• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 Masters Thread

I just enjoy DR phrasing that in such a way that it makes it sound like Brooks Koepka is telling him these things personally.
Brooks does live a mile or so from me during the Winter season. He is a good fella and I very much enjoy rooting for him and consider him a friend. I play way more golf with his dad and brother, mainly because Brooks doesn't really play golf or like it. Which is another of the many reasons LIV was such a no brainer for him.

Brooks does live a mile or so from me during the Winter season. He is a good fella and I very much enjoy rooting for him and consider him a friend. I play way more golf with his dad and brother, mainly because Brooks doesn't really play golf or like it. Which is another of the many reasons LIV was such a no brainer for him.
But what about his mom?

Doubt it, Brooks doesn't consider many folks friends, including Jena. Brooks is Brooks. He is fun and competitive in anything. I wouldn't really trust anyone if I was him either, except his Dad.

I have no problem with guys leaving the PGA for the $$. I'd guess many of us on this board would be school principals, public defenders or medical missionaries instead of biz execs/trial lawyers/surgeons were it only about the "public good". But the difference is that I assume most if not all of us, while perhaps in it for the $$ at some level, aren't working under the nefarious ownership or questionable ethics that LIV represents.

I don't think the Saudis are really depending on LIV to be profitable. If there was a business that could operate on a loss for a while, this would probably be it.
But they're bound to be disappointed once it's plain as day that no one watches it. They're also sponsoring Formula 1 racing, and that's doing fine. Once they realize Phil and Greg pulled 1 over on them, they'll lose interest. I see it having a 3-5 year shelf life.

DownEast, while I agree with you as a general proposition, I think we'd both care if the Saudis or Russian oligarchs started a rival flag football league and raided NFL rosters by paying them twice what NFL teams were paying.

Some of the money? My brother, those LIV contracts state if these guys leave, they have to payback 3 or 4 times what they were paid to join. So a guy like DJ who has made $75 mill on the tour, and signed a contract with LIV paying him $150 mill, would have to pay back either $450 or $600 mill to leave.

They are LIV golfers until that thing falls apart.
Interesting, just seeing that reported. Not what I had heard from someone who would know, but it may vary by player. That would be far too much for any of those guys to pay back.

As to LIV falling apart, I don't know if that solves it. The investment fund or whatever entity it is will not go away when LIV dies, so I wonder the ramifications for those players if and when that happens.

Interesting, just seeing that reported. Not what I had heard from someone who would know, but it may vary by player. That would be far too much for any of those guys to pay back.

As to LIV falling apart, I don't know if that solves it. The investment fund or whatever entity it is will not go away when LIV dies, so I wonder the ramifications for those players if and when that happens.
I think what happens when LIV ends, is players will be suspended for a period of time from the PGA tour and will have to re-qualify to get back on after serving their suspensions. I think the DP would love to have some of those guys back and their fines/suspensions won't be as severe as the PGA's. A lot of the Euros and South Africans would probably have no interest in getting back on the PGA tour at that stage of their careers and will just do the DP. And I'm guessing most Americans will use the DP to get their ranking points back up to get back on the PGA tour rather than go the Korn Ferry route. That was the route Koepka and Kitayama chose.

I think what happens when LIV ends, is players will be suspended for a period of time from the PGA tour and will have to re-qualify to get back on after serving their suspensions. I think the DP would love to have some of those guys back and their fines/suspensions won't be as severe as the PGA's. A lot of the Euros and South Africans would probably have no interest in getting back on the PGA tour at that stage of their careers and will just do the DP. And I'm guessing most Americans will use the DP to get their ranking points back up to get back on the PGA tour rather than go the Korn Ferry route. That was the route Koepka and Kitayama chose.
And if you end up correct what a horrid disaster for those players who did not take the money. Harold Varner and his family will always have enough money no matter what happens. The reality for players like Xander or Cantlay is that they will have to keep playing well or they will only have the money for their generation and not the next.

I think Xander and Cantlay's next generation will be doing just fine. They've already made $33 and $35 million in career earnings which doesn't include any sponsorships.

But they're bound to be disappointed once it's plain as day that no one watches it. They're also sponsoring Formula 1 racing, and that's doing fine. Once they realize Phil and Greg pulled 1 over on them, they'll lose interest. I see it having a 3-5 year shelf life.

DownEast, while I agree with you as a general proposition, I think we'd both care if the Saudis or Russian oligarchs started a rival flag football league and raided NFL rosters by paying them twice what NFL teams were paying.
Which was exactly my point: while I'd miss the NFL guys on Sunday, I'd have no problem with them leaving for a flag football league if it would double their earnings 100% defensible strictly from an economics view. But if the source of that $$ was nefarious like LIV, that's where my criticism comes from, not the fact that they no longer want to ply their trade at the highest competitive level..

I think Xander and Cantlay's next generation will be doing just fine. They've already made $33 and $35 million in career earnings which doesn't include any sponsorships.
Which after taxes and heft expenses of a PGA pro just isn't very much money. The next generation will be left with a pittance. And they will screw that up too as they were reared in the shackles of wealth.

Of course, if either keeps playing well for the next 10 years, there will be no problems at all. But if they turn into a Will Zalatoris back situation, rest assured no one will be helping. There earnings are not guaranteed--unlike Koepkas.

The idea that $30-35MM in earnings (with plenty more to come) isn’t generational wealth is so comical.

Especially coming from someone who will never touch a fraction of that amount.

Back