• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 MLB Thread -- World Champion Rangers - Hot Stove Warming Up - Soto to the Yanks - Ohtani's destination unknown

True, but it's not like the Nats didn't vet the issue or that insurance was readily available.

The insurers knew that Strasburg had a lot of miles on his arm, and an injury history, including TJ surgery. So, the word is that the cost of the insurance was close to 40% of the contract amount, and included all sorts of outs for the insurance company. Even though Strasburg threw few innings, he did pitch in 2020, 2021 and 2022; so, who knows what the insurance company would claim the amount that should be paid to the Nats. Also, with Strasburg retiring with years left on the contract, there may be a settlement reducing the amount to be paid over the final years of the deal. Not sure insurance would have put the Nats in that much of a better position given the cost and that Strasburg has retired.

Bottom line is that it was a terrible contract to a pitcher with a fragile arm, and an injury history. Even so, the Nats would have never won the W-S without him, he was the MVP, and they rewarded him for past performance rather than paying Stras on expected future results.
Just to touch on one thing you said, I read that the entire value of the contract will be paid out. Of course, who knows if that’s accurate.

Just to touch on one thing you said, I read that the entire value of the contract will be paid out. Of course, who knows if that’s accurate.
Perhaps some or all of that remaining money is converted into a long term annuity. Washington has done that before.

Another late loss for the Rangers, Texas has completely collapsed:

Rangers lost?

mariners-baseball.gif

Stephen Strasburg is retiring.... Perhaps, the most heralded pitcher to come out of college (Paul Skenes might be #2). At times, unhittable, but oft injured. MVP of the 2019 W-S....

Not that anyone will care, but the first time I saw this kid throw I thought that someone needs to teach him how to pitch.

The ball went so far behind his back on his windup that the stress on the delivery looked like something would have to blow.

Never having pitched for real, I wasn't sure whether it would be the elbow or the shoulder, but something had to go.

However, while it all held together, he was fucking awesome.

Last edited:
Angels, what is you doin baby?

They just waived Giolitto, Matt Moore, Reynaldo Lopez, Hunter Renfroe and Randal Grichuk.

Did the Chi-sox just completely pants them on that trade?!?!? The Angels sent “top prospects” Edgar Quero and Ky Bush to Chicago for Giolitto and Lopez.

Last edited:
Angels, what is you doin baby?

They just waived Giolitto, Matt Moore, Reynaldo Lopez, Hunter Renfroe and Randal Grichuk.

Did the Chi-sox just completely pants them on that trade?!?!? It sent “top prospects” Edgar Quero and Ky Bush to LA for Giolitto and Lopez.
Wtf

Some other interesting names on waivers such as Bader, Carrasco, and Clevenger.

Going all in at the trade deadline and then straight salary dumping a few weeks later is…….. a choice
Yankees did nothing and are now trying to drop folks for far less than they would’ve gotten. Also a bad choice.

Explanation for the Angles moves from ESPN

If all six Angels players are claimed, the team stands to save around $7 million in salary over the season's final month -- enough, perhaps, to push its payroll beneath the $233 million competitive-balance-tax threshold.

Explanation for the Angles moves from ESPN

If all six Angels players are claimed, the team stands to save around $7 million in salary over the season's final month -- enough, perhaps, to push its payroll beneath the $233 million competitive-balance-tax threshold.
Also could have done that by selling at the deadline

I love how Angels are basically a fantasy team at this point.

Let’s dump half our lineup into waivers cause we suck…

Went to Dash game today, and they had a graphic with the White Sox teams... holy shit are they poverty

White Sox: 52-80
Triple-A Charlotte: 46-80
Double-A Birmingham: 45-75
High-A Winston-Salem: 57-58
Low-A Kannapolis: 61-58

And all of them lost today, so add a loss to each of those records.

It’s a shame too bc that young White Sox lineup had some very exciting potential before last year. So much talent, but the locker room has apparently been pretty cancerous.

Last edited:
Everybody should make the Mariners their 1st or 2nd team.

Rev Run is on board, after all...

Back