• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 Election Day

We finally have something we agree on; Pubs have indeed remained in power through fear and anti democratic ideas.
Can we also agree that the Dems have remained in power by good old fashion ineptitude? Not nearly as frightful but equally maddening.
No, I'm not going to agree with your dumb bullshit, sorry. The idea that dems are inept but Republicans aren't is silly. If you want to call both parties inept, fine, but Republicans have done literally no actual governing for years, and I guess that's maybe a feature and not a bug to some, but it's a lot easier to do nothing and complain than to actually get something done.

Last edited:
on a bright side, all 5 school board seats in the race i was working with were taken by the Dem candidates, defeating the Moms for Liberty squad

Same - our elections defeated the overt M4L endorsees as well as the suspected sleeper agent candidates running under a camouflage platform and registered unaffiliated (or even Dem)

Both sides suck in the same way that neither Jeff [Redacted] nor Steve Forbes have made the NCAA Tournament at Wake.

That doesn't mean they are equal in their sucktitude.

We finally have something we agree on; Pubs have indeed remained in power through fear and anti democratic ideas.
Can we also agree that the Dems have remained in power by good old fashion ineptitude? Not nearly as frightful but equally maddening.
But you still pine for a republican savior. I just don't understand why in the face of all the evidence you just say dems are inept.

and Sure. The dem leadership has been terrible for a long time. they arent remaining in power through ineptitude though. Its because they block any young viable candidate until they've "earned their shot." Spoiler alert you don't wait around for your shot. You have to claw it away from the gerontocracy of leadership.

Interesting that you admit, dems and their policies aren't scarey. Its a shame you keep looking for a republican to vote for. Habit, I guess?

Same - our elections defeated the overt M4L endorsees as well as the suspected sleeper agent candidates running under a camouflage platform and registered unaffiliated (or even Dem)

Although certainly a bit disappointing that a relatively high (though easily losing) vote total did go to one of those M4L candidates who was an 80 year old man who thinks the schools have gotten too woke. Couldn’t be more of a caricature.

on a bright side, all 5 school board seats in the race i was working with were taken by the Dem candidates, defeating the Moms for Liberty squad
Thats unpossible. Their moral silent majority is coming ! !

Although certainly a bit disappointing that a relatively high (though easily losing) vote total did go to one of those M4L candidates who was an 80 year old man who thinks the schools have gotten too woke. Couldn’t be more of a caricature.
Like an 80 yo anyone needs to be involved in a local school board.

I don't think you should be able to run for school board seats unless you have a vested interest (i.e. a kid/grandkid) in the school system. Won't weed out all the crazies, but will certainly weed out the crazies who take an interest in the school system and don't even have a kid there.

Yeah, youngkin's magat sweatervest mafia really f 'ed with Loudoun Co schools with people not even in the county.

I don't think you should be able to run for school board seats unless you have a vested interest (i.e. a kid/grandkid) in the school system. Won't weed out all the crazies, but will certainly weed out the crazies who take an interest in the school system and don't even have a kid there.

That’s a decision for the voters.

They should live in their country/district though.

Well yeah, but we have restrictions on who can run for House/Senate seats (in theory, although they are skirted). I agree that the voters could decide to implement this as a parameter, but I don't think it's outside reason to do so.

Everyone has a vested interest in a well educated populace. And taxation without representation isn’t something that goes over particularly well.

Two of my Dem friends got reelected to their city council positions. I have another younger Dem friend who is not on this cycle, but is mayor pro tempore. Our mayor, a Pub, is a Wake grad. He's not all bad. I expect my younger friend to vye for that office in a few years. Our small town is relatively progressive, thankfully. Quite the contrast to the Republican dominated county commission.

Well yeah, but we have restrictions on who can run for House/Senate seats (in theory, although they are skirted). I agree that the voters could decide to implement this as a parameter, but I don't think it's outside reason to do so.
Eh I think you'd run into a number of issues. Gay people not of means (so folks who can't afford a surrogate or adoption or can't get a donor for one reason or another) are out. Same for straight people who can't conceive. I also feel like there has to be some correlation between political leanings and the number of children you have. A mom for liberty is probably way more likely to pump out a dozen kids.

If you pay into the system you should be eligible to throw your hat into the ring. I don't think the problem is who's running, but rather who is not running for these seats.

Back