• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 WF Soccer Thread - NCAA Tourney 2nd Round - Hoosiers Visit Spry 5 pm Sunday ESPN+

Deacs win 1-0. Coach Muss' notches his 50th ACC regular season victory. Most by any ACC team since he was hired.

Deacs win 1-0. Coach Muss' notches his 50th ACC regular season victory. Most by any ACC team since he was hired.
can’t be more than a handful of teams nationally who have won more games during that span, we’ve been outright dominant most seasons

The ladies are prolly better at this point. Let’s see but it’s been a quiet couple years…
Bobby reads the boards apparently :). Team looking really good since Pitt debacle lets see if they can keep it up and make some postseason noise.

Losing to the GOAT Vidovich is never a debacle :)

I think Jay has the most ACC wins ever, I believe? Need to look that up. Feel like I saw that he was the first to 100, anyway.

Ladies won too - Tonly cooking up one of the better teams they’ve had lately.

After a perfect week, both WF soccer teams jumped in the ratings.

The Men (7-1-3) are now up to #6, and are the highest ranked ACC team (unless you are counting SMU at #4).

Interesting that the only men's soccer teams ranked in the top 10 that also have a Power V football program are: UCF at #2 (new to the Power V), WV at #3, WF at #6 and Stanford at #10. The men's top 10:

1. Marshall
2. UCF
3. WV
4. SMU
5. Akron
6. WF
7. Portland
8. G'town
9. Missouri State
10. Stanford

Guess football money is not necessary for building an NCAA soccer power.

The WF (8-1-2) women rose 8 spots to #17 in the nation. Not sure, but this may be the highest ever ranking for the Lady Deacs. The top 3 women's teams are UNC, FSU and Stanford. 7 ACC women's teams are ranked.

Schedule for this weekend:

Men

@ NC State on Friday at 7pm on ACCN+

Women

@ Cuse on Thursday at 6 pm on the ACCN

Last edited:
The WF (8-1-2) women rose 8 spots to #17 in the nation. Not sure, but this may be the highest ever ranking for the Lady Deacs. The top 3 women's teams are UNC, FSU and Stanford. 7 ACC women's teams are ranked.

The women were a consistent top 15 team during the Stengel/Bledsoe days, including some time spent in the top 5; they had a College Cup appearance and finished the season ranked 4th in 2011. I think they've gotten into the 10-15 range a few times since.

Interesting that the only men's soccer teams ranked in the top 10 that also have a Power V football program are: UCF at #2 (new to the Power V), WV at #3, WF at #6 and Stanford at #10. The men's top 10:

Far more interesting is that 2 of the top 3 soccer teams are from WV. Most of the people I know from WV did not have ANY soccer options growing up.

^ Marshall has one player from West Virginia, and 4 other Americans total, on its roster.

Marshall

WVU has 4 from the state (and a few more Americans) on theirs

WVU

Not surprising at all. Just pointing out the anecdotal difference between university success and statewide interest/participation.

Wake just got an equalizer to come back from down 2-0 at the half vs. Cuse. Under 15 min left.

sleptwalked through the 1st half and outshot them 22-0 in the 2nd half and only get a tie. Gotta come ready to play.

Road point ok outcome, but the 3 were there for the taking. Oh well - at least they got that. Move on and get better.

One goal was a breakaway. The other was a turnover. Both sloppy defense.

Back