• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 Wake Baseball Thread: What Did We Do To Deserve This?

Who cares? This is 2024 and it’s time to make new memories while getting another group drafted after winning in Omaha. That’s the new standard.

Costello is hitting at the top of the lineup for Miami. He’s off to a good start. They have a huge series against Florida this weekend.

Yeah. both are totally the same teams as last year. Come on. Be serious here
That’s baseball. Braves can win the WS, win 100 games but still lose 62 in regular season. We struck out about 15 but as Walter said, all their runs came after we gave up walks. Get a sweep vs Dayton and settle down.

The hitting is not what it was last year. We have our #9 hitter last year batting second. Maybe it gets better but I think we will struggle when our ace pitchers are not on the mound especially mid-week games. Hard to see how we finish as good as last year.

Costello and Cecere would both start in the outfield for us this season
That's what I was kinda feeling. No real good reason they left. My first thought to the roster losses was, "Gosh, the new guys must be lots better and these guys see the writing on the wall." or something similar. Probably safe to say their hitting could easily made the difference vs G'boro.

Hopeful we see great improvement from all our guys at the plate. If so, Omaha bound, because our pitching should be as elite as it's been hyped to be.

Brock Wilken started last year 2-12 from the plate FWIW

I understand that there's a lot of expectations for this team, but I don't think it's reasonable to judge all of our hitters based on their performance in 4 games in mid-February.

Agree with the patience theme. For some guys, its just bad baseball luck. Seaver King is current 3 for 14, but only has one K. So, he's 3 for 13 when the ball is in play which is ridiculously low. He will hit. Have no doubt.

The guy that concerns me is Chris Katz.

Hope this is just a statistical anomaly, but last season, Katz did not get a hit in April, May or June. He finished last season on an 0 for 19 run, with 9 Ks. To start this season, Katz is 0 for 10 with 6Ks. So, he is on a current 0 for 29 streak with 15Ks. Yikes. That is hard to do. At the MLB level, that would be bad run by a pitcher (when they used to try to hit). Get that baseball is a streaky sport, but the strikeouts are a massive concern. Further, Katz is a DH; so, on the entire WF roster, taking defense out of consideration, Katz is WF's best option to produce offense? Hope this is one of those things, where a stat is pointed out, and that Katz disproves it by going on an absolute tear, but he's got to produce or it will become time to give a younger player the opportunity.

That's what I was kinda feeling. No real good reason they left. My first thought to the roster losses was, "Gosh, the new guys must be lots better and these guys see the writing on the wall." or something similar. Probably safe to say their hitting could easily made the difference vs G'boro.
It’s reasonable (and correct) to assert the younger OFs like Nelson have far greater value than one more year of Cecere or Stello. I like both of those guys a lot.

I've posted it before, but Cecere could mash against bad competition but was quite bad against good pitching, which I would speculate was because of below-average bat speed (probably also why he hasn't gotten any sniffs from pro teams). I think if we end up with a speedy contact hitter who is good at defense (like Nelson), I think it will be an upgrade to our championship hopes.

Deacs play a three game series against Dayton starting tomorrow. Friday and Saturday are 4 pm starts; Sunday is 1 pm. Dayton is 3-1, taking 2 of 3 from Lindenwood, and then upsetting Vandy on Tuesday. Dayton's pitching has been solid as Dayton pitchers have .198 average against in their 4 games so far. Dayton was picked to finish 6th in the 2024 A-10 (WF's first opponent, Fordham, was picked to finish 11th). A sweep would be helpful to restore order to the universe.

This is probably the wrong thread, but does anyone have any insight on if our drafted guys will get any run in spring training? I'm watching the Dodgers/Pads game and it seems like the reserves that are playing are all established minor leaguers. Guess my question is, is it worth it to try and find Brewers or Reds or Indians games this spring, or will our guys be playing in a rookie ball setup?

Deacs play a three game series against Dayton starting tomorrow. Friday and Saturday are 4 pm starts; Sunday is 1 pm. Dayton is 3-1, taking 2 of 3 from Lindenwood, and then upsetting Vandy on Tuesday. Dayton's pitching has been solid as Dayton pitchers have .198 average against in their 4 games so far. Dayton was picked to finish 6th in the 2024 A-10 (WF's first opponent, Fordham, was picked to finish 11th). A sweep would be helpful to restore order to the universe.
I wish they would push back 1st pitch on Saturday to 430 at least. Since its going to take a bit to get everyone off the court from celebrating and to walk over to the Couch.

Last edited:
Brock Wilken (Brewers) and Rhett Lowder (Reds) were non-roster invitees to MLB camp for their respective teams. That means both may get time in exhibition games. Gavin Sheets is on the White Sox roster. Stuart Fairchild is on the Reds roster. The rest of the Deacs in pro ball will report to camp in a few weeks.

Last edited:
anyone need tix to the dayton series? sec. 10, row h

Last edited:
Back