• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 Masters Thread

LIV does have some good players. Most are not, however. And it is a terrible product. The best evidence that it is a terrible product is that no one watches. Why? Because it gives them no reason to watch. Shotgun starts, 54 holes, no cut, lower quality golf, seldom dramatic. This is the point, and the fact that three LIV players played well at the Masters only furthers that point. Plus, that Phil has not scored a point or broken 75 (or whatever) on LIV this year but finished second at the Masters demonstrates just how much he cares about LIV events - not at all.

How dare you question Phil’s dedication to LIV? The HyFlyers are more than their cheesy LIV team name, they are a brotherhood forged in blood (money). You fuck with the HyFlyers and you’re gonna get some hands chopped.

LIV is just as irrelevant and doomed to failure today as it was a week ago.

For all but the already exempt, this was the last masters for most LIV players unless they get OWGR points for their own events.

Totally a situation of the players own making, removing themselves from competitive tours that earn points.

LIV had 4 players in the top 40.
Koepka/Mickelson T2
Reed T4
Niemann T16
Varner T29
Smith T34
Gooch T34
Ancer T39

There are plenty of reasons to hate on LIV, but I'd bet Norman is pretty happy with this showing.

Koepka/Mickelson T2
Reed T4
Niemann T16
Varner T29
Smith T34
Gooch T34
Ancer T39

There are plenty of reasons to hate on LIV, but I'd bet Norman is pretty happy with this showing.
He might be pretty happy, but it doesn't really change anything. I'm sure after sniffing another major, Brooks is really going to be up for the next LIV event. With the no cut, shotgun starts and all the partying, LIV seems to be nothing, but a guys golf weekend.

Dang, Zalatoris to miss the rest of the golf season after undergoing back surgery over the weekend, that stinks. Hope he comes back stronger than ever in the fall.

LIV is just as irrelevant and doomed to failure today as it was a week ago.

For all but the already exempt, this was the last masters for most LIV players unless they get OWGR points for their own events.

Totally a situation of the players own making, removing themselves from competitive tours that earn points.
Yep hope they had fun!

Will Z out for the year after back surgery.

😔

Thought it was interesting that Koepka did not wear the team uniforms at Augusta like the other LIV entrants. At the press conference, Koepka went out of his way to reject that his 2nd place showing at the Masters should be interpreted as a positive for LIV. Reading between the lines, Koepka knows the LIV tour is a joke. If there was a bet available on the first LIV player to try to return to the PGAT, the favorite would be Koepka.

I agree. His exemptions for the Masters and Open championship run out after next year. He is not going to want to risk missing any more of them.

I thought it was interesting that he said he didn't know if he'd make the same decision to go to the LIV if he had been 100% healthy. Agreed that other than a few guys who went to the LIV and don't have guaranteed spots, he will be the first to try and come back.

And there's no question about "if" it's a matter of "when" these guys seek to come back. They fucked around and now they're finding out. The LIV is a total joke with no drama and as Varner correctly called it, was just guys looking to get paid - there's nothing deeper about it than that.

Koepka/Mickelson T2
Reed T4
Niemann T16
Varner T29
Smith T34
Gooch T34
Ancer T39

I think I counted 8 of 18 made the cut, not really impressive considering most of those guys are top 50. But 3 in the top 6 was impressive. I wasn't at all surprised at Koepka and Reed contending, but I gotta admit Phil was a surprise. That said, Koepka really shat the bed yesterday after dominating the 1st 2 rounds. He was such a good closer from 2017-19. That said, I was impressed at how he handled himself in his presser afterwards. And 1 reporter asked him about the slow play. I'm guessing he's not a Cantlay fan. Nor am I.

This tournament reminded me of the US Open that Glover won at Bethpage with the late/early wave having such an advantage over the guys with the early/late draw. I think at Bethpage Tiger was the only 1 in the top 10 in the bad wave. I was really impressed that Rahm, Spieth and Young did as well as they did considering they had a 3-4 shot disadvantage from their draw. That Saturday a.m. weather was brutal - it looked like they were playing with the old 100 compression balata balls. And I was thrilled Rahm won over the LIV guys. It's remarkable that he's the 1st Euro to win a US Open and a Masters.

Thought it was interesting that Koepka did not wear the team uniforms at Augusta like the other LIV entrants. At the press conference, Koepka went out of his way to reject that his 2nd place showing at the Masters should be interpreted as a positive for LIV. Reading between the lines, Koepka knows the LIV tour is a joke. If there was a bet available on the first LIV player to try to return to the PGAT, the favorite would be Koepka.
Shipnuck had a tweet explaining this over the weekend....if a LIV guy is in the middle of an apparel contract, they are permitted to continue honoring that contract and wear that company's gear at any event (LIV or otherwise....I think someone said Brooks wears NIKE at LIV events as well). However, since most of these guys have been dropped by their apparel sponsors (DJ-Adidas, Phil-Callaway), or had their contracts end, then that is when they are required to wear the LIV team gear.

For Will, I'm assuming that missing the rest of the season means he'll miss the Ryder Cup too. As of today he's ranked 4th and guaranteed a spot, but he'd probably drop from the guaranteed spots anyway since he's out for the year. Would have been cool for both him and Cam to make the Ryder Cup squad.

I thought it was interesting that he said he didn't know if he'd make the same decision to go to the LIV if he had been 100% healthy. Agreed that other than a few guys who went to the LIV and don't have guaranteed spots, he will be the first to try and come back.

And there's no question about "if" it's a matter of "when" these guys seek to come back. They fucked around and now they're finding out. The LIV is a total joke with no drama and as Varner correctly called it, was just guys looking to get paid - there's nothing deeper about it than that.
I think this matches up with what Brooks was kind of saying during his Full Swing episode, i.e. being anxious and depressed about maybe being washed.

Back