• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 Football Scholly Tracker | In: Roberts (A&T LB), Ganious (Nova DT), Merrill (Vols WR)

Clawson mentioned "all 22 seniors" would be being honored on Senior Day, although I only count 21 on the roster listed as either R-Sr., Sr. or R-Jr.

Perhaps he's including Garnes, who I think is actually in his fifth year due to a transfer year redshirt.

DT is even uglier than OL. Only Kevin Pointer and Justin Williams (listed in non-rotation) aren’t out of eligibility there.

We could potentially slide Bernard Gooden in there, though he would be very undersized even if he gains some good weight (273 at present), and it would hurt our depth as he’s slated to be our #3 DE. The true frosh + transfers will have to fill that spot - and we don’t typically like to play freshmen on the lines.
I am not sure what scheme Louisville runs, but they used 3 DL or a 3-4/3-3-5 setup.

NC State the same.

Maybe we switch back to 3 down linemen.

I am not sure what scheme Louisville runs, but they used 3 DL or a 3-4/3-3-5 setup.

NC State the same.

Maybe we switch back to 3 down linemen.
It’s possible, but that requires 3 big/good DL that can hold their own. Which, well….

And then it also puts another LB on the field. Which, well…

Hoping for good things at both spots in the transfer portal.

Clawson said on his show that Spencer Clapp is eligible to come back for his seventh year next year.

Clawson said on his show that Spencer Clapp is eligible to come back for his seventh year next year.

Looks like eligible due to an ACL injury years ago. Kinda strange it’s allowed, but sounds like Clapp will be back and finally get a chance to start.

Would be surprised if Jurgens returns but if he does we might not be in that awful shape with him, Clapp, Gordon and Sharpe.

21 seniors in the release -- the exception is Ja'Corey Johns, who's even in the graphic they're using but not the release. My understanding has always been this is a hellacious week for some staff with players who will or won't be "walking," so he probably thought early in the week he was and has already decided against it.

Scholarship players with eligibility remaining in Senior Night:

Hartman
Whiteheart
Bothroyd
Jurgens
A.T. Perry
Zach Ranson
Christian Turner
Coby Davis

I looked at the current (22) roster. Jurgens is the only guy on th 22 roster who is a junior of any flavor. Gordon and Elmonus are the only guys listed as rSoph. Pettibone is soph. With his injury, does he get a redshirt for 22?

The rest are either freshen or rFreshmen. These guys did not get the benefit of the free year in 2020 so they are truly young.

Looks like Wake will be starting at least one and probably two guys who will be entering their third year. And all backups will be guys with only one or two years of college. Need to hit the portal for some guys who can pass block.

I looked at the current (22) roster. Jurgens is the only guy on th 22 roster who is a junior of any flavor. Gordon and Elmonus are the only guys listed as rSoph. Pettibone is soph. With his injury, does he get a redshirt for 22?

The rest are either freshen or rFreshmen. These guys did not get the benefit of the free year in 2020 so they are truly young.

Looks like Wake will be starting at least one and probably two guys who will be entering their third year. And all backups will be guys with only one or two years of college. Need to hit the portal for some guys who can pass block.
Realize that you want to give O-lineman time to develop, but players who are entering their third year in the program, should be ready to contribute. While it's wonderful to have all 4th or 5th year players on the OL, it's OK to have a 2nd or 3rd year player there.

Last edited:
21 seniors in the release -- the exception is Ja'Corey Johns, who's even in the graphic they're using but not the release. My understanding has always been this is a hellacious week for some staff with players who will or won't be "walking," so he probably thought early in the week he was and has already decided against it.

Scholarship players with eligibility remaining in Senior Night:

Hartman
Whiteheart
Bothroyd
Jurgens
A.T. Perry
Zach Ranson
Christian Turner
Coby Davis

Thanks, pretty interesting given Clawson mentioned that all Seniors would be honored and not having any discussions about who is coming back until after the season is over to eliminate distractions.

Updating the original post with "likely returning" including the guys who aren't being honored.

ETA: Looks like Johns is mentioned in this article, maybe updated: https://godeacs.com/news/2022/11/18...-57-students-on-saturday-at-truist-field.aspx

Last edited:
Thanks, pretty interesting given Clawson mentioned that all Seniors would be honored and not having any discussions about who is coming back until after the season is over to eliminate distractions.

Updating the original post with "likely returning" including the guys who aren't being honored.

ETA: Looks like Johns is mentioned in this article, maybe updated: https://godeacs.com/news/2022/11/18...-57-students-on-saturday-at-truist-field.aspx
Interesting on Johns -- certainly seems like it's just chalked up to oversight that he was left off initial release. I can screenshot the email to prove I wasn't making shit up! haha.

I'm going to come in here and call Clawson a liar ... but some guys have already made up their minds about coming back, and the staff has already told them they want them back, and those are the ones who aren't going through ceremony tomorrow night. Guys like Taylor Morin, Chelen Garnes, Donavon Greene come to mind.

It's reason for optimism looking ahead to 2023 while also keeping in mind that there are bound to be some unanticipated departures, as has become the nature of college football.

I've got 19 scholarship guys being honored on Senior Day. With one current open scholarship and 18 commits, that would leave us two open scholarships.

My understanding has always been this is a hellacious week for some staff with players who will or won't be "walking”
Our players are taught to slow down decision making in the slow mesh :)

The status of "seniors" this year is one more probably unintended consequence of the 2020 season not counting for eligibility.

Clawson is smart to just acknowledge everybody who is in some sort of "senior" category and then sort out the "who will actually be playing for Wake in 2023?" later.

The status of "seniors" this year is one more probably unintended consequence of the 2020 season not counting for eligibility.

Clawson is smart to just acknowledge everybody who is in some sort of "senior" category and then sort out the "who will actually be playing for Wake in 2023?" later.

That’s not what is happening, though. Guys like Clapp, Garnes and Harris aren’t being honored. Ranson also is, but not guys in similar situations like Chaney, Kern, Elmonus.

Brendon Harris confirmed he’s coming back. Also Clawson mentioned Petitbon redshirting this year (along w Nick Andersen and every freshman except Grimes, Claiborne and Stevenson)

Back