• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 Wake Baseball Thread: What Did We Do To Deserve This?

It’s going to be hard to go anywhere without a single dependable bullpen arm. It’s killing this team.
It is really tough to rely on a true freshman in these tight situations, much less trusting 3 or 4 of them. And this isn't an attack on them, ACC baseball is a different animal. And when Ray is serving up frisbees middle middle, and Falco (who has to biggest transfer disappointment in all of college baseball) can't throw a scoreless inning to save his life, its a receipt for disaster. It also doesn't help when you have a below average defensive infield (eye test, not sure about the numbers). It all adds up to pissing away numerous leads and giving games away. We were old last year, and that makes a huge difference. But the concentration lapse on the bases today has to come down to coaching at some point. When 2-3 guys are making little league mistakes, something is wrong.

But as an earlier poster said, we need to move Massey back to the back end of the bullpen and punt on Sundays. He has looked better these last 2 weeks, but if he is only going to go 30-45 pitches, we need to utilize him better for the team. It doesn't do anyone any good if he throws 3 perfect innings, and then the bullpen proceeds to give up bomb after bomb. I wonder if Walter promised him a starting nod last year, for this year, to get him to transfer here. But having him and Roland (who knows when he will be available, but he looks good and active on the bench during games) on the back end would do wonders for this team. Just try and win the Fridays and Saturdays, and go from there. Try and score 10-12 runs and hope on Sundays.

Anyone know what Hudson Lee's injury is? Did it happen in summer ball? Or in practice before the season? He didn't have 1 appearance last year. Was that a talent issue (too many better options above him) or did he have TJ or something and has been out for over a year? Hes a hard throwing lefty, right?

Wade is coming off of TJ or something long term, if I remember correctly. Didn't he get injured in his first batter or 2 he faced last year? What can we really expect from these 2 coming off of long injuries?

Last year was so special, and Kurtz being Kurtz today makes it hurt worse.

We've got the pieces.

I just don't even know what to type out.

You can't run to 3rd with less than 2 outs on a fly ball to right center. You just can't.

We are lacking fundamentals. Anybody that watched the end of Friday knows that.

I appreciate all of the science and technology of the pitching lab and am sure it's been helpful. No doubt. But, at some point, you have to have the athletes who can just throw the damn ball across the plate.
Clemson, FSU, UNC, etc have no pitching lab. They will all wipe us off the field.

Unfortunately, this team can improve and still be terrible.

It’s going to be hard to go anywhere without a single dependable bullpen arm. It’s killing this team.

also not reassuring that guys like wade, chase walter and hudson lee are all available but we apparently have less confidence in them than the guys we are actually pitching.

I’ve never felt great about the fact that we seem to be counting on bullpen guys who are coming off serious arm injuries.

Where I’m disappointed is that our freshmen and sophomore pitchers generally seem to be outclassed by their freshmen/sophomore counterparts on opposing teams. UNC and Duke in particular seemed to throw young guys who were more effective than ours. Maybe our recruiting just hasn’t made that leap yet?

I’ve never felt great about the fact that we seem to be counting on bullpen guys who are coming off serious arm injuries.

Where I’m disappointed is that our freshmen and sophomore pitchers generally seem to be outclassed by their freshmen/sophomore counterparts on opposing teams. UNC and Duke in particular seemed to throw young guys who were more effective than ours. Maybe our recruiting just hasn’t made that leap yet?

Agree with this. I also wonder if we got distracted by Burns at the expense of developing the youths.

A lot of it is hoping and praying that you don’t waste your time recruiting a kid who is going to go pro. Really good freshmen don’t often make it to college.

last year's recruiting class was definitely weaker since our top two arms both signed with pro teams (isaiah lowe and gary gill hill). but if you just look at perfect game rankings, there's not a big difference between our recruiting and duke and unc.

UNC's friday and saturday starters were ranked 406th and 208th. leffew, morningstar and brody shawn were all ranked in the top 200. koshy was 346th, as well. granted, i think the success unc is seeing from those two is exceptional, i think it's expected for true freshmen to struggle. so i guess it's plausible that we are dealing with a really poor 2022 recruiting class, and we'll be okay next season if/when our guys take a leap in their second year which is pretty common for pitchers.

our recruiting has defintiely improved starting next year, hopefully these guys make it to campus.

Last edited:
With my experiences using Trackman and video analytics for golf, it's VERY easy to get caught up on numbers, technique, and kinematic sequence type thoughts instead of putting the ball in the hole. I imagine the Pitching Lab is very similar, especially for eager 18-22yo young men wanting to advance their careers. There is of course a time and place for such, but at the end of the day you have to forget it while on the mound and just compete. Seems like our guys are struggling to do just that. Just my .02

last year's recruiting class was definitely weaker since our top two arms both signed with pro teams (isaiah lowe and gary gill hill). but if you just look at perfect game rankings, there's not a big difference between our recruiting and duke and unc.

UNC's friday and saturday starters were ranked 406th and 208th. leffew, morningstar and brody shawn were all ranked in the top 200. koshy was 346th, as well. granted, i think the success unc is seeing from those two is exceptional, i think it's expected for true freshmen to struggle. so i guess it's plausible that we are dealing with a really poor 2022 recruiting class, and we'll be okay next season if/when our guys take a leap in their second year which is pretty common for pitchers.

our recruiting has defintiely improved starting next year, hopefully these guys make it to campus.
The catch though is that we’ll lose Hartle, Burns, and Massey so we won’t be better unless a bunch of them pan out and we get some transfers.

Back