• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 Football Scholly Tracker | In: Roberts (A&T LB), Ganious (Nova DT), Merrill (Vols WR)

If that’s a dig at my recent posts here on this forum, all I am trying to do is have a sensible and well-spirited dialogue about our current football team departures (transfer portal, graduation, or otherwise) as a way to get a sense of what next year’s team will look like, even though it’s early and a lot is TBD obviously. I’m a diehard Wake fan who wants nothing more than our team to have success. I’m sorry if BeachBum or others here take issue with that or don’t like hearing about it, but keep in mind this is a public message board where a variety of topics and viewpoints are freely posted and shared every day. If BeachBum can’t handle that, he/she is free to read and/or contribute to other threads. Carry on!

this is not a public message board.

keep it up and i will suspend your account.

We are all concerned about Wake Forest Football and how NIL and the transfer portal turnover will affect our roster, but that’s not an excuse for gleefully posting “another one” when a walk-on or redshirt senior tweets about leaving Wake. It’s also not helpful or popular to keep reposting the same multiple paragraph screed about how unfair NIL and pay for play is. We get it.

We are all concerned about Wake Forest Football and how NIL and the transfer portal turnover will affect our roster, but that’s not an excuse for gleefully posting “another one” when a walk-on or redshirt senior tweets about leaving Wake. It’s also not helpful or popular to keep reposting the same multiple paragraph screed about how unfair NIL and pay for play is. We get it.
I’m not gleefully posting anything… I hate when we lose good players like Hartman and Bothroyd who have done so much for Wake and Wake football the past several years, but wish the best for them.

I’ve also not posted anything about how unfair NIL and pay for play is…

Maybe you’re thinking of another poster?

I’m not gleefully posting anything… I hate when we lose good players like Hartman and Bothroyd who have done so much for Wake and Wake football the past several years, but wish the best for them.

I’ve also not posted anything about how unfair NIL and pay for play is…

Maybe you’re thinking of another poster?

I’m responding to a group of posters, yourself included.

I am going to get up on my soapbox and say we should go after Joe Heffernan as a transfer. LB from Dartmouth, 2 years of eligibility left, 96 tackles, and two FF last year. I have seen no indication that Wake is interested, but a plug-and-play LB 230 lb linebacker is the type of guy we should go after. There are not many other LB's with experience in the portal at the moment. I would love to get Taylor Upshaw out of Michigan, but I don't think that is a realistic ask.

Wake should have a healed up Eldrick Robinson for 23.

I am going to get up on my soapbox and say we should go after Joe Heffernan as a transfer. LB from Dartmouth, 2 years of eligibility left, 96 tackles, and two FF last year. I have seen no indication that Wake is interested, but a plug-and-play LB 230 lb linebacker is the type of guy we should go after. There are not many other LB's with experience in the portal at the moment. I would love to get Taylor Upshaw out of Michigan, but I don't think that is a realistic ask.
LB from NC A&T is visiting Wake today

Neither imo. I just suspect that the NIL money out there for a decent grad transfer is not anywhere near what people are perceiving. I seriously doubt that he'd get a six-figure deal or that there's any real bidding war for his services. I thank Hartman will get more than that, but I'm very skeptical that he will be getting millions of dollars.

Neither imo. I just suspect that the NIL money out there for a decent grad transfer is not anywhere near what people are perceiving. I seriously doubt that he'd get a six-figure deal or that there's any real bidding war for his services. I thank Hartman will get more than that, but I'm very skeptical that he will be getting millions of dollars.
You’re correct based on quotes from actual players. They might get six figures but the millions stuff is not happening.

Is the whole $5 million NIL hype propaganda from agents and/or people trying to foment anger among people who don’t want players to get paid?

Is the whole $5 million NIL hype propaganda from agents and/or people trying to foment anger among people who don’t want players to get paid?
It seems to be primarily be from coaches accusing other programs. Likely trying to save their own asses by claiming they just don’t have the resources.

Makes sense. While trying to extort their big donors for more money.

He is not going to get paid well. You're overstating this.

The number to be "well paid" for a year of college football may not be the same for you and me. If he is getting high five figures or more, that is well paid for a guy just finishing college.

NFL 1st and 2nd year practice squad players get $11,500 per week. So $207K for the season.

The number to be "well paid" for a year of college football may not be the same for you and me. If he is getting high five figures or more, that is well paid for a guy just finishing college.

NFL 1st and 2nd year practice squad players get $11,500 per week. So $207K for the season.

If Hartman or Bothroyd can get $75K to $100K play football for another year, which is a full time job with great risk of injury, and it puts him in a better position to get drafted and make money as an NFL player, that's great. But it's not like they're securing their future or giving back to their families. That's bachelor's degree analyst money for guys who will turn 23 or 24 years old to start the season.

Back