• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

7 losses in a row- will that seal the deal on Bzz?

Plot twist: Babydeac is actually Deman and trying to placate the BzOut movement in preparation for a contract extension.

Hope Rusty, Jeff, and Randolph rebound as well as Walt did.

They won't be as fucked over as he was though....

I want to hear from the crowd that was telling me last summer to give him one more chance. You guys happy now? Are you pleased w/ our "cleaned up" program?

We might be squeaky clean, but they washed the talent/basketball IQ away too.

I have very little confidence that Wellman will make a coaching change at the end if this season. I believe that he will cite continued progress, success in the form of culture change, and youth to justify retaining Bz for another year.

That being said, I also have little confidence that Wellman won't do something stupid even if he were to dismiss Bz - such as insisting that the next coach retain the current coaching staff.

That being said, I never want to see anyone lose a job involuntarily, especially those who have meant so much to WFU as this staff. Tough situation that Wellman has created.

I want to hear from the crowd that was telling me last summer to give him one more chance. You guys happy now? Are you pleased w/ our "cleaned up" program?

Ask Jason and Overalls.

It's also possible, if not probable, that we're not squeaky clean. Only time will tell that narrative.

It's also possible, if not probable, that we're not squeaky clean. Only time will tell that narrative.

One would hope Bzzz didn't sell out the program for a bunch of 3-star recruits, but you never know.

One would hope Bzzz didn't sell out the program for a bunch of 3-star recruits, but you never know.

BabyDeac had said many times in the past that this group is still a bunch of college kids, like any other team... but that the stories aren't leaked like they were for Dino's guys because it doesn't support the narrative the AD is selling.

Wellman will never fire Bz, he's too proud and he would NEVER give the appearance that he caved to the negative pressure of over half of the fan base (which is why there will not be a midseason firing)...he cannot give him a contract extension at the end of this season...expect a resignation, much like Grobe's.

However, I do not trust Wellman AT ALL when it comes to hiring our next basketball coach. I really, really think we will be disappointed again.

However, I do not trust Wellman AT ALL when it comes to hiring our next basketball coach. I really, really think we will be disappointed again.

Agreed. The problem is that we're now in a scenario where a Clawson type hire is best case. That shouldn't be the case for a tobacco road ACC school. We were in a much better position to hire after Dino, but Buzz and Wellman have devalued the job to the point that we're going to have to take somewhat of a flyer. If it doesn't turn out well, we're looking a lost decade.

Wellman will never fire Bz, he's too proud and he would NEVER give the appearance that he caved to the negative pressure of over half of the fan base (which is why there will not be a midseason firing)...he cannot give him a contract extension at the end of this season...expect a resignation, much like Grobe's.

Is it not to fair that a resignation will actually be a thinly disguised firing? Wellman really is an arrogant SOB. Wasn't afraid to fire Dino (instead of let him resign, although maybe Dino would have refused), who was at Wake a lot longer than [Redacted] with stronger personal ties. Oh, and of course the name of Dino's mentor / best friend hangs in the rafters. But, [Redacted], objectively one of the worst major conference coaching hires EVER, is allowed to resign?

after the bzz hire wellman was on record talking about how he keeps a list of candidates, he interviewed his candidates and ended up going with his gut and choosing bzz. it sounded very much like there was little, if any others providing input. with clawson it sounded as though at least another person and later hatch flew to meet with clawson during the process.

any idea of more people were involved with this hire? my only hope is that at this point wellman had a shorter leash and less trust so he was required to include others in the process (if not the final decision). probably a fools hope with this crew.

From what I was told, Wellman consulted colleagues and allowed input in regards to the Clawson hire. He will not do that with basketball. Wellman wants control of the basketball program. No matter what our program has become under Bz, basketball is still the face of Wake Forest athletics and Wellman is heavily involved...which (I think) is why Dino was fired. He wasn't a "yes" man, and he ran his team the way he thought best with the personnel available. He recruited winners and future NBA stars and not "Wake Forest" men. Bz is a "yes" man. He does what he is told. When Wellman says Bz has done everything asked of him since he was hired, he isn't lying.

We won't get anyone we want, and he will probably keep the search very close to the vest. He won't allow input and he will hire a someone he thinks he can control.

We won't get anyone we want, and he will probably keep the search very close to the vest. He won't allow input and he will hire a someone he thinks he can control.

Does that mean he is sure his job is secure and plans on sticking around for 5+ more years? Any hopes that he takes a position with the ACC/NCAA are out? I always assumed that was a false hope just because of the silly amount of $$ we pay him at Wake. Such a huge drain on our AD finances, especially for a small school that struggles compared to larger institutions.

Does that mean he is sure his job is secure and plans on sticking around for 5+ more years? Any hopes that he takes a position with the ACC/NCAA are out? I always assumed that was a false hope just because of the silly amount of $$ we pay him at Wake. Such a huge drain on our AD finances, especially for a small school that struggles compared to larger institutions.

Wellman is "FIGJAM"...I am 100% positive he has no worries when it comes to job security. None. He IS the GOAT in his mind.

From what I was told, Wellman consulted colleagues and allowed input in regards to the Clawson hire. He will not do that with basketball. Wellman wants control of the basketball program. No matter what our program has become under Bz, basketball is still the face of Wake Forest athletics and Wellman is heavily involved...which (I think) is why Dino was fired. He wasn't a "yes" man, and he ran his team the way he thought best with the personnel available. He recruited winners and future NBA stars and not "Wake Forest" men. Bz is a "yes" man. He does what he is told. When Wellman says Bz has done everything asked of him since he was hired, he isn't lying.

<cough> Rusty <cough> or Randolph <cough>

Last edited:

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm stoked!

Back