• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 MLB Thread -- World Champion Rangers - Hot Stove Warming Up - Soto to the Yanks - Ohtani's destination unknown

IDK, I get his point...I know he's under no obligation to do anything, but the he and the MLB could have used this to drum up support and hype around the country.

He's obviously going to get hype when he signs for the Dodgers....err....whoever he signs for, but it's gonna feel weird when fans in Seattle and Anaheim and San Francisco and Toronto and whoever else is wooing him are sitting there wondering why their team didn't pull out all the stops to get the guy that's going to get the largest contract in professional sports history (outside of international soccer stars like Cristiano going to Saudi Arabia)

I mean, look what "The Decision" did for LeBron and all of the teams chasing him.

I know it wouldn't be as self-serving and obnoxious as that, but it would be cool to see him visiting teams and stuff.

But again, I'm on of those shitty fans, so I'm probably wrong.

So much self-loathing

Holy hell
-------------------

Btw, Pickle, you're a good dude. Keep being you, man. It's all good.

Last edited:
They can have him; as others have said, anyone who pays him $500M+ is nuts.
Great ball player but when was the first/last time he has played, performed or pitched in a huge game. Not to mention he and his Camp are loons.
He hasn’t played in games of significance because he’s been on the Angels…

They can have him; as others have said, anyone who pays him $500M+ is nuts.
Great ball player but when was the first/last time he has played, performed or pitched in a huge game. Not to mention he and his Camp are loons.
Objectively this is a horrible take.
The value of 1 WAR in baseball is >$8.5M in 2022, according to fangraphs. Ohtani was worth 10 WAR last year meaning he was worth >$85M. If he AVERAGES 5.8 WAR over the next 10 years, at $500M he will have been a STEAL as the dollar value of WAR would likely increase each year.

And by loons you mean what? Not American? Please define how they are "Loons"

The value of 1 WAR in baseball is >$8.5M in 2022, according to fangraphs. Ohtani was worth 10 WAR last year meaning he was worth >$85M. If he AVERAGES 5.8 WAR over the next 10 years, at $500M he will have been a STEAL as the dollar value of WAR would likely increase each year.

How much of his WAR was from pitching? If I was a GM I’d probably be offering based almost solely on hitting.

AND, Ohtani is not just an on-the-field decision. You can probably count on making most of that contract back via marketing, viewership, etc.

Oh stop Windy. His ethnicity has nothing to do with shit. By loons I mean secretive, unreasonably so. Study his whole free agency process; absurd. He may earn his dollars on the field but he acts like a recluse and acts far from a team player. Just leaves his Team in September. Weak. Ohtani may be a generational talent but he acts like he’s crowned the GOAT before he comes close to proving it.

Oh stop Windy. His ethnicity has nothing to do with shit. By loons I mean secretive, unreasonably so. Study his whole free agency process; absurd. He may earn his dollars on the field but he acts like a recluse and acts far from a team player. Just leaves his Team in September. Weak. Ohtani may be a generational talent but he acts like he’s crowned the GOAT before he comes close to proving it.
Excited about Alex Verdugo, are we?

Or maybe he comes from a different culture and doesn’t play the American games with media

So very Japanese in their negotiations.
Non-english speaker thousands of miles from home in America acts like a recluse
Left the team becaue he wasn't going to play another game due to injury...

So you'd rather have him be around the team when injured, letting negotiations leak and go out drinking with his teammates all night.

But NOTHING of this has to do with his nationality. Got it... Just because you may not mean it maliciously doesn't mean it's not about his nationality

So basically "he don't look like me, he don't talk like me, he don't act like me so he ain't for me"

Go back to your neanderthal baseball cave

Wow Windy; harsh. And full of hate. Take it somewhere else and stick to baseball.
Say what you will but I’m not alone in thinking that Ohtani and his team handled free agency as bad as you could. Ask poor Dave Robert’s. And it’s been mentioned that in order to recoup his investment he’d have perform as much off the field, very important in todays game. He is more than entitled to be secretive, even a recluse if he chooses to be. But back to my original thought, I wouldn’t invest $500M + and 30% of my payroll in him; not good strong enough track record on the field; marginal marketing sense off the field.

If I was Shohei Ohtani, I would not give a single shit what anyone thinks about my process for choosing the MLB team that is going to pay me $500M+ and that I'm going to play for for the next 7+ years. He doesn't owe it to a single one of you to make your first week of December slightly more exciting by fueling rumors about where he's going to sign.

And blaming the players for the MLB's inability to effectively market its superstars is ridiculous. That's not the players' responsibility or problem, and it certainly shouldn't be at the forefront of Shohei's mind as he makes a monumental decision for his own life.

Back