• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 Football Scholly Tracker | In: Roberts (A&T LB), Ganious (Nova DT), Merrill (Vols WR)

Three years of P5 practices behind him and three years of eligibility. Now is a good time for G5 and FCS programs to get to some experienced talent.

Grippo was a walk-on.

IIRC, Williams was solid in the spring game but definitely behind Fields and Grimes in the pecking order.

was he one of the decent corners or no? I honestly can't keep them straight for some reason.

Was told to expect "a decent amount more" in the portal. Would hazard to guess Caelan Carson is one of them and that hurts a lot more than Holmes. The guys are chasing money pretty transparently if you follow them on twitter.

If you are an above average player, why wouldn’t you put your name in the portal to see how much $$$ you can get?

And yeah I get team, rah rah. Dudes are playing a violent sport and may have one chance to get paid.

was he one of the decent corners or no? I honestly can't keep them straight for some reason.
I not really somebody who pours over football tape and knows the sport exceedingly well, but he showed some natural ability and speed, was just mistake pone and had some costly throws targeting his side of the field. He's the kind of guy this program is built around developing into a solid player by the time he leaves campus, just had to see the field more than expected this year due to injuries. Not a good sign to lose him and I really wonder who is paying him as he wasn't particularly good this year.

If you are an above average player, why wouldn’t you put your name in the portal to see how much $$$ you can get?
Yea that's exactly what's going to happen. The real victims in all of this beyond it just ruining the sport for fans are high school recruits. Coaches would much rather spend a couple hundred grand signing a guy like Holmes off of Wake's roster than sign a high schooler and red shirt him and hope he develops. What will happen, and already has happened to mid majors in basketball, is schools like Wake become the minor leagues where high schoolers come here and if they prove themselves, they transfer up a level somewhere and get paid. High school recruitment is screwed and sooooo many kids that think they have a verbal commitment ready to sign in a couple weeks are about to find out they don't at the last minute due to this free agency market.

I am all for the players finding a way to get a piece of the pie. But, this is pure and unregulated ridiculousness. The NCAA has totally lost any sense of regulation over college sports. It's just the Wild West now. I'm sure my age is showing a bit, but I have waning interest in following college sports run in this way.

He looked like the worst P5 cornerback in the country the last 3-4 games. I think it was the state game where they just kept throwing on him over and over. And the announcers pointed out how it looked like they were scheming at him. I think Josh Downs had 10 rec for 150 yards on him also. But in my opinion, this might be addition by subtraction.

Did you guys see our secondary this year? Above average players I’m not sure

He looked like the worst P5 cornerback in the country the last 3-4 games. I think it was the state game where they just kept throwing on him over and over. And the announcers pointed out how it looked like they were scheming at him. I think Josh Downs had 10 rec for 150 yards on him also. But in my opinion, this might be addition by subtraction.

I was at both games in person. Which oddly makes it hard to know exactly what's going on sometimes.

I mean I know we struggled back there. But can we fill these transfers with something better?

I am all for the players finding a way to get a piece of the pie. But, this is pure and unregulated ridiculousness. The NCAA has totally lost any sense of regulation over college sports. It's just the Wild West now. I'm sure my age is showing a bit, but I have waning interest in following college sports run in this way.
Completely agree. is it really fun for folks if just who can buy the most talented team knowing the kids don’t care about the school, education or really the team. it’s no longer college sports but semi pro ball teams with some players not really getting paid and trying to manage team egos and related strife due to fact many get nearly nothing outside scholly. Coaching has got to be so much harder.

Getting to 5 wins next year might be a challenge. A bowl will be even more of a challenge. We have a complete unknown on the offensive line and defensive line, the two most important parts of a football team. It also seems like we might lose some significant pieces to the $$ portal. Would be shocked if we win more than one of FSU, State, Notre Dame, and Clemson. Would think we could drop at least two of VT, GT, Duke, and Pitt. We also have to go on the road to the Carrier Dome and to upset crazy Old Dominion. If the offensive line doesn’t somehow turn out to be at least decent we’ll be working hard to make a bowl game.

Back