• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

When’s the last time any of these grindset young Buck coaches had the time to sit and watch a game not featuring an opponent anyway? Highly doubt they’re sitting down, firing up ACCN and rooting for Wake to not choke at home to Georgia Tech.

Things are going great with Wake basketball. I think we should keep hiring the most qualified candidate.

Tubby Smith is available. He’s tired of playing golf with us. Did Bob Knight die yet? He is obviously the most qualified.

In complete opposition to DR's belief that hiring a young coach is better than hiring an old coach, I give you Brad Underwood and Illinois. Hired in his 50s after a slew of stops climbing the coaching ladder, he has proven to be a fantastic coach and can easily have a 20-year run at Illinois.

In complete opposition to DR's belief that hiring a young coach is better than hiring an old coach, I give you Brad Underwood and Illinois. Hired in his 50s after a slew of stops climbing the coaching ladder, he has proven to be a fantastic coach and can easily have a 20-year run at Illinois.
same dude that was questionable recently due to failure to advance past the second round, twice losing to lower seeded teams, including once as a one seed to an eight seed

When I met Wes Miller in prob 2004, he said, “so and so told me you went to Wake. I rooted for them as a kid.” So Wake hasn’t been him team since at least then. The things DR says are insane and meant to infuriate and they do. And I like Justin a lot. We were close friends in college but I doubt even he thinks he’s done enough at this point to get the Wake job. I hope in the future, but what has he done right now other than be a great Wake alum, which didn’t work out for possibly the greatest Wake bball alum?
I mean considering Wes was playing for UNC in 2004 it’d be weird if he said anything differently haha.

DR insistence that he’s a Deac is the same as someone telling me in a Mountaineer since my folks went to App. I’m not and Wes is not a Deac (and I didn't play a sport at Wake, which you have to figure makes it even stronger). Wes may have a soft spot for Wake - that I don’t know one way or the other - but he was never even enrolled at the school.

Are Jeff and Jason Capel both Dukies and Tarheels because they’re immediate family and played at those two schools?

I mean considering Wes was playing for UNC in 2004 it’d be weird if he said anything differently haha.

DR insistence that he’s a Deac is the same as someone telling me in a Mountaineer since my folks went to App. I’m not and Wes is not a Deac (and I didn't play a sport at Wake, which you have to figure makes it even stronger). Wes may have a soft spot for Wake - that I don’t know one way or the other - but he was never even enrolled at the school.

Are Jeff and Jason Capel both Dukies and Tarheels because they’re immediate family and played at those two schools?
Well, their dad coached at Wake when they were growing up. However, I recall they later didn't seem to have favorable thoughts about Wake. If looking, I'd start elsewhere.

Well one of those Capel kids threw up on Robert Horry during his recruiting trip to Wake, so that one is not a Deac

Well one of those Capel kids threw up on Robert Horry during his recruiting trip to Wake, so that one is not a Deac

That’s hilarious. Well not hilarious if Horry would have chosen Wake over Bama otherwise.

Well, their dad coached at Wake when they were growing up. However, I recall they later didn't seem to have favorable thoughts about Wake. If looking, I'd start elsewhere.
I get all of that. He went to, and played for, a conference rival. He isn’t a Deac. If he came and coached here then he could earn that moniker, but just because a parent was involved in a school doesn’t automatically make their kids the same. My folks have been very involved at App for decades and… I’m not a Mountaineer.

DR has a gift for making arguments, the seed of which I think most people completely agree with (e.g., the Joel is too big; Wake shouldn’t have hired Danny Manning), but presenting them in such a way as to turn those very same people against him. I don’t know what the lawyer/jury analogy is to a doctor’s bedside manner, but we’ve got to work on that, my man (unless you’re just intentionally trying to piss everyone off).

Andy Enfield leaving USC for SMU. ACC job more attractive than a Big 10 job.

Apparently, no one knows who USC is considering because the names listed in various articles are all over the board.

The most common ones are:

• Jim Dutcher San Diego State
  • Niko Medved Colorado State
  • Todd Golden Florida
  • TJ Otzelberger Iowa State
  • Mark Pope BYU
Then, the are some which appear to be massive longshots:

• Jay Wright
  • Eric Musselman
  • Tommy Lloyd
Then, some lesser names that maybe the most realistic (although Niko Medved, mentioned above, would jump on the USC job if offered)

• Russell Turner UCI (former WF assistant)
  • Randy Bennett St. Mary's
  • Buckyball Samford
  • Amir Abdur-Rahim USF
Also, one website claims Kevin Keatts is a candidate, which is hilarious.
Also, this seems like an appropriate time to share a pic of Ms. Enfield as she takes one last longing look at the beach before leaving LA for Dallas:

Amanda_Marcum-1.jpg

Last edited:
Back