• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 Carolina Panthers thread - HOF Julius Peppers

Bryce Young seems fine. The jury is out on him and will remain so. That said it remains discouraging to see Stroud just absolutely tearing it up while we're 1-10 and fired our coach

But SD3, do you agree with what guitar’s source said Tepper said? Do you think the CMC trade worked?

Reich has the shortest tenure as a head coach since 1978, and is the first to be fired mid season in back to back years.

Are the Panthers the first franchise to fire coaches midseason in back to back years?

why is it such a big deal for tepper to allow concerts at b of a? my first concert was seeing the rolling stones at b of a on the voodoo lounge tour

i know there were lots of concerts through the late 90s/early 2000s (and I moved out of the charlotte area after that, so not sure why they stopped)

In the CMC trade we got:
  • 1 of the 4 picks sent along with DJ Moore to get Bryce Young
  • #93 and #132 in 2023 that ended up getting packaged together to jump to #80 to get DJ Johnson
  • A 2024 5th
That trade looks a lot better if Bryce was having the year we expected and if our idiot GM didn't do what he did with the 3rd and 4th rounders
The CMC trade isn't bad just because everything we did after it was fucking idiotic.

if you had the CMC trade, bryce trade, and burns trade (two 1sts from the rams)... the best trade was the burns one!

The CMC trade isn't bad just because everything we did after it was fucking idiotic.
I'll go further than that. When Rhule was fired, the roster was fine except at QB. The roster wasn't good and certainly had holes, but it wasn't a dumpster fire. Yes, the rookie LT was struggling. Yes, they still had the worst TE situation in the league. Yes, the WR position behind DJ was underwhelming. But they could have just stuck with the same core and added through the draft and the franchise would have been in better shape than it is now.

But SD3, do you agree with what guitar’s source said Tepper said? Do you think the CMC trade worked?

Are the Panthers the first franchise to fire coaches midseason in back to back years?

Yes, the trade which netted a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th for CMC was a great trade. I'd argue it was the correct deal for both sides as well.

Completely aborting the pick process after that does not change the fact it was the right move at the time. We just botched the picks.

If tepper thinks the CMC trade worked out then he is even dumber than we think.
He doesn't think it necessarily worked out, but the move made sense. CMC stayed injured and was a RB and we needed players. We just completely blew the capital we got in that deal. And that's Fitterer

why is it such a big deal for tepper to allow concerts at b of a? my first concert was seeing the rolling stones at b of a on the voodoo lounge tour

i know there were lots of concerts through the late 90s/early 2000s (and I moved out of the charlotte area after that, so not sure why they stopped)
IIRC there were issues with the concert equipment destroying the field, which led to the pause in concerts at Ericcson Stadium.

I still think that not enough bad things can be said about the DJ Johnson trade.

A team that just drafted a QB #1 overall and had holes everywhere on the roster chose to give up a 4th round pick in order to move up 13 spots in the 3rd round. Then with the acquired pick they drafted a player who isn't even good enough to be on the gameday active roster. Johnson was known to be a project as a player, and we gave up draft capital to move up to acquire him and add him to a team that desperately needs holes filled. It's just an indefensibly stupid move.

He doesn't think it necessarily worked out, but the move made sense. CMC stayed injured and was a RB and we needed players. We just completely blew the capital we got in that deal. And that's Fitterer
I wanted us to trade CMC a year earlier actually. We traded him at his all time low unfortunetly, still the right move.

I still think that not enough bad things can be said about the DJ Johnson trade.

A team that just drafted a QB #1 overall and had holes everywhere on the roster chose to give up a 4th round pick in order to move up 13 spots in the 3rd round and draft a player who isn't even good enough to be on the gameday active roster. Johnson was known to be a project pick, and we gave up draft capital to move up to acquire him. It's just an indefensibly stupid move.
He most likely would have still been there 14 picks later as well. Fleeced.

I understand the logic behind the CMC trade but this is how it has worked out....we got draft picks which we then fucked around with. 49'ers got a player that is having an MVP caliber year and was great last year too. Part of trading for draft picks is then using the draft picks to pick good players. So no....the trade did not work out.

A team that just drafted a QB #1 overall and had holes everywhere on the roster chose to give up a 4th round pick in order to move up 13 spots in the 3rd round. Then with the acquired pick they drafted a player who isn't even good enough to be on the gameday active roster. Johnson was known to be a project as a player, and we gave up draft capital to move up to acquire him and add him to a team that desperately needs holes filled. It's just an indefensibly stupid move.
FWIW, the Panthers moved from pick #93 to #80 in this trade.

At pick #94, the Cardinals drafted WR Michael Wilson, who has 28 rec/435 yards/2 TDs. Mingo has 28 rec/286 yards/0 TDs

I'll go further than that. When Rhule was fired, the roster was fine except at QB. The roster wasn't good and certainly had holes, but it wasn't a dumpster fire. Yes, the rookie LT was struggling. Yes, they still had the worst TE situation in the league. Yes, the WR position behind DJ was underwhelming. But they could have just stuck with the same core and added through the draft and the franchise would have been in better shape than it is now.
If they had just kept Ruhle, the team would have sucked enough to draft a QB without trading up. Then we would have had a qb without mortgaging the future. That would have led us to this year, where Reich shat the bed. But at least we would have had our own picks to either (a) draft another QB; or (b) trade down for another #1 and then draft a tackle/WR.

Back