• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 NCAA College Baseball Thread

Honorable Mentions to Illinois @ Coastal. Game 1 might be an interesting matchup if the guy that pitched against us starts, but maybe our offense is just ass.
Illinois up early after back to back to back homers

High Point beat Ole Miss 7-3. Neither team is good but I enjoyed hearing the Ole Miss announcers talking about Wake and LSU losing this week.

What Hagen Smith is doing to Oregon State right now is utterly insane

That was something else to watch. Just unreal.

But Oregon State quickly taking advantage of Smith exiting with 2 runs. Hogs now up 3-2.

Didn't realize State is playing a 3 game set at Hawaii. Must be nice, but I would probably bet against them on Tuesday after flying back on Sunday/Monday

Edit- They play on Wednesday rather than Tuesday

East Carolina wins on a walk-off today to take the series against UNC! Not much eventful elsewhere outside of a lot of mid and low-majors avoiding sweeps or winning some big games. LSU dropped to Stony Brook, Vanderbilt dropped (but still won the series) to Gonzaga. KState lost to Arizona St in midweek and dropped a Holy Cross game. Iowa played a tournament for the weekend series and didn't garner a single win. Clemson lost an outright embarrassing game to Kennesaw St but rebounded well enough, and Hawaii avoided the sweep against NC State.

I would expect a lot of movement from #15 downwards in the D1 Baseball rankings tomorrow. Here's CBN's to hold us over:

Official Week 2 Rankings:

Newcomers are Campbell, Auburn, and Dallas Baptist. Feel like it’s worth mentioning that 36% (!!) of the Top 25 are from the Carolinas.

And checking at the replies— it seems Florida State fans really think they should be ranked because they’re undefeated. Their wins? Butler and Western Carolina.

The Deacs remain atop Baseball America's rankings

The top 25 unbeatens:

#6 TCU (just swept UCLA)
#8 UVA (beat #18 Iowa and #20 Auburn this past weekend)
#13 Duke (just swept Northwestern_
#20 UC-Irvine (just swept Tulane; they play UCLA in Dodger Stadium this weekend)
#23 Dallas Baptist (beat Oklahoma this week)
#24 Alabama (have played nobody, but have tough week ahead in the Frisco Classic: #21 Indiana, Arizona, #23 Dallas Baptist)

not a bad thing, but college baseball rankings are way less fickle than other sports it seems. surprised at how little movement there has been; e.g. vandy lost to dayton midweek, and needed a 9th inning rally to not lose the weekend series to awful gonzaga), but barely fell, while tcu and duke have been super impressive but haven't moved up at all.

[btw, still looking for a software engineer / data engineer who like college baseball]

For some good midweek action:

#21 Campbell vs. #22 Coastal; I'm rooting for Campbell here but ultimately not sure who'll wind up winning this game. Too evenly matched teams and too early in the season to tell who'd have the upper hand. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE this to be a weekend series, but alas. I assume pitching matchup will be Cole Peschl for Campbell and Josh O'Neill for Coastal-- Peschl had a more impressive outing against East Carolina last week than O'Neill did against UNCW. I'd lean Campbell for this reason, but it could go either way.

Indiana St vs. #9 Vanderbilt; Normally I wouldn't say this would be an interesting game but given where Indiana St is as a program right now and Vandy's woes this very well could be an upset in the making. Indiana St is 7-0 with some decent wins, and while Vanderbilt is ranked, they have had some embarrassing losses to Dayton and Gonzaga. Likely will be a Vanderbilt victory but wouldn't be completely shocked if the Sycamores run away with this one.

Not seeing too much outside of these two games. Looks like our night games will be Sac State vs Cal, and Loyola Marymount vs Fullerton.

Back