• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 Presidential Primaries and Election

I thought the oceans were rising. Does that not affect the canals ?

I know you're being sarcastic, but for those who don't know the canal is fed from Gatun Lake.

I transited the canal back in 2017 and it was one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

Last edited:
Michigan State Supreme Court has punted in the question of whether Trump can be on the primary ballot in Michigan.

"...agrees with the Michigan Court of Appeals that under the wording of state law, the secretary of state does not have the authority to exclude from the ballot a prominent candidate such as Trump, whose name has been put forward by a political party, regardless of whether he is ineligible under the U.S. Constitution."

Michigan does not have explicit requirements that Michigan officials have to insure that candidates for president are qualified. Colorado does.

I wonder how they would have ruled if it was someone like Arnold Schwarzenegger running.

They didn't punt. They said that it's the party's choice who appears on the primary ballot.

The general election ballot isn't settled yet, so that case isn't viable.

Feels like another valid interpretation.

This isn't a easy question.

They didn't punt. They said that it's the party's choice who appears on the primary ballot.

The general election ballot isn't settled yet, so that case isn't viable.

Feels like another valid interpretation.

This isn't a easy question.
There was additional aspirational language suggesting that it was up to the parties to nominate eligible people.

The Civil War according to Nikki Haley. Apparently someone in the crowd did criticize her for not mentioning slavery, so at least the truth got in there somewhere.

Last edited:
but also the civil war wasn't about northern moral courage in the face of a ghastly institution either

i don't really want to go down a rabbit hole of what constitutes a "primary cause" but yeah, i think antislavery sentiment was a primary driver
i'd be interested in learning more about that view if you had good sources to recommend

The answer is most definitely states rights. Southern states thought the federal government didn't have the right to tell them they couldn't own humans as property.

The answer is most definitely states rights. Southern states thought the federal government didn't have the right to tell them they couldn't own humans as property.
i'm not challenging the idea of southern depravity, but questioning the role of northern benevolence (as opposed to self-interest)

would feel nice to be off the mark on this one

i'm not challenging the idea of southern depravity, but questioning the role of northern benevolence (as opposed to self-interest)

would feel nice to be off the mark on this one
I wasn't disagreeing with you, but there was assuredly a north v. south pissing match going on.

Back