• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 Masters Thread

And if you end up correct what a horrid disaster for those players who did not take the money. Harold Varner and his family will always have enough money no matter what happens. The reality for players like Xander or Cantlay is that they will have to keep playing well or they will only have the money for their generation and not the next.
Harold Varner has never sniffed the top 10 of a major. He has also never won a PGA Tour event. Good for him, and I totally understand his decision from a financial standpoint. It was a no-brainer as far as I know. But, I hope his guaranteed payments do not depend on the quality of his play or his health, or he will suffer the same fate of Xander and Cantlay if they do not play well. Those guys will make stupid money if they keep playing at their current level, even if it is not "multi-generational wealth" or whatever you consider that to be.

Another good thing for those who stayed on the PGA Tour is that even if they lose their game or their health, they may not earn a whole lot but they also not likely get sawed up and stuffed in a duffel bag. So they've got that going for them, which is nice. Hopefully the LIV guys have that security too, but you never know. . .

Last edited:
Truthfully your last point is a real one and the only reason I understood folks turning down LIV.

There is a 2% chance or so Mickelson gets killed. And for him, that seemed like a risk. Guess he owed the books too much.

And if you end up correct what a horrid disaster for those players who did not take the money. Harold Varner and his family will always have enough money no matter what happens. The reality for players like Xander or Cantlay is that they will have to keep playing well or they will only have the money for their generation and not the next.
Not sure Cantlay is a candidate for LIV anymore after his 6.5 round this past Sunday....these guys have to finish up their shotgun start rounds and get home to spend time with their families! (after their 20 hour flight home from Australia).

I wouldn't have bet on flipping the "on" switch after a year out of top competition.

If anyone had Phil, Brooks, and Reed finishing top-5 on their Bingo card, then let it be known now. I think it's fair to say that's a shocking result. Especially since DJ and Cam Smith were non-factors.
Phil has won 3 Masters, Reed has won 1 and Keopka has played well at Augusta. This is a course for horses. Phil was a big surprise because he has played like crap in the LIV member guests. Otherwise, not a big surprise. LIV has top talent but no depth.

I cashed top 5 tickets on all 3. Also lost top 5 bets on Gooch and Pieters. Betting the LIV players paid off big as the public left them longshots.

Brooks is quite happy with his decision to take the $150 million. He was fine if it meant no more majors. But it turns out you folks were wrong and he gets to play in every major. He’s excited about that too and equally thankful he no longer has to play the trash PGA events.
Like Greensboro?

Love Greensboro john but spent 82 nights here last year. The world is a different place than your era. Folks don’t live anywhere.

I go south in winter and north in summer. Life is too short not to be in 80 degree weather.

Love Greensboro john but spent 82 nights here last year. The world is a different place than your era. Folks don’t live anywhere.

I go south in winter and north in summer. Life is too short not to be in 80 degree weather.
You are the only one. Greensboro fucking blows.

Gate City Blvd has gone to shit, that’s for sure. Sedgefield probably needs to become a gated community. I can remember a time when 4 Seasons Mall and Hanes Mall were among the biggest and best malls in NC. At least Hanes Mall is still open.

Back