• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

5-7 WF receiving a bowl invite? Here is the breakdown.

To each his/her own, given that schedule strength varies so massively, really don't see the difference in being a 6-6 team or 5-7 playing a bowl. I guess one is slightly more mediocre than the other. If WF played UMASS instead of ND last week, would 5-6 WF suddenly be more deserving of a bowl bid if the Deacs beat Cuse? Records are largely a function of how teams schedule OOC games, and how the conference elects to divvy up the conference games.

Except for the CFP, all bowl games are all exhibition games. If the game feels like a reward for the players and coaches play; if not, pass. FWIW, allowing teams to get to a bowl based on their academic progress rate is the one time, where an effort is actually made to reward schools that graduate their players which is a rare time where college football gets something right.

FWIW, didn't mean this thread to be a referendum on 5-7 teams qualifying for bowls or platform for moralists to voice outrage over the horror of a 5-7 team playing an extra game.

I just wasn't sure how realistic it even was for a 5-7 team to qualify for a bowl this year; so, just posted the research on what would need to happen for even the possibility to exist. Was surprised to discover that it's about 50/50 that a 5-7 team might qualify for a bowl invite this season.

Typical for that exercise to devolve into an opportunity about how awful and embarrassing it would be for any 5-7 team to consider playing in an extra game.

I think army has played two fcs schools and only gets to count 1 win, so they are essentially 4-6 for bowl purposes.

Not crazy about a team with a losing record in a bowl, but I'm hoping we make because we definitely need the extra practices. Don't really care if we play some crap team in a crap bowl. They're made for random weeknight TV audiences in December anyway and no one cares about butts in seats.

Not crazy about a team with a losing record in a bowl, but I'm hoping we make because we definitely need the extra practices. Don't really care if we play some crap team in a crap bowl. They're made for random weeknight TV audiences in December anyway and no one cares about butts in seats.
As long as we play Gilliam then it makes sense. If we start Kern, Griffis, or Marucci then it’s a waste of time because none of them will be our QB next year.

I hate the idea of a team with a losing record playing in a bowl game. But if there is going to be a 5-7 team in a bowl game it might has well be Wake.

Clawson said today that if WF gets invited to play in a bowl game after beating Cuse, the Deacs will play...

giphy.gif

You don't have to watch.
Pilchard,

Please know that I have ALWAYS appreciated and agreed with your comments. My concern here, is that if a team like James Madison, whose players have played with their guts out and won lots of games, lose a bowl bid to this Wake team, then something is REALLY WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!! I love Wake Forest and want them to win. We obviously have a serious problem and I have high hopes that Coach Clawson is capable of fixing it. However, this year's team has been a train wreck. We should not be taking bowl bids in place of more deserving schools. If you cannot agree with that, then hell I do not know dude!!!

It’s been literally two and a half years since you posted anything positive at all about the Deacs.

Why do you still come here and post?

James Madison knew that they couldn’t play in a bowl for 2 years when they moved from FCS. Just because they are having a great season doesn’t change what they signed up for.

Count me in all aboard the Deacs playing in a bowl if we get to 5-7. Bowl streak, extra practice, etc... when you say x years of consecutive bowl games, 99% of people wouldn't know or remember being 5-7 and getting in on technicalities.

Count me in all aboard the Deacs playing in a bowl if we get to 5-7. Bowl streak, extra practice, etc... when you say x years of consecutive bowl games, 99% of people wouldn't know or remember being 5-7 and getting in on technicalities.
Just like nobody will remember the Gator Bowl win was over a shitty replacement rutgers team. Gator Bowl win is a Gator Bowl win

Back