• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 PGA Tour thread

That link says it’s playing at 7450yards. Is that short by todays PGA Tour standards?
I'd say that's about average, maybe slightly above. Off the top of my head I'd guess the average PGA stop is playing somewhere between 7,300 and 7,400 yds.

For points of comparison, Pebble is one of the shortest courses on tour and I think they play it from about 7,000 yds. Torrey is on the longer end and I think it's around 7,700 or 7,800.

That link says it’s playing at 7450yards. Is that short by todays PGA Tour standards?
I stand corrected, didn't know they could stretch it out that far, thought it would be closer to 7,150-7,200 yards

I get it that a rules official cleared it, but this is an insane interpretation of the rules.

I get it that a rules official cleared it, but this is an insane interpretation of the rules.

I mean the rules official made the call, I don't get why Xander is getting so much heat for it. It's really not that different than an official in any sport making a questionable call.

Rory needs to start lobbying to move the Masters to Quail for a year, he would be a lock to complete the grand slam.
Like Tiger, Rory has had multiple wins at certain courses, and Quail is 1 of those. He also seems to win every other time he plays the 2 Dubai courses. He now has 33 career wins on the PGA and DP tours - starting to near Mickelson territory.

Got to walk QH on Saturday. I've always liked the layout, but you really gain an appreciation for just how sloped many of those greens are by going there. And it's immaculate. Is the rough bent grass or something similar? I'd expected everything to be bermuda.

Rory just ran over Xander Sunday. Impressive. Rory wins at -17 (easily could have been -19 but for the nuked approach he hit over the flag and into the drink), and the guys T4 were at -6. Quite the separation after the top 2-3.

Like Tiger, Rory has had multiple wins at certain courses, and Quail is 1 of those. He also seems to win every other time he plays the 2 Dubai courses. He now has 33 career wins on the PGA and DP tours - starting to near Mickelson territory.

Got to walk QH on Saturday. I've always liked the layout, but you really gain an appreciation for just how sloped many of those greens are by going there. And it's immaculate. Is the rough bent grass or something similar? I'd expected everything to be bermuda.
The "base" at Quail is bermuda but they overseed with a cool weather grass (ryegrass) in the fall, so the fairways/rough during the tournament is ryegrass. That will start to burn out over the next few weeks as it really gets hot and the course will transition to bermuda through the summer and into the fall, until they cut the bermuda back and overseed, starting the cycle over again. For example, the PGA championship in 2017 was played in August so the fairways/rough were bermuda, vs. the ryegrass for the Wells Fargo.

Same process you see at other courses such as Augusta and TPC Sawgrass. When the Players was held in May, it was a full bermuda course; now that it's in March, the fairways/greens are ryegrass at that time of year.

PGA Odds:

Scottie Scheffler +300
Rory McIlroy +600
Brooks Koepka +1000
Xander Schauffele +1200
Ludvig Aberg +1200
Jon Rahm +1400
Joaquin Niemann +2500
Collin Morikawa +2500
Bryson DeChambeau +2500
Wyndham Clark +2500
Patrick Cantlay +2800
Cameron Smith +3300
Max Homa +3300
Viktor Hovland +3500
Hideki Matsuyama +3500
Will Zalatoris +4000
Justin Thomas +4000
Tommy Fleetwood +4500
Dustin Johnson +4500
Cameron Young +5000
Jason Day +5000
Matt Fitzpatrick +5000
Tyrell Hatton +5000
Jordan Spieth +5500
Tony Finau +5500

The "base" at Quail is bermuda but they overseed with a cool weather grass (ryegrass) in the fall, so the fairways/rough during the tournament is ryegrass. That will start to burn out over the next few weeks as it really gets hot and the course will transition to bermuda through the summer and into the fall, until they cut the bermuda back and overseed, starting the cycle over again. For example, the PGA championship in 2017 was played in August so the fairways/rough were bermuda, vs. the ryegrass for the Wells Fargo.

Same process you see at other courses such as Augusta and TPC Sawgrass. When the Players was held in May, it was a full bermuda course; now that it's in March, the fairways/greens are ryegrass at that time of year.
My muni used to overseed with rye in the Fall, which made conditions much better for March through May because the bermuda just doesn't grown in till June, but they stopped about a decade ago. So I guess QH is easier to play this time of year with the rye rough. The lies in the rough didn't look bad at all, whereas with bermuda they can fall to the bottom and get nasty.

So it looks like Scottie's baby was born yesterday, and he's playing in the PGA. Given he hasn't played a competitive round in a few weeks, wonder if he'll be rusty. I like Rory more with those odds given his recent form and prior win there. And while Valhalla isn't my favorite PGA location, 18 is really a great risk/reward par 5 to end on. And if Im is > +5500, he might be a good bet. Followed him and Morikawa for a while - love Sungjay's swing.

Rory's playing well, but he is truly a horse for course at QH. He dominates that place. Not sure if it'll translate to Valhalla, but interested to see!

My Pick is Brooks unfortunately.

Jimmy Dunne resigned from the PGA Tour Board, citing no progress in negotiations with PIF because some players on the board have rendered his vote useless.

Great job players. We aren't far from diehard golf fans tuning out for everything but the 4 majors and Ryder Cup. Casual viewers did so awhile ago.

Jimmy Dunne resigned from the PGA Tour Board, citing no progress in negotiations with PIF because some players on the board have rendered his vote useless.

Great job players. We aren't far from diehard golf fans tuning out for everything but the 4 majors and Ryder Cup. Casual viewers did so awhile ago.
I have only watched the Masters and a little bit of the Wells Fargo this year. I used to watch every week.

Back