• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

A look back at the "culture"-less Deacs gone by....

DeaconOEF/OIFvet

Reaction score
2009 Duke game

Five seasons ago. Those clips from Duke-Wake were only 5 seasons ago. That's how long it takes to completely destroy a basketball program.

To get to the real root of the problem with WF athletics, I think it can all be agreed upon that much of it lies at the Athletic Department. Five years ago we were frequently seen on ESPN with flashes of greatness...

I mean just look at these uncultured guys dunking on their opponents..

jeff_teague.jpg

20090111-232317-pic-626659546_t607.jpg

Mocking them after a crossover...

rchildress.jpg

Yelling at the stands after a big time block...

84a178c4-a161-de11-92c9-001cc494dda6_original.jpg

chest thumping....

chris-paul.jpg

.. and getting the fans all riled up and far too loud.

mKvD0o5RWEBkTaWktX0-Y6w.jpg

This is what was supposedly wrong with the Athletic Department. This is what we are being told we can never go back to. By taking us away from this we are told that Bz and Ron are "protecting the integrity of the university."

I call BS. And so, for my 1,000th post I say fuck you Bz and Ron. I want my college basketball sports season back.

Great post. Would read again. That James Johnson dunk and "non foul" on Danny Green is one of my favorite thuggery moments.

Wasn't the Teague-Johnson class considered relatively unheralded when they arrived? Both were somewhere between top-40 and top-100. That turned out pretty well for us.

Funny how things change. Today, Ron Wellman would trumpet a class ranked that high as the greatest achievement in the history of Wake athletics.

Great post. Would read again. That James Johnson dunk and "non foul" on Danny Green is one of my favorite thuggery moments.

<Carolina fan> Technical foul on Johnson. Look at how much he is bending the rim. <Carolina fan>

And more...

a_gray_il.jpg

Shocking.

img6830061.jpg

I couldn't find the throat slash pic of this cultureless thug.

Wasn't the Teague-Johnson class considered relatively unheralded when they arrived? Both were somewhere between top-40 and top-100. That turned out pretty well for us.

Funny how things change. Today, Ron Wellman would trumpet a class ranked that high as the greatest achievement in the history of Wake athletics.

That class was 30th. They were that low primarily because there were only three of them.

It's laughable to think that the current team is "cultured" or in some way above teams of the past after a couple of the things I've witnessed on campus. Not saying they're bad kids by any stretch, but they're definitely not choir boys. They're just college kids being college kids. The whole culture argument infuriates me.

Yeah. I thought he'd be one of those journeyman talents that just stuck around. Shame if this is it.

That Teague dunk over Neal is a top five Deac sports moment for me. I literally fell back in my seat when that happened.

And more...

a_gray_il.jpg

Shocking.

img6830061.jpg

Nice. I wanted to throw in a pic of Chill's sneer at the Carolina crowd at the 95' ACC tournament, but could only find videos of it on Youtube.

Nice. I wanted to throw in a pic of Chill's sneer at the Carolina crowd at the 95' ACC tournament, but could only find videos of it on Youtube.

Chill threw his gum into the Duke crowd after one of his buzzer beaters at Cameron. The other time he launched the ball into the crowd. Thug.

UGH, another one of the worst moments in Wake Forest History. If I recall, we were something like 60/60 from the line, #1 in the country, and Taron -- our best free throw shooter -- could clench the game. Instead, he bricks, and we lose to Florida State in overtime.

I'd donate an organ or two to get that back. There needs to be a campaign for Wake fans to protest the athletic department by donating more organs than Jeff [Redacted] has ACC wins in his entire career thus far. You want to talk about gaining some national exposure and forcing some answers from the University. Stratton bro's, lineup a good surgeon.

Back