it seemed they were scared to let him throw the ball. To my eyetest, I still like Nix and Penix better, though Penix has a bit of a strange throwing motion. Nix and Penix are also better runners. Two years ago, I would not have believed I'd be saying Nix is a 1st round talent.
Have you seen Penix Video in reverse? His throwing motion is much cleaner as a righty. My concern with him is injury history and age.

Or they are telling the truth and it was flagged as invalid.

Then why is this information coming out now rather than right after the leak? Seems irresponsible to jeopardize his draft status by holding back that info until it hurts their business.

Then why is this information coming out now rather than right after the leak? Seems irresponsible to jeopardize his draft status by holding back that info until it hurts their business.
by not commenting publicly?
Of course they notified the teams of this. It wouldn’t have jeopardized anything…and clearly didn’t

Did they notify teams? We don’t know that.

windy taking the company man’s side again. like clockwork.

Did they notify teams? We don’t know that.
That’s the point of the test. They send results to the team. If they did flag the results as invalid it stands to reason they told the teams.

Now if you think the invalid flag is a lie so be it, but having an invalid flag and not telling the team just doesn’t make any sense

Back