• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 PGA Tour thread

If the US wants to use a team event as Ryder Cup practice, they can't put it after a back-to-back major and elevated event. I'm sure more guys would have enjoyed playing, but there are realities to scheduling...

I wouldn't mind all four rounds being alternate shot. Such a fun format to watch and it moves quickly. I don't think four ball works very well at this level outside of match play.
Yeah, hole 18 at TPC Louisiana goes from an automatic birdie in 4-ball, to multiple teams struggling to make a par in alternate shot. The pressure gets amped up quite a bit when these guys know they aren't the ones hitting the next shot.

US Open Qualifier underway at Duke. 38-year old Richard Faulkner from Henderson, NC shot a 50 on the front 9.

1714405624092.png

If the US wants to use a team event as Ryder Cup practice, they can't put it after a back-to-back major and elevated event. I'm sure more guys would have enjoyed playing, but there are realities to scheduling...

I wouldn't mind all four rounds being alternate shot. Such a fun format to watch and it moves quickly. I don't think four ball works very well at this level outside of match play.

Four ball may as we be a captains choice. It's just a birdie bonanza.

Love alt shot events.

US Open Qualifier underway at Duke. 38-year old Richard Faulkner from Henderson, NC shot a 50 on the front 9.

View attachment 9163
it's crazy that people like this always enter these qualifiers. If you aren't a year-round tournament player consistently shooting around par from the tips, you shouldn't be out there, IMO.

View attachment 9163
It takes some real talent to make a 10 on hole #5, because that might be the easiest hole on the front side at Duke. Supposedly this guy shot 64 and 67 in back-to-back rounds last month and is a +1.3 handicap!

I don't enter US Open or US Amateur qualifiers (because I understand my limitations and am not an idiot and/or selfish), but will do the occasional US Mid-Am qualifier on the off chance I get hot for 18 holes (but i'm also secretly terrified that I'll have a bad day and make it miserable for my two playing partners at the same time). Not "50 on the front nine bad", more like "five 3-putts in a round" bad.

I've got a buddy caddying for his son who was 3 over after two but eagled #9 and is now 1 over thru 9, T7, but the site isn't fully up to date with all of the golfers, so he's probably a little lower.

What kind of an asshole no-shows for a US Open Qualifier when there are a hundred people who wanted to get in and there's a list of alternates ? Dorey Wilson and Daniel Horgan, that's what kind. My apologies if there were true tragic extenuating circumstances that prevented them from showing up for their rounds today.

1714410131314.png

It takes some real talent to make a 10 on hole #5, because that might be the easiest hole on the front side at Duke. Supposedly this guy shot 64 and 67 in back-to-back rounds last month and is a +1.3 handicap!

I don't enter US Open or US Amateur qualifiers (because I understand my limitations and am not an idiot and/or selfish), but will do the occasional US Mid-Am qualifier on the off chance I get hot for 18 holes (but i'm also secretly terrified that I'll have a bad day and make it miserable for my two playing partners at the same time). Not "50 on the front nine bad", more like "five 3-putts in a round" bad.
This was my thought too. It's like 400 yds dead straight with no trouble except for a few very easy green side bunkers.

The only thing I can think of that would cause a plus cap to take a 10 there is something like skirting close to the woods off the tee, playing some rando ball from the woods, and taking that penalty plus stroke and distance. If you're losing multiple balls on 5 you're not a single digit cap let alone a plus.

Zalatoris withdraws from Byron Nelson with a back issue. Let’s hope he didn’t rush his comeback and just needs a little rest!!
Saw on TGC where 1 of their reporters said he had spoken with Will's physio who said Will is okay and that they didn't want to play 6 weeks in a row and that it's just rest.

This week's Byron Nelson is as bad of a field that you will find for a PGA Tour event, except for when the Tour runs a secondary event during the same week as an elevated event.

Jordan Speith is the favorite, and he has made only three cuts since the middle of February. He hasn't won in his last 45 starts.

Just think how much worse the field would be if it weren't for the Texas locals, including the Korean contingent. I recognize more names at the DP China stop. I like elevating Harbourtown because I love that course, but that trashed the Dallas and N'awleans fields with QH and the PGA right after. I like Foxy, Min Wu and the Korean contingent this week.

The next few weeks are a gauntlet which explains folks skipping Colonial (which isn't a great course to start with either at Craig Ranch IMO): Wells Fargo (elevated), PGA (Major), Charles Schwab at Colonial, Canadian Open, Memorial (Signature), US Open (Major), Travelers (elevated).

I disagree that the DP China stop has more recognizable names than the PGA event this week but I know you watch a lot of the Euro Tour Cville.

The next few weeks are a gauntlet which explains folks skipping Colonial (which isn't a great course to start with either at Craig Ranch IMO): Wells Fargo (elevated), PGA (Major), Charles Schwab at Colonial, Canadian Open, Memorial (Signature), US Open (Major), Travelers (elevated).

I disagree that the DP China stop has more recognizable names than the PGA event this week but I know you watch a lot of the Euro Tour Cville.
Yeah, if I were a top-50 pro, I'd skip Craig Ranch and Colonial and play QH, the PGA, Canadian, Memorial and US. And I really do recognize more names at the China event. Just ask yourself, on Thu-Fri mornings, would you rather have breakfast, digest and workout to the DP or some combination of Evan & Canty, Nick Wright's awful show, Craig Carton and Mike Greenberg?

And please, lower case c.

Yeah, if I were a top-50 pro, I'd skip Craig Ranch and Colonial and play QH, the PGA, Canadian, Memorial and US. And I really do recognize more names at the China event. Just ask yourself, on Thu-Fri mornings, would you rather have breakfast, digest and workout to the DP or some combination of Evan & Canty, Nick Wright's awful show, Craig Carton and Mike Greenberg?

And please, lower case c.

I know which one makos mom would pick!

Oh shit I know that guy lol. Saw him 4 days ago actually and he mentioned playing in that. He’s a good player. That’s wild.
And that’s what’s crazy about golf. You can be a really good player, but there is a gap about as wide as the Grand Canyon between really good players and tour level players.

Back