• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 Wake Baseball Thread: What Did We Do To Deserve This?

Obviously disappointing to lose all of these ACC weekends against ranked opponents with all of the high praise going into the season. However, college baseball is all about who is hot at the end of the season. Hopefully wake stops making it harder on themselves and at least plays well enough to host a regional.
Not entirely. We are teetering on the brink of not even making the postseason at this point.

Which poster posted something at the start of the season along the lines of “if we’re a bubble team then something went horribly wrong?”

I wonder what the ratio of Carolina fans to Wake fans will be at Sunday’s game. Oh well, at least the weather forecast is good.

Who really cares? He's hits for average and power. That's all that really matters. He's the least of our worries on offense
I don’t think 6 homers playing half your games in this park is mind blowing. My point was we needed base runners. To your point though, he is not our biggest offensive concern.

I don’t think 6 homers playing half your games in this park is mind blowing. My point was we needed base runners. To your point though, he is not our biggest offensive concern.

It's not mind blowing. But I think he's second on the team with six. And hitting over.300
Many, many bigger problems

Just my 2 cents here but I'm for giving Walter a break here. He has taken us further in the NCAA'S than any of our other coaches. I don't know how you can blame him for the fact that our returning players predicated to be high draft choices have absolutely failed to deliver, maybe they were busy reading their press clippings. From what I've seen, he seems to be trying different line-ups to rectify the situation. Is he perfect ? No but the debacle this season rests squarely on the players he depended on. As far as I know he has never pitched an inning or had an at bat this year.

Just my 2 cents here but I'm for giving Walter a break here. He has taken us further in the NCAA'S than any of our other coaches. I don't know how you can blame him for the fact that our returning players predicated to be high draft choices have absolutely failed to deliver, maybe they were busy reading their press clippings. From what I've seen, he seems to be trying different line-ups to rectify the situation. Is he perfect ? No but the debacle this season rests squarely on the players he depended on. As far as I know he has never pitched an inning or had an at bat this year.
To be fair, last year the team was in auto pilot most of the way. He assembled a fantastic team so credit to him but his main job last year was to not screw things up. He has underachieved far more times than he has overachieved

Drives me nuts when fans use similar wording like your last sentence. So why the fuck is he getting paid handsomely if it’s all on the players?

Drives me nuts when fans use similar wording like your last sentence. So why the fuck is he getting paid handsomely if it’s all on the players?

He seems to be doing everything he can to shake things up. Change the weekend rotation. Insert new guys into the lineup etc. But at some level when Hartle underperforms and Kurtz is hitting below.200, what the hell can you do? We lost a lot of talent. And he brought in the number one transfer class. But guys just aren't getting it done. Makes last year all the more special

Obviously disappointing to lose all of these ACC weekends against ranked opponents with all of the high praise going into the season. However, college baseball is all about who is hot at the end of the season. Hopefully wake stops making it harder on themselves and at least plays well enough to host a regional.

I’m growing concerned that what we see is what we have - a team that’s not really any better than all these other ACC teams. Our lineup has some bats who have produced, but is not really intimidating and our bullpen is subpar. We have 5 guys who are high draft picks (though 2 players of the 5 have struggled and a third has been injured/limited), but the talent behind those guys is nothing special relative to our conference foes. I will admit that I underestimated how much talent we lost.

I expect Kurtz to get right at some point, because guys with his talent and work ethic don’t generally forget how to hit, but when he does, can one guy carry this offense?

Sorry if I offended you, the boards are designed for respectful discussions for people with different opinions. didn't mean for my last sentence sounded flippant. Since we seem to be on opposite sides of this discussion, what is your opinion of what he should be doing differently?

Back