• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 Wake Baseball Thread: What Did We Do To Deserve This?

I'm all aboard on Leffew and Morningstar as SPs for next year. I think both can be really good
I'd still feel better with two more to have some options. Think we could find an ace in the portal and have Leffew/Morningstar/Transfer settle into the Sat/Sun/Keener role.

Feel like a lot of this stuff gets forgotten and rehashed, but WF already has a commitment from Penn's #1 starter Cole Zaffiro. He is a 4th year player with one year of eligibility left. He was 1st team all Ivy in 2023. Zaffiro got off to bad start in 2024, but he's put together good outings lately. He was coveted, and he is coming to WF to be a weekend starter.

WF also has a commitment from RHP Ryan Sloan of IL. He's currently projected as a late 1st round/early 2nd round pick. So, there's a good chance that he's headed to pro ball, but WF got Hartle who was in a similar position. If Sloan comes to WF, it will be on.

WF has commitments from very highly ranked pitchers coming in from California (Duncan Marsten -- Harvard-Westlake) and NJ (Chris Levonas -- Christian Brothers). Would also expect WF to be looking at the portal to add (in the past two years WF has added Chase Burns, Sean Sullivan, Michael Massey, Cole Roland and David Falco from the portal) to the staff. Lots of moving parts and lots of time for additions and losses, but there is every reason to think, WF will have a strong staff in 2024.

Last edited:
Feel like a lot of this stuff gets forgotten and rehashed, but WF already has a commitment from Penn's #1 starter Cole Zaffiro. He is a 4th year player with one year of eligibility left. He was 1st team all Ivy in 2023. Zaffiro got off to bad start in 2024, but he's put together good outings lately. He was coveted, and he is coming to WF to be a weekend starter.

WF also has a commitment from RHP Ryan Sloan of IL. He's currently projected as a late 1st round/early 2nd round pick. So, there's a good chance that he's headed to pro ball, but WF got Hartle who was in a similar position. If Sloan comes to WF, it will be on.

Has commitments from very highly ranked pitchers coming in from California (Duncan Marsten -- Harvard-Westlake) and NJ (Chris Levonas -- Christian Brothers). Would also expect WF to be looking at the portal to add (in the past two years WF has added Chase Burns, Sean Sullivan, Michael Massey, Cole Roland and David Falco from the portal) to the staff. Lots of moving parts and lots of time for additions and losses, but there is every reason to think, WF will have a strong staff in 2024.
Also have that transfer from GT already on campus.

I think Gunther will prove to be an option, too, maybe Johnston as well. I suspect we'll land an elite transfer but the competition will be super intense for the other two spots.

If I was forced to make a guess, I would say that a transfer is our #1 and Zaffiro and Morningstar win the other spots. Would bet against a freshman, it's not common and the elite of the elite prospects who have been weekend starters as freshmen (Lowder, Hartle, Cusick) struggled.

Last edited:
Aaron Fitt did a piece on us in d1baseball, this was an interesting tidbit:

Wake Forest pitching coach Corey Muscara also made an appeal to the laws of probability, trying to use logic and statistics to keep the Deacs grounded and optimistic when things weren’t going well.

“One thing that Moose talked about was, we didn’t try and switch anything up, because he made it very clear that, the way that we were pitching and the way people were doing damage off of us was a statistical anomaly. They were hitting more home runs on two-strike pitches than any number you’ve ever seen,” sophomore outfielder Jack Winnay said.

I think Gunther will prove to be an option, too, maybe Johnston as well. I suspect we'll land an elite transfer but the competition will be super intense for the other two spots.

If I was forced to make a guess, I would say that a transfer is our #1 and Zaffiro and Morningstar win the other spots. Would bet against a freshman, it's not common and the elite of the elite prospects who have been weekend starters as freshmen (Lowder, Hartle, Cusick) struggled.
I am optimistic that Walter and Co will find a 2024 "Chase Burns" by August this year.

Last night was the first home game I have been able to attend in about a month I guess. Think it was the Duke series. Anyway I noticed last night that Kurtz’ walk up music seemed to have changed. When did that happen?

Last night was the first home game I have been able to attend in about a month I guess. Think it was the Duke series. Anyway I noticed last night that Kurtz’ walk up music seemed to have changed. When did that happen?
He changed it when he came back from his injury. No more "hand waving" unfortunately. I think he might have switched it to change things up. You know how baseball peeps are superstitious when they get in a funk.

Xavier is 15-17. Have no idea how anyone could project them to be a 3 seed.

I am optimistic that Walter and Co will find a 2024 "Chase Burns" by August this year.
We keep this upward trajectory of pitching up, and it's gonna be a fun summer of transfer talks I think.

Have guys like Lowder Sully and Keener shoving in pro ball. Get Chase burns in the top 10. Hartle Massey in the first/very early second. It'll soon turn from "they have a pitching lab, but were those guys a flash in the pan?" to "if you want to upgrade your draft stock, and maximize your potential, transfer to Wake."

Back