• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 Wake Baseball Thread: What Did We Do To Deserve This?

I dont understand taking out Burns and Not pitching Roland.

Im certainly not a baseball guru but clearly smarter than our staff last night. one bad decision after another.

State is good but we have pissed away so many games this year it is beyond pathetic. Hartle going from very good to meh was going to keep us out of the top 5 and acc regular season champs but the underperformance other than that is also glaring.

The entire season is still ahead so peak at the right time and win.

The bottom of NCSU’s order was stacked with lefties, and it was the bottom of the order, so I imagine Walter left him in there thinking he’d be able to get through those favorable matchups, and Roland could pitch the 10th against the top of the lineup. I can understand that thinking.

The tough part is that Johnstone had wriggled out of the 8th and had a huge, emotional K of NCSU’s best hitter to end it. Hard for a pitcher to reset mentally after an adrenaline high like that.

Ideally we’d have another non-Roland reliever we trust to pitch in that situation against the bottom of the other team’s order in a tie game on the road, but we don’t. All year it’s felt like this team is just a couple of players short in the lineup and bullpen. Last night was a microcosm of that.

The part that’s especially hard to choke down is once again seeing a rival shut us down with a freshman reliever coming in out of the pen in key spots. NCSU did that on Thursday and again on Friday. Duke did it to us. UNC did it to us. We don’t have even one guy like that.

Johnston is a good young pitcher but I could tell watching on tv he was too amped up. He was shakin for god sake.

I really enjoy pulling for these kids. They are a fun group, but they are better than most all of these other teams so they need to play like. I think Walter said it, we play our best and these teams play their best - we win. Just go out and execute,
Not often is wake clearly better than the competition in these sports. This team is very very good, and maybe the best team,

Stop fkg around and play like it!

The bottom of NCSU’s order was stacked with lefties, and it was the bottom of the order, so I imagine Walter left him in there thinking he’d be able to get through those favorable matchups, and Roland could pitch the 10th against the top of the lineup. I can understand that thinking.

The tough part is that Johnstone had wriggled out of the 8th and had a huge, emotional K of NCSU’s best hitter to end it. Hard for a pitcher to reset mentally after an adrenaline high like that.

Ideally we’d have another non-Roland reliever we trust to pitch in that situation against the bottom of the other team’s order in a tie game on the road, but we don’t. All year it’s felt like this team is just a couple of players short in the lineup and bullpen. Last night was a microcosm of that.

good assessment. obviously we would all love for burns and roland to pitch every inning but that’s not possible. and even if we had not allowed the walk-off, we would have still had to pitch at least one more inning.

i don’t totally get it, but the staff (and from everything i’ve seen, muscara pretty much makes the calls here) really believes in johnston. (but don’t really have much trust in crawford wade)

but regardless, the impact of those decisions are infinitesimal compared to the lack of offensive output against bad pitching. (i don’t think it brings the same level of carthasis though)

Last edited:
An almost unfathomable thought/possibility at the start of the year. As someone said in an earlier post "we are who we are" at this point in the season; just hasn't been an overall enjoyable experience for us fans and I'm not sure that isn't the same for the players & coaches.
I’d have had Seaver in the 3 hole protecting Kurtz all year, 31 4th, 21 5th and Tellier 6th, Tellier only because late starters Morales and Wilson didn’t show until later. Boy do we need help at Catcher.
14 and 22 both have slugging % under .300. Learn to hit, guys.

If we end up being a 2 seed how would you manage starting pitching? Throwing Burns against the 3 makes you more likely to be relevant longer, but throwing Hartle first gives you a chance to throw Burns against the 1 and be in control.

I think I’d go Hartle first.

Today's lineup.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240518_111233_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240518_111233_Facebook.jpg
    715.5 KB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot_20240518_111236_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240518_111236_Facebook.jpg
    815.4 KB · Views: 32
Winnay and Rhino have left a combined 12 runners on base in 2 games. When those guys aren’t doing anything, our lineup seems very short to me, because we can’t count on getting anything from 7-9.

Bummer of a game. Ironic that the State fans complained about the strike zone all night for their guys (and it did seem like they got squeezed on a few critical pitches), then we end up walking the world in the 9th.
This is the game.

I’d have had Seaver in the 3 hole protecting Kurtz all year, 31 4th, 21 5th and Tellier 6th, Tellier only because late starters Morales and Wilson didn’t show until later. Boy do we need help at Catcher.
14 and 22 both have slugging % under .300. Learn to hit, guys.
Gill looked as if he was really coming around and now he’s slumping. Too many goose eggs at the bottom of the order,

An almost unfathomable thought/possibility at the start of the year. As someone said in an earlier post "we are who we are" at this point in the season; just hasn't been an overall enjoyable experience for us fans and I'm not sure that isn't the same for the players & coaches.
Did we really gain anything in losing Corona, Cecere, Johnson, Cueto, Costello, Lee ...(I guess there were others) with the replacements? I know guys transfer. Really always have, moreso than in basketball and football until the portal. I just don't get leaving the program after a trip to Omaha.... unless they really didn't like the school or our program.

Does anyone think or know if the other guys were told the new players would jump them in the starting rotation?

Did we really gain anything in losing Corona, Cecere, Johnson, Cueto, Costello, Lee ...(I guess there were others) with the replacements? I know guys transfer. Really always have, moreso than in basketball and football until the portal. I just don't get leaving the program after a trip to Omaha.... unless they really didn't like the school or our program.
This post is reassuring in that it’s solid evidence that you’re either a troll or an idiot, and I’m not ruling out both.

Does anyone think or know if the other guys were told the new players would jump them in the starting rotation?
You know not all of those guys transferred, right?

Taking a break from this team today. They clearly have the talent to return to Omaha and at times they have played like it. Unfortunately most of the time, the team has appeared unfocused and undisciplined and frankly they play like they don’t give a shit a lot. This weekend is a great example. They clearly are more talented than the Wuffies but State has a lot of fight and grit. State plays with heart and determination. We could use a lot of those things. This doesn’t even take into account that we were at quite a deficit in the head coaching category this weekend.

Burns is the exception. He has come ready to play each time out. Sometimes his stuff was better than others but he has never lacked for fight and effort. Too bad it is not contagious.

Hopefully Walter will wake up and actually manage the team competently and the team will come together and decide they want to compete. Otherwise this season will end as a big disappointment after starting the year ranked # 1.

Go Deacs!

Back