• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 Pit Fantasy Football League - THE PLAYOFFS ARE SET

WEEK 10 RECAP

giphy.gif

WEEK 10 STATS

Week 10 Scores.jpg Week 10 Stats.jpg

WEEK 10 NOTES
  • Au revoir, mako. mako became the first official team to be eliminated from playoff contention with his loss against @Ghostsurfer last week. Candidates to join mako this week: Ghost, Mrs. @iodeac, myself. Candidates to be all but gone this week: @BarcaDeac and @OblongPickle.​
  • Tough luck to both @DeaconPeach and @iodeac who both missed out on a chance to officially secure a playoff spot with their losses in Week 10. Both still have the chance to clinch this week without trouble.​
  • @DeacDiggler still sucks.​
WEEK 11 PREVIEW

@DeacHawk (6-4) vs. Peach (8-2)

A massive win for DeacHawk last week keeps him on the right side of the line for another week, but only just. His playoff hopes continue to sit on a razor's edge, and a matchup with Peach this week doesn't provide any relief. Peach still sits comfortably in the playoff field, but each week that goes by without officially clinching a spot will hurt.

@Satan (5-5) vs. @PhDeac (5-5)

Two teams next to each other in the scoring charts and the Kitchin Division standings know that they are rapidly approaching last chance saloon this season. Catching both Peach and @WakeForest Fan in the standings seems a far cry, so they need wins quickly and they need help elsewhere as they both stand outside the playoff picture. It's not quite a loser goes home game, but it's damn near close.

@JamesSokolove (6-4) vs @redwing42 (5-5)

Another not-quite loser goes home matchup shows up in the Taylor Division. redwing finds himself dead last in the division despite his .500 record, and his place in the lower reaches of the scoring charts means tiebreakers are not his friend. He needs to pretty much win out and hope at this point, especially against a divisional opponent with much better tiebreakers than his own. Edarem owns one of those coveted wildcard spots as of today, but with two other Taylor division teams tied on record, he needs this win to gain some breathing room.

Best of luck to all in Week 11. Like I said above, big Thanksgiving recap coming next week!

I think the last playoff spot should be reserved for the team with the most points who doesn't make it - especially in a 20 team league like this where divisions are high variance

I think the last playoff spot should be reserved for the team with the most points who doesn't make it - especially in a 20 team league like this where divisions are high variance
Probably would be a reasonable change. 4 division winners and 3 wild cards based on record, with the last wild card being the top point scorer of the remaining 13 teams.

The whole point of H2H is to be consistently good from week to week. Using top score as a wild card spot doesn't match the purpose. Top score as tiebreaker for the last spot is sufficient.

I'd think that could become problematic with the current seeding structure. Also could bump someone into the playoffs who scored well early on but suffered injuries that make the team noncompetitive come playoffs

I'd think that could become problematic with the current seeding structure. Also could bump someone into the playoffs who scored well early on but suffered injuries that make the team noncompetitive come playoffs
Right. We could end up with a 7-7 team getting in over multiple 9-5 teams.

I mean you have no control whatsoever over how many points a team scores against you. There is no "defense." You could be consistently good each week and still have a bad head to head record.

I mean you have no control whatsoever over how many points a team scores against you. There is no "defense." You could be consistently good each week and still have a bad head to head record.

So then don’t do a head to head league. Just do season long points.

Lol I mean I've never even heard of that in fantasy football. I'm sure it exists though.

I’ve never heard of making the playoffs due to season long points ahead of teams with better head to head records. We’re discussing fantasy formats that don’t exist.

Right. We could end up with a 7-7 team getting in over multiple 9-5 teams.
You’re suggesting that the 8th and 9th best teams in this league could be 9-5? I’m not even sure that’s possible, and if it is it’s certainly very unlikely.

The scenario I’m thinking of is a big tie at 7-7 on the playiff bubble while there is a 6-8 team that outscored all the 7-7 teams. I don’t think it’s unreasonable that the 6-8 team should get the 8 seed

That’s the scenario you’re thinking of. That’s not necessarily the scenario that will happen. It’s just as likely or more likely that the 2 or 3 teams tied for the 8th best record will get jumped by the 11th team with the 8th highest point total.

Either way, making total points the tiebreaker alleviates reasonable fairness concerns while keeping it a weekly head to head contest.

In some leagues, you play two "games" per week, one against your scheduled opponent and one against the league median. So if you have a great score and win your match-up, you go 2-0. Great score but you lose a hard-luck match-up, you go 1-1. Bad score, win an easy match-up, 1-1. Bad score and lose match-up, 0-2.

I like that because it rewards consistency and takes some of the randomness out of it. Also because I might miss the playoffs with an incredible team that's leading the league in points by a mile and would be 10-1 against the freaking median, but is 6-5 because everyone goes HAM against me.

The problem with that set up is almost every great performance hurts your fantasy team. Rooting against every good player in the NFL for fantasy purposes takes the fun out of the games.

My first NBA fantasy leagues were season long rotisserie leagues, every team gets 820 games. It’s a great format, perhaps the purest format for a fantasy league. But it would suck if like Jason Kidd had 20 assists and you couldn’t just appreciate it without checking the standings to see you dropped from 6th to 7th in assists.

I prefer just rooting against a few guys one week and that’s it.

WEEK 11 RECAP

giphy.gif

WEEK 11 SCORES

Week 11 Scores.jpg

THANKSGIVING RECAP

'Tis the season to reflect on the year and give thanks to that and those that are near and dear, and so with that in mind, I will provide everyone with something they should be thankful for in this 2023 fantasy season:
  • @Sleepy: Sleepy is extremely thankful that the season is 14 weeks long and not 3 weeks. Wallowing at the bottom of the division and with a season-low point total in Week 3, it was easy to think that this wasn't going to be a fun year for Sleepy. Then everything clicked and off he went, reeling off 6 straight wins and taking over top overall by a wide margin. Sitting at 7-4 and leading the Poteat division, Sleepy is in a great spot to take home his first ever Pit League podium. Honorable thankful mention: the Washington Commanders offense.​

• @DeaconPeach: Peach is most thankful that I have no fucking idea what I'm talking about. While I correctly pegged Tyreek Hill to be the one true star on her team, it seems that the rest of her squad has made it their mission to prove that my worries that no one else would be able to carry Tyreek's water was wildly off the mark. Two top-10 RBs, a top-10 TE, and an additional top-20 WR shows that my player judgements would best kept to myself in the future.​

• @TripleDeacon: Triple is super thankful that the tiebreaker method for playoff seeding was updated to points instead of head-to-head. With an even worse start than Sleepy at 0-4, Triple had to think his season was all but over. And then Dallas turned on the jets and propelled him to a crazy season comeback all the way to his first winning record of the year at 6-5. There still is a long way to go as the logjam for the last wildcard spot is still around 8 teams deep, but because of the new tiebreaker rules, as of today Triple is in the field with a 7 seed.​

• @WakeForest Fan: The Fighting Cocks of Appalachia are very thankful for the scheduling gods. In a 20-team league, there is always quite a bit of randomness that comes into play: where your draft spot ends up, how the divisions last year impact the divisions this year, and therefore how the schedule ultimately pans out. In this regard, the Cocks are thankful that their most difficult opponents were mostly frontloaded and the home stretch to the playoffs opened up nicely. Games against Ghost, Pickle, and mako back-to-back-to-back the last 3 weeks has juiced his record up to almost confirm the top wildcard spot, and remaining games against myself and Wolf to close out the season should help ease any late-season stress on the Cocks.​

• @iodeac: Mr. I/O is very thankful to the scheduling gods as well, but for the opposite reason as the Cocks. I/O was able to bank half a season's worth of wins up front to take a commanding lead in the Taylor Division, easily the most competitive division on the season. He has held everyone else at arm's length in the ensuing weeks, and now just needs one win from three games to all but confirm his divisional title.​

• @Satan: Satan is most thankful for the draft RNGods. The first pick in the draft is always coveted, it feels good to know you can pick any player you want to start your team. But arguably, Satan had the best slot possible as it allowed him to take CMC at 2 and Herbert at 39, the backbone of his team. While there have been bumps in the road and underperformances across his team, let alone losing his backup QB 4 plays into the season, CMC and Herbert have been staples for Satan and have allowed him to maintain a chance at a playoff spot even through a midseason dip. There are still some mountains to climb for Satan to secure his playoff spot, but with those two on his team he is always going to have a chance.​

• @JamesSokolove: Edarem is undoubtedly thankful for his dynasty team and the money they are likely to bring him, but I suppose he is probably also thankful that the random vagaries of a 20-team league have spun in his favor more often than not. Week-to-week, Edarem has had some struggles to contend with. Travis Kelce has had a down season for him, Geno has been up and down, and Keenan Allen is as likely to put up 7 points as he is 35. But those numbers haven't all fallen bad in any given week and Edarem has been able to do enough to stay afloat in the playoff conversation. And that is enough to be thankful for, all anyone can ask for in this league is a shot year-to-year, and Edarem has it in 2023.​

• @PhDeac: Ph is thankful in 2023.​

• @YoungBuck95: YB is thankful for the Philadelphia Eagles and the Tush Push. While many players on his team have performed well this season, there is nothing quite like a running QB who can almost guarantee you a rushing TD opportunity on a weekly basis. It's a level of point security that not many players can provide, so to have it on your side will always feel good. Honorable thankful mention: Adam Thielen being the only Panther worth a damn for most of the season.​

• @deacon14: D14 is extremely thankful that he was placed in the Davis Division and that most of his opponents cannot get out of their own way. Consistently solid scoring with some good to great weeks thrown in, D14's Davis Division lead and potential top-4 playoff spot can be largely attributed to no one wanting to score points against him. The third-fewest points scored against on the season has been pivotal in those weeks where his all-play was close to a 50/50 flip, the Pit FFL rookie hasn't had to sweat his spot atop the division for weeks now and is likely to coast to a division win in his first year.​

• @BarcaDeac: Barca is super thankful that we end the season with a divisional game for most and he drew a good one. Barca has been teetering on the cut line for a few weeks, but back to back wins has brought him squarely back into the discussion if he can keep the good times rolling. And waiting for him in Week 14 is probably the best potential matchup for playoff contenders as he will get to face already-eliminated Mrs. I/O while others in contention fight amongst themselves. It's been a rocky year for Barca, but there is potential light at the end of the tunnel if he can stay the course.​

• @Wolf1297: Wolf is extremely thankful that Peach is having such a great year. After last year's debacle, Peach needed this season to go well, and to some degree Wolf needed that too. Marital harmony is always a good thing, and nothing makes me feel better than when my wife is happy and successful. I imagine the same for Wolf. Wolf's own season has been a bumpy road after a hot start, with 5 losses in 6 weeks sending him falling down the division standings. Wolf had a chance to get firmly back in the playoff picture in Week 11, but a loss to Barca means his playoff hopes are dwindling. But that doesn't matter because Peach is doing great.​

Back