• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

7 losses in a row- will that seal the deal on Bzz?

Wellman will never fire Bz, he's too proud and he would NEVER give the appearance that he caved to the negative pressure of over half of the fan base (which is why there will not be a midseason firing)...he cannot give him a contract extension at the end of this season...expect a resignation, much like Grobe's.

However, I do not trust Wellman AT ALL when it comes to hiring our next basketball coach. I really, really think we will be disappointed again.
My feelings as well. Especially the part about not trusting Wellman.

I hope Wellman does what is best for Wake Forest basketball and athletics and not what is best for this antiquated brand he is trying to build.

we had a brand. it was a good one. amazing what one man has been allowed to do.

we had a brand. it was a good one. amazing what one man has been allowed to do.

Wellman's action and leadership remind me of former BAC CEO Ken Lewis who almost single handed destroyed the company when he engineered the CountryWide transaction back in 2008...

I hope Wellman does what is best for Wake Forest basketball and athletics and not what is best for this antiquated brand he is trying to build.

I just hold out hope that Wellman used up most of his capital with the BoT when he sold them [Redacted] and they will look on with a more critical eye this time around. Probably a fool's hope though....

From what I was told, Wellman consulted colleagues and allowed input in regards to the Clawson hire. He will not do that with basketball. Wellman wants control of the basketball program. No matter what our program has become under Bz, basketball is still the face of Wake Forest athletics and Wellman is heavily involved...which (I think) is why Dino was fired. He wasn't a "yes" man, and he ran his team the way he thought best with the personnel available. He recruited winners and future NBA stars and not "Wake Forest" men. Bz is a "yes" man. He does what he is told. When Wellman says Bz has done everything asked of him since he was hired, he isn't lying.

We won't get anyone we want, and he will probably keep the search very close to the vest. He won't allow input and he will hire a someone he thinks he can control.

If this is correct, then there will be no peace in the fan base until Wellman is gone. Shame on the university for allowing Wellman to become a law unto himself. The optimistic view might be that after the Buzz fiasco Hatch will never again give Wellman a free hand on hires, just like he appears not to have done so in the case of Clawson.

I have said all along that the Bz hate from the fans has been misdirected.

All Bz did was accept his dream job and the large salary that goes along with it. Something we all would have done.

Wellman hired his man...Wellman has kept his man...

We won't get anyone we want, and he will probably keep the search very close to the vest. He won't allow input and he will hire a someone he thinks he can control.

Other than fairly unrealistic candidates like Shaka Smart and Gregg Marshall, I'm not sure there is a board consensus on who we would want.

All Bz did was accept his dream job and the large salary that goes along with it. Something we all would have done.

Pos Rep for you my friend...My sentiments exactly! WELLMAN OUT!!!

[/B]

If this is correct, then there will be no peace in the fan base until Wellman is gone. Shame on the university for allowing Wellman to become a law unto himself. The optimistic view might be that after the Buzz fiasco Hatch will never again give Wellman a free hand on hires, just like he appears not to have done so in the case of Clawson.

I think that if they allow Wellman to screw up the next basketball hire, "Wake Will" will quickly become known as "Wake Won't".

I think that if they allow Wellman to screw up the next basketball hire, "Wake Will" will quickly become known as "Wake Won't".

I talked with one of the fundraisers for that and they are definitely getting a lot of flack about Bz and the state of the basketball program.

I mean...maybe. To an extent.

But [Redacted] has been a complete asshole to the fans in his time here and hasn't even attempted to build a relationship with us.

From his, "they've never built anything successful in their lives" comment and the like during his first year an onward to this year, he has actively gone about trying to blame us instead of having a hard, long look in the mirror.

Wellman deserves plenty of criticism and ire, but [Redacted] isn't absolved in my book.

Major concern for me is Wellman's statement of we will not take shortcuts. We all know that a good coach can see dramatic progress in two years, wonder if that is considered a short cut?

But [Redacted] has been a complete asshole to the fans in his time here and hasn't even attempted to build a relationship with us.

From his, "they've never built anything successful in their lives" comment and the like during his first year an onward to this year, he has actively gone about trying to blame us instead of having a hard, long look in the mirror.

Wellman deserves plenty of criticism and ire, but [Redacted] isn't absolved in my book.

This. I don't see why it's so hard to accept both that Wellman is responsible for this mess (and for the circumstances in which we have directed our ire at Buzz) and that [Redacted] has been miserable in every capacity of his job as head coach.

Agree with your post about Bz but the responsibility for causing this travesty falls at Wellmans feet...

I always read short cuts as code for we won't take JUCO's.

...but we'll take low-major PG-transfers. We've taken like two JuCos in my time as a Wake fan, IIRC.

Wake has not really been a short cut-taking team in my lifetime. Maybe it has been in yours, but all Wellman's justifications have done is to help ease the pain of [Redacted]'s shocking incompetence on the recruiting trail. Almost all of the highly ranked 2015 and 2016 prospects are just as likely to one or two-and-done as the "egregious" past examples, so often brought up by the Wellmanite BuzzIn fringe.

I always read short cuts as code for we won't take JUCO's.

...but we'll take low-major PG-transfers. We've taken like two JuCos in my time as a Wake fan, IIRC.

Wake has not really been a short cut-taking team in my lifetime. Maybe it has been in yours, but all Wellman's justifications have done is to help ease the pain of [Redacted]'s shocking incompetence on the recruiting trail. Almost all of the highly ranked 2015 and 2016 prospects are just as likely to one or two-and-done as the "egregious" past examples, so often brought up by the Wellmanite BuzzIn fringe.

I agree 100%. Bz has been a complete jerk and has accepted no responsibility for teams losses or problems.

Just know that the Bz apple didn't roll too far from the Wellman tree.

Back