• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 Presidential Primaries and Election

Dean Phillips is losing to Marianne Williamson in South Carolina. Seems to undercut his argument that he’s the guy to beat Trump lol

Doesn’t matter. Consultants got paid.

Biden is 95%+ in every county. A lot of Dem governors are looking at this happy they sat out this year instead of embarrassing themselves.

SC democrats come through once again. That's what we do. We have no voice in the general but we get primaries right.

it's not like there is a legitimate challenger

it's not like there is a legitimate challenger

Phillips certainly thought he was. Probably still thinks he is. Or at least his consultants will tell him so.

I mean Phillips is a sitting member of congress...that is a pretty big boost of legitimacy. It seems unfathomable that a sitting member of congress could lose by 95 points and even better come in third behind a self help author/kook.

There are several ways to explain it. Somewhat. But nothing fully explains 96% for a presumably unpopular candidate.

I mean Phillips is a sitting member of congress...that is a pretty big boost of legitimacy. It seems unfathomable that a sitting member of congress could lose by 95 points and even better come in third behind a self help author/kook.
His name recognition in SC is probably...... terrible. At least Williamson has been on their ballot before.

I hope Haley continues to run against Trump for the Republican nomination. If she can keep Trump under 60% of the vote in the primaries, his myth of invincibility in the Republican party is damaged. It clearly identifies a percentage of the Republican vote that could be available to the Democrats. It also lends support to moderate Republicans that they are not alone.
Lol. That’s adorable you think that.

It's been a long time since anyone has used the word adorable and me in the same sentance. I do appreciate it.

I don't expect much from the non- trump Republicans, but every little bit helps.
They will not hesitate to vote for trump when they are in the privacy of the ballot box. The non trump Republican is a myth. Always has been.

Biden is up with 96% of the vote in SC. Feels like strong anti-Biden sentiment would manifest itself with a large share of the vote.
Agreed and curious about turnout. High turnout is good, but low turnout may not mean much.

His name recognition in SC is probably...... terrible. At least Williamson has been on their ballot before.

Presumably he campaigned there to fix that. And there is supposed to be this hunger for an alternative to Biden.

Nikki Haley lost to "none of these candidates" in the Nevada primary. None has over 60% with over half the vote in. Haley has 33.4%. Seems like she could have put a lot more effort into Nevada in hopes of notching an actual win before Trump breezes through the caucus on Thursday.

Meanwhile Biden got 90% and "none of these candidates" is at 5.7%. (Phillips wasn't on the ballot) Yes, these are low turnout primaries, but that means a few dozen thousand anti-Biden voters could make a real statement. Either they aren't there or they aren't showing up.

maryanne williamson drops out despite her strong 2nd place finish in SC. Dean Phillips hopes to improve up to 5% in next primary.

Elections have become passive without platforms…at least, very lest, Biden has been trying ( or passed like infrastructure) bills like immigration/border bills.

There are several ways to explain it. Somewhat. But nothing fully explains 96% for a presumably unpopular candidate.
I am unaware of Biden being “unpopular” among the Democratic Primary field. Seems pretty obvious that the unpopularity you’re referring to would present itself in potentially lower turnout in a primary and GE especially. His dominant percentage doesn’t reflect turnout numbers, mostly just primary voter loyalty and a lack of competition.

It is obvious. But lower turnout doesn’t explain 96% when a protest vote is easy to cast. Even easier in Nevada and “none of these candidates” only got 5.6%.

Back